Need a new air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
My hand me down Speedaire single stage finally quit after 10 years of reliable service. It previously was the compressor that ran air tools in a dental practice for at least 10 years. But the motor seized and I'm not fixing it.

So it's time for an upgrade. I want one that has at least a 60 gallon tank, dual stage etc. My garage is already plumbed for air and there's a 220v outlet right where the compressor will go. Can't have too much motor though, since the compressor circuit is only a 30 amp breaker.

Saw this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNIAFVM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Also like the looks of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Quincy-Splas...0430723&sr=8-1&keywords=quincy+air+compressor

Anyway, budget up to $1500. Would love some suggestions.

Andy,

I ran (still in the WY shop) an Industrial Air 3.7HP 60 gallon single stage for years. Paint cars, run air tools and a plethora of other things. Never had one issue. I even bought a small roll around for field/yard projects. Less than most, but the reliability was spot on for 8 years and counting for me.

With the move I stepped up to a dual stage 80; but that's twice out of your budget range. Bought all 3 from this site.

Air Compressors Direct | Your Online Air Compressor Store

Jason

I've bought two on Craigslist over the years for different buildings for a fraction of the price. Something like $200 or less, just an idea. Compressors are pretty basic and easy to test.

Andy,

I ran (still in the WY shop) an Industrial Air 3.7HP 60 gallon single stage for years. Paint cars, run air tools and a plethora of other things. Never had one issue. I even bought a small roll around for field/yard projects. Less than most, but the reliability was spot on for 8 years and counting for me.

With the move I stepped up to a dual stage 80; but that's twice out of your budget range. Bought all 3 from this site.

Air Compressors Direct | Your Online Air Compressor Store

Jason

That's a good link. They have a great selection. Good discussion in the rating comments too.

Ok, I will say this your on the right track looking for a 2 stage and looking for a reputable brands. Quincy has a great name, and still do sell a some great product though at considerably higher price point. I am in the same boat and I am just going to save a few more pennies and limp my pos along a little longer and this summer some time order the last Compressor I will ever have to buy, an optioned out Salyor Beall 705 pump, 5hp baldor single phase, 80gal, with mag start, aftercooler and auto drains........ With maintenance, it will last me dam near forever

1st thing to wonder is what you are going to be running with this thing and its air requirements and if your going to need it to keep up with your SCFM needs while on constant run if your going to be pushing it to that point. So what are you using this for and how much are you going to use it.......

Ok now that is out of the way. That Quincy is a decent home owner grade unit, and will likely last you a while. While the motor on those is a Baldor IIRC the pumps are made in Taiwan, and tend to start to leak after couple of years. Most all sub 2k compressors are going to be reed valve units with imported pumps form India/Taiwan/China with out any other real add on's or features..... If you are ok with that then you will be just fine with just about anything so just get the color you like when its on sale and depending on your use it will likely last you a very long time for hobby/home use. I do HIGHLY suggest you purchase or build an aftercooler for it to help with the water accumulation in your tank, will help keep your air system dryer and help your water traps live longer

Last edited:
I've had the Quincy one you linked for 3 years. Zero issues. I've painted a vehicle and have had no issues with moisture in the lines. I run a combo filter/regulator and a motor guard toilet paper style moisture filter. It recovers fast.

It's been a great compressor and I'll probably not need another one for a long time. If I was doing it again I'd potentially step up to the 80 gallon Quincy unit - Quincy 251CP80VCB QT Pro 5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor 230 Volt 1-Phase. I've read it's quieter then the v style pump one I have now. And another 20 gallon might help die grinders, sanders, etc cycle the compressor less.

^

how often do you drain your tank, Living in the muggy south I would highly highly recommend an aftercooler. The air temp coming out of that 2ed stage head is going to pushing 300*F if not a bit past that, that much heat holds lots of moisture that will condense in the bottom of your tank. Your traps are catching the bulk of it before it gets to your tools, but its still in the system its the just physics of how air compression works. Aftercoolers cool that compressed air between the HP orifce and the tank and normally you install a auto drain or a trap between it and the tank so you keep your air that much dryer.

Where I live the humidity is extremely low. When I drain my existing taps, I get either a few drops or nothing.

That Quincy looks like it has a tap that's easy to access-It's out on one of the legs.

I'll look into aftercoolers. If easy to install, that sounds like a good idea, though my need is less given the relative humidity here.

^

how often do you drain your tank, Living in the muggy south I would highly highly recommend an aftercooler. The air temp coming out of that 2ed stage head is going to pushing 300*F if not a bit past that, that much heat holds lots of moisture that will condense in the bottom of your tank. Your traps are catching the bulk of it before it gets to your tools, but its still in the system its the just physics of how air compression works. Aftercoolers cool that compressed air between the HP orifce and the tank and normally you install a auto drain or a trap between it and the tank so you keep your air that much dryer.

Weekly but I'm not always as consistent as I probably should. I considered an auto drain but running an old hose to the outside of the shop is so much cheaper. I do have noticeable water to drain and I'm sure an after cooler would help.

Got any links to affordable units?

Weekly but I'm not always as consistent as I probably should. I considered an auto drain but running an old hose to the outside of the shop is so much cheaper. I do have noticeable water to drain and I'm sure an after cooler would help.

Got any links to affordable units?
You can build one out of a auto trans cooler and some pressure rated line, you can use an A/C condenser you have laying around and the same, or you can buy one form quincy if you can find the part number. but thats going to a bit more costly, something as simple as pressure rated hose into a 30 gal drum of cool/cold water before you get to your tank will work as well. I would put a Trap or auto drain on the line pre tank though.....

I dont know as I have not ever seen any flow tests, but I would be concerned with the A/C condenser or AT cooler that it could bottle neck CFM output when using high volume tools and the compressor is on constant run trying to keep up. So I would be looking at something a little more application specific, if thats something you have a concern about.

It looks like I'll be buying a 60 gallon dual stage from Air Compressors direct. The problem is, the model I want is not available until May 3. Not a huge deal.

I could use some advice about filters and pressure regulation. My old compressor just regulated to 110 psi and I just used that. This one goes all the way up to 175 psi, so that means I need a pressure regulator, correct? Should I use one of those combo filter and regulator units? Where to buy, and which one?

And should I regulate the pressure before it goes into my copper air piping system or after it comes out at the other end of the garage?

I would appreciate any comments or know how. For a guy that just wants to run a few simple tools and fill tires, this is turning into more of a project than I wanted.

FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Combination Air System Accessories — 1/2in., Filter, Regulator, Model# P39344600VS | Northern Tool + Equipment
I bought an ARO regulator/filter combined like this one. Made by Ingersoll Rand.
I regulate the pressure near the compressor. I sometimes spray paint so I have a moisture remover too.
I don't use an inline lubricator bcause I don't want oil in my air lines.

You stated that you have copper pipes. Are they soldered? Some folks say that is not good though I have some soldered joints too. Its another good reason to rgulate the pressure near the source so you dont burst a pipe or joint.
I use a rubber hose coming out of the air tank so vibrations dont get passed on to the piping.
McMaster Carr sells all sorts of air related stuff, stuff you never knew existed.
You should check their website out.

I have a5hp two stage ingersoll rand compressor. 220V. Its motor burned up after 7 years. I adjusted the max pressure down to 150psi so my new Asian moter wont die as fast.
My cmpressor did not come with a power cord. It required some pretty hefty wire.

Andy,
So which one did you go with.?
Mine is dying right now. Was trying to run a sander and it could not keep up.
I need to step up.
You can PM if you want.

My only suggestion is , when looking to buy an air compressor, don’t be fooled by the advertised horsepower, or the size of the tank, if you are running air tools like grinders, polishers, etc.the higher the CFM (at 90 PSI), the better .
Any oil lubricated compressor that provides 12 or higher cfm @ 90 psi is suitable for medium duty use.
I don’t use air tools in my shop, bought a Makita MAc2400, it is alright for my small shop, very compact but powerful enough, the California Air is another decent one to look at so is Rolair.

Spend more $$$ now, be happier later.
I have this one. Barely keeps up with little blasting cabinet and air grinder.
air compressor

Check TP Tools
Tp Tools

If tool run time is a problem, one inexpensive way to help is to add another tank if space is not a big issue. I have seen some off broken compressors for cheap or even free on craigslist.

Salyor Beall, FS Curtis, or Champion is where I would be putting my money in a standard piston type 2 stage unit. As to get something that is as close to as good from Quincy, IR, Atlas, etc.... your going to be getting up closer to those prices anyway, so why not just get the Salyor from the get go??? But I digress, I still am in drastic need of replacing my compresor and it will be 80gal S/B 705 pump when I do, but my compresor space in the shop is still full of crap my wife and MIL need to get rid of.

Last edited:
Salyor Beall, FS Curtis, or Champion is where I would be putting my money in a standard piston type 2 stage unit. As to get something that is as close to as good from Quincy, IR, Atlas, etc.... your going to be getting up closer to those prices anyway, so why not just get the Salyor from the get go??? But I digress, I still am in drastic need of replacing my compresor and it will be 80gal S/B 705 pump when I do, but my compresor space in the shop is still full of crap my wife and MIL need to get rid of.

I never heard a complaint and have from what I hear consider that brand a great brand but no personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom