Need a new EDC pocketknife (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 2 cents... Benchmade Pardue Design Combo Edge Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180GQWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jGx6zbFWQW4VF
This is a light weight sleek design that perfectly suits my EDC needs. Normally used a larger auto benchmade for heavier duty purposes while in military uniform. The Pardue design is sleek and doesn't leave a large signature in your pocket or while utilizing the pocket clip. Good luck!

View attachment 1558425
That looks like a nice one. The 940 also has my eye, but it's kinda pricey..

Speaking of the 111mm SAK's..I really do like them a lot, but there's a couple of things that make them unsuitable for what I need here. No pocket clip - I need to be able to get the knife out with gloves on and when I'm wet and in awkward positions. These SAK's (and also the SOG trident that came before the Griptillian) are very susceptible to sand, crud, metal filings, die grinder cuttings, concrete and other deleterious material getting into and messing up the lock mechanism and springs. Never had that issue with the Griptillian. These things and many others are great outdoor tools, but they're not the heavy duty tool I'm looking for.

L to R
-My old rucksack (blade + saw and other normal SAK tools) from the mid to late 90's, that I used a ton for a number of years. EDC, hunting, camping, etc. Darn near perfect all around outdoor knife/tool.
-Another NOS Rucksack from ebay just in case..:hillbilly:
-Skipper (pliers and marlin spike- a gift I have never really used)
- Trailmaster (another gift, have used a bit - like the rucksack tools but half serrated and with different blade shape/lock)
- Hunter XT. I've used this thing to process a couple deer, and wow that curved blade opens them up and splits hide on legs better than any guthookive ever tried. Has a saw too.
View attachment 1558380
One thing I Really appreciate about the serrated blades on these, is that the serrations are cut from the right to left, opposite of what nearly everyone (except the serrated blade on the leatherman wave) does. It lets you carve/shave wood or other materials so much easier and really the serrations don't even get in the way when cutting food, shaving bark off a limb, etc. the Gerbers/Kershaws/etc with the alternating size serrations cut from the left side kinda suck for those tasks.
The other "different" thing is that the serrations are at the end of the blade, and the straight portion is nearest the handle - you can sharpen a pencil or do fine cuts in wood a lot easier that way.

Did I mention I kinda like knives :flipoff2:

NICE!!! I rock the trailmaster, albeit, in woodland camo with a Uline logo slowly wearing off of it...

Not wanting an assisted opener that draws attention, nor a liner lock, would probably rule out most Kershaws, but I've been really happy with 2 that I've bought in the last year. One in particular was a door buster deal at Bass Pro Shops this past June for $15! The tip might be a little fragile for what you need but I've gotten to like how pointy it is. I like having the 2 edges for some reason. It's also pretty heavy in the hand. The clip can even be moved to any of the 4 possible locations. I've never tried to use it with gloves but imagine that the liner lock wouldn't like them. I think the AXIS lock is far better for that. I have no experience with an AXIS under $75, though.

41AZh-ZowoL.jpg

If you can handle a liner lock, check out the Avispa. Large blade, light weight, offered in various blade steels and handle colors. Thin blade. I carried the $28 AUS8 model for a couple years and can't complain at all for the money. Very lightweight. Easy enough to sharpen. I've got a bunch of them scattered in various vehicles and bags. I'd buy another. The black coating is very cheap and will come off quickly. The thumb stud might be too close to the handle to be quickly opened with gloves.

It's well out of your budget, but I've carried a Benchmade RIFT Axis for most of the last 10-12 years. I'd replace it in a heartbeat, except with a non-serrated model. Can't say I like sharpening the 154CM steel but it does hold an edge very well. The larger Contego model would be my choice if I needed a larger blade, but I have a hard time justifying a folder with a 5" blade, especially for EDC.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm bored this morning. Keep us posted.

My EDC is reasonably priced Kershaw Scallion. I work in a corp office and it's sleek / small enough not to trigger the liberals :rolleyes:

I bought my wife one of those as a wedding present specifically because it was small and easy for her to handle. Yes it was a wedding present, we weren't exactly wealthy at the time and she didn't have one so I thought it was something she could actually use.

I don't have to worry about that side of things so I like a larger blade. I think in the sub $50 range the the kershaws are very hard to beat as far as blade steel goes, even the $20 ones hold up very well and are super easy to sharpen. I have a couple Kershaws, (I used to to go the Christmas factory seconds sale in Portland when I lived there). The few that I have feature very fragile pointy tips (Leek) or very thinly ground edges (Clash) which are not ideal for a hard use knife. I am also a tad leery of carrying something that someone with the ability to cause a lot of headache could interpret as being a switchblade, legal as it may be...

If you like a bigger / tougher folder I'm a big fan of the now discontinued line of cold steel voyagers. These are the older ones with the straight handles that were made in Japan Cold Steel Large Voyager VG-1 4 inch Tanto Blade Plain Edge Metal Clip that's a tanto version. I have used a clip point version as an edc for the last 10years. A lot of people might say its too big, but you don't really notice it after a while. What I really like is that you get the full 4'' that many states limit you with. That and they take a beating. I use mine for all kinds of stuff that I shouldn't and in fact it spends most of the year in a fairly dull state. Occasionally I will sharpen it up and feel better knowing that If I get into a once in a lifetime pocket knife fight with someone I will probably have a reach advantage over whatever little cutter they pull out.

My personal favorite is the Protech Runt J4. A little bit more expensive but great steel and it pits up with lots of abuse cutting things that a knife of this quality should not be used for... cardboard, CAT5 cable... bad stuff!

I also really like the Keyshawn Scallion or the Chive if you are looking for something smaller. These have great locks which the Runt does not have... and they are much less expensive but the blade not hold an edge as well.

This is my EDC, i admit it is a bit over kill. Half the year i live out in rural Wyoming. It is perfect there. The other half i live in downtown Atlanta. I just came back to Atlanta and am in the process of trying to adjust. The other day I was in Trader Joes in a very nice downtown Atlanta neighborhood buying coffee. I couldn't get the foil seal open and with out thinking about it i flipped open the XM18. Nobody said anything but i did get a few looks. Its not exactly a small or discreet EDC.

rDV6145.jpg

How do you guys keep loosing knives? I don’t get that. I have two Emerson’s that I have carried for 20 years and still going strong. Yes they are expensive upfront but the quality and craftsmanship are well worth the price. Granted I use mine quite regularly but I don’t abuse them.

I have a designated place at Home where my keys, wallet, money clip and other normal daily carry items are kept. I also travel regularly and I still am able to keep up with my carry items. I am not cracking on you guys. I just don’t understand not having a set routine to keep your items at hand and available.

CRKT fossil is EDC for me when I'm not working - need something a bit more discreet for office use.
Side note: my previous EDC was also a CRKT that after many years of rough use, I chipped the tip of one of the serrations and wanted to take CRKT up on their lifetime warranty.
They were all too happy to pony up. They had discontinued my previous knife and let me pick any knife of similar value so props to CRKT.

79c0386cf6438293f2dd1eb23fa44604.jpg

How do you guys keep loosing knives? I don’t get that. I have two Emerson’s that I have carried for 20 years and still going strong. Yes they are expensive upfront but the quality and craftsmanship are well worth the price. Granted I use mine quite regularly but I don’t abuse them.

I have a designated place at Home where my keys, wallet, money clip and other normal daily carry items are kept. I also travel regularly and I still am able to keep up with my carry items. I am not cracking on you guys. I just don’t understand not having a set routine to keep your items at hand and available.
I have a Fisher Space Pen that's been in my right front pocket (along with an 84mm small Tinker) for ~10+ years. I've only ever lost larger knives with pocket clips. It's a trade off - some, like the SOG's have a low riding clip with virtually no knife exposed at the pocket, but are much more difficult to retrieve. Others, like my Benchmade that turned up missing, are much easier to get at and therefore easier to come out and get lost. It may not be an issue for some folks, but I spend time climbing around on machinery, wearing fall protection harnesses, crawling under things, etc. Things get snagged and caught - I guess it's the price you pay for having something accessible and ready when you need it, and can't use both hands to dig for it.

I did get the Rat 1 in! It's a big knife. I got orange thinking it's easier to see should I misplace it... :doh:
IMG_8058.JPG

First impressions are that fit and finish are superb. Amazingly good in light of the $35 price tag. Grind is perfectly symmetrical, and its wicked sharp. Shaves with ease, better factory edge than the Benchmade. It's a full flat grind and is a great slicer on veggies.

IMG_8057.JPG

I haven't got a chance to really wring it out yet, but I am already pretty sure I won't be happy with anything less than another blade with the Axis lock.

The liner lock doesn't afford too much purchase and must be deliberately disengaged. It's certainly not as elegant in operation as the axis lock. I never used the thumb stud on the Griptillian, just pulled the axis lock down and flipped it open.

Will update after some use..

This is my EDC, i admit it is a bit over kill. Half the year i live out in rural Wyoming. It is perfect there. The other half i live in downtown Atlanta. I just came back to Atlanta and am in the process of trying to adjust. The other day I was in Trader Joes in a very nice downtown Atlanta neighborhood buying coffee. I couldn't get the foil seal open and with out thinking about it i flipped open the XM18. Nobody said anything but i did get a few looks. Its not exactly a small or discreet EDC.

rDV6145.jpg
I'd really be bummed to loose one of those!

My 2 cents... Benchmade Pardue Design Combo Edge Knife https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00180GQWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jGx6zbFWQW4VF
This is a light weight sleek design that perfectly suits my EDC needs. Normally used a larger auto benchmade for heavier duty purposes while in military uniform. The Pardue design is sleek and doesn't leave a large signature in your pocket or while utilizing the pocket clip. Good luck!

View attachment 1558425

I carry one of these myself, 154cm satin spear-point. Great knife, really thin and light. There is also a new drop point plain edge in s30v which I would prefer.

I’ve always been a big fan of spyderco knives. I like the police modelnif you like a large knife, the rescue with a combo blade, or the delica. All are awesome knives.

I have used a SOG Flash II for years. I like it because it stays sharp has assisted opening (my preference), is really light, and has the low carry clip that doesn't show any knife in my pocket (unfortunately, that last part is somewhat important with increased security everywhere, and in a blue state).

Speaking of that, I have had to "hide" it several times to avoid confiscation at venue metal detectors, once I put it beneath my wallet and keys in the little tray, and once kept it in my hand that held keys and wallet during a "wanding," but definitely unnecessary stress (even though I think they were primarily concerned with firearms or explosives).

I also have a CRKT assisted opening, which I like, but it's MUCH heavier and has a high carry clip, so that goes with me on camping trips etc. The Gerbers are nice, but far less smooth opening for me, even lubricated, so they definitely feel cheaper.

CRKT fossil is EDC for me when I'm not working - need something a bit more discreet for office use.
Side note: my previous EDC was also a CRKT that after many years of rough use, I chipped the tip of one of the serrations and wanted to take CRKT up on their lifetime warranty.
They were all too happy to pony up. They had discontinued my previous knife and let me pick any knife of similar value so props to CRKT.

79c0386cf6438293f2dd1eb23fa44604.jpg

Based on this I found CRKT on Amazon and picked up a fossil for my nephew for Christmas as well as got one for myself once I got his and felt it. Current EDC is a Gerber mini-tanto, been a great little knife over the last few years for my EDC but felt like upgrading.

Update - So far I’ve been pretty happy with the Rat, especially for the price. The blade shape is just great for all kinds of tasks, edge retention has been noticeably better than the Griptillian believe it or not. I’ve only touched it up on ceramic a couple of times and I have been using it every day. The full flat grind is a much better slicer on thick cardboard, food items and making slices off wood chunks to start the fireplace than the grip was. It of course doesn’t fold back up as easily, safely or quickly as the axis lock but I’m getting used to it. If it’s an emergency it still deploys just as fast - just doesn’t go back in the pocket as quick.
FDB37E91-37FC-4FFE-B14E-8356ADB09F41.jpeg
72A44104-267D-4486-ADB0-2A03A09C36DA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom