Napa radiator experience (100% bad) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had seen threads where people kept blowing Napa radiators but I needed a new rad urgently and they could get me one same day. Didn’t make it 50 miles before it started to leak at the lower seam where the plastic tank attaches.

Instead of towing the rig to my garage to replace it I paid a Napa car care center to do it, for several reasons but mainly laziness and proximity to the exhaust shop I was at when the oem rad let go. Napa would warranty the radiator part but not the labor.

I knew better than to buy their china crap but thought I would luck out. Not so much. Oem t-rad is inbound. And I’ll do the install myself correctly this time.

That's disappointing. You'd expect to at least get more mileage out of it than that. I looked at Napa's remanufactured brake calipers recently and was not impressed by the quality. Good service in the store, though.

That's disappointing. You'd expect to at least get more mileage out of it than that. I looked at Napa's remanufactured brake calipers recently and was not impressed by the quality. Good service in the store, though.
I don’t remember what they called um but everytime we bought them from napa they were reman oem calipers in the box

I don’t remember what they called um but everytime we bought them from napa they were reman oem calipers in the box
Was that the Eclipse series? I don't think they carry them anymore. I could be mistaken, though.

Was that the Eclipse series? I don't think they carry them anymore. I could be mistaken, though.
Yea it was the eclipse series I believe you are right, I don’t think carry them anymore, I put bunch those on 80s and they were yota calipers. Now I would just buy reman from toyotA

I’ve been buying from Napa for decades and I used to think Napa (and carquest before whoever bought them out did so) we’re a little better than the oreilley l/auto zone type stores but anymore I think it’s just the same garbage parts. Also I moved and my local store is awful. So I just won’t go back

well, don't order from toyotapartsdeal.com

the box came severely damaged but the rad looked ok so I took a chance on it. guess what? It's leaking. They won't exchange it for shipping damage because I opened the box. F-them.

well, don't order from toyotapartsdeal.com

the box came severely damaged but the rad looked ok so I took a chance on it. guess what? It's leaking. They won't exchange it for shipping damage because I opened the box. F-them.
The dealerships are the same way. That's why I went to the dealership to pick up one. I am fortunate that I am very close to a dealership that carries these parts regularly. They also are reasonable for pricing.

McGeorge Toyota states "unavailable" on their website and it's due to shipping damages.

The dealerships are the same way. That's why I went to the dealership to pick up one. I am fortunate that I am very close to a dealership that carries these parts regularly. They also are reasonable for pricing.

McGeorge Toyota states "unavailable" on their website and it's due to shipping damages.
Yeah I checked the locals and they wanted over $500 for it and had to order it anyway

Yeah I checked the locals and they wanted over $500 for it and had to order it anyway
Probably not horrible considering your location.

I walked in and paid $402 + tax last week. Considering the possibility that you can walk into your local dealership, inspect it and then reject it right then and there and wait until they bring in another one, so the pain is on them. Unless you're in a hurry. Then tell the dealership to order two because they are usually damaged so you can have a better chance of them getting it right.

Picked up my OEM 16400-66040 in September from Rohrich it was $335 shipped, I'm in Michigan it showed up securely slapped it on there with some new hoses and no issues....

Edit: Oof you're in hawaii....

TYC1918 for less that $200 shipped. It arrived in several days.

Quick story, I broke off the radiator nipple when removing my crank bolt when installing a supercharger pulley :( I knew immediately there was no way to fix it and within minutes I ordered a replacement from RockAuto.

On the subject of radiators, should I just recycle mine?

Replaced it a few days ago cause the stupid nipple for the bypass hose is mostly broken off. Otherwise it doesn't leak and had no issues keeping my vehicle cool.

TYC1918 for less that $200 shipped. It arrived in several days.

Quick story, I broke off the radiator nipple when removing my crank bolt when installing a supercharger pulley :( I knew immediately there was no way to fix it and within minutes I ordered a replacement from RockAuto.
I broke one nipple off on my f250 diesel once. I just drilled and tapped it and jbwelded a brass nipple in and drove it for years that way

On the subject of radiators, should I just recycle mine?

Replaced it a few days ago cause the stupid nipple for the bypass hose is mostly broken off. Otherwise it doesn't leak and had no issues keeping my vehicle cool.
There are a couple folks here that have "successfully" repaired their broken nipple. That was typically don by drilling it and installing a threaded hose nipple along with a lot of epoxy.
Search for radiator nipple.

Not how I would do it these days, but for some folks on a limited budget or tight time frame, it can be done.

Picked up my OEM 16400-66040 in September from Rohrich it was $335 shipped, I'm in Michigan it showed up securely slapped it on there with some new hoses and no issues....

Edit: Oof you're in hawaii....
Similar story here, kinda. Last February ordered mine online (forgot where). Arrived perfect, works the same.
After reading all the horror stories, I'd do online w/local pickup. Wasn't available until last summer.
Super bummer for the OP. Unfortunately a six pack won't help, much.

Similar story here, kinda. Last February ordered mine online (forgot where). Arrived perfect, works the same.
After reading all the horror stories, I'd do online w/local pickup. Wasn't available until last summer.
Super bummer for the OP. Unfortunately a six pack won't help, much.
I don’t have the energy to mess with it right now so I put some bars leak in it hoping to make it to spring before having to replace it.

guys- when in a pinch, hit rockauto and get the koyo/denso or whatever floats your boat if you cant shell out OEM Yota red box

guys- when in a pinch, hit rockauto and get the koyo/denso or whatever floats your boat if you cant shell out OEM Yota red box
The Koyo was more than oem! They want $465 for a Koyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom