Mystery Noise??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
Driving my FJ62 home from work the first time tonight and heard a clanging noise that corresponded to a rotating something. Pulled over and looked underneath and didn't see any loose u-joints or anything hanging down. Started off and noise returned. Pulled over and put it in reverse, backed up, and didn't hear the noise anymore- although it was only a mile at 35 mph at that point. Any idea what I should check? We drove it home 3000 miles and while there were other surprises, this was not one of them.

Rock in brake or a dust shield? Hard to hear it from here

torque converter cover? Pinion flange dust deflector?

See if it corresponds with rpms? Wheel rotation speed? If it happens while coasting in nuetral? Etc ..at least you’ll narrow down where to look from there a little. Good luck!
It does correspond with speed. Going to try messing with it tomorrow, feeling defeated tonight. It sounds like the front right wheel, which corresponds with the brake issue I am having. More tomorrow. Appreciate the responses.

Rock in brake or a dust shield? Hard to hear it from here
You can't hear it all the way in Vermont?? I thought it was loud. lol I don't think its a rock, and the dust shield is in place. Gonna take the wheel off in the morning.

Ok, mystery solved...I think. I took the wheel off yesterday and looked around. Everything looked good. However, when I put the wheel back on, I noticed that the hub was slightly off of "free". Like 1/4". Turned it back to Free and no more noise. The other wheel hub was still in the Free position. I'm gonna go with that.

If your axleshaft was the source of that noise, you’d better get in to it pronto. A grenading birfield cage can lock up your steering. That is something I have personal experience with! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom