Mystery 16Amp battery drain HJ61, 12H-T 24V system - HELP needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you have a fault in your ‘glow system’ most likely

if a ‘door’ button is not depressed it will not and cannot draw any amps
as it it only a ‘switch’ to activate a ‘motor’.

that makes no sense
I'll attempt to address all questions/comments with my understanding of things.

>Comment: "that makes no sense"
The button engages ALL of the unlock actuators. There are 5. If I disconnect 2 of the actuators (so there's now 3 instead of 5), it makes perfect sense to me that when I replicate the "stuck on" button state, the current is reduced because now only 3 of the actuators are contributing rather than 5. It tends to prove that there is no short, but rather the actuators are each contributing. If there was a short, then disabling 2 of the actuators would have resulted in either (1) a reduction to 0 amps, or (2) observance of the original problem - 16 amps.

>Question: "did it take you 30 seconds to measure draw"
I'm not sure what you mean. I measured the current instantaneously. When I "unstick" the button, then 0 amps registers on my 0-30A ammeter. When I create the problem state by making the button stuck on, there's 16amps immediately. The longest I observed was 90 seconds and it remained constant at 16amps the entire 90 seconds. I did not want to leave it on longer for fear it might damage something - regardless of where it is coming from.

>Comment: "like previously reported with +/- 1/3 of the draw after 20-30 seconds"
As mentioned above, the current never changed within each test - whether I observed for 30 secs or 90 secs. Now, I did witness over a period of time (hours, even days) a reduction of current from 16 amps to 13 amps. I believe this is because I tested so many times that the cumulative effect of these tests was that my batteries got weaker and weaker. However, I had fully recharged my batteries with an external charger just before I discovered the lock actuators. So the drain was back up to a constant 16 amps.

> Comments: "you have a fault in your ‘glow system’ most likely"
During testing, I completely disconnect wires to the both of my glow relays. While these wires were disconnected, the 16 amps current was still witnessed. Like DEADSALT, the glow system was one of the first things I thought of which is why I tested this first.
Also noteworthy. Since I discovered the sticking lock button and "unstuck" it, there has been zero drain on my batteries. It fired right up after sitting overnight just like normal.

>Comment: "if a ‘door’ button is not depressed it will not and cannot draw any amps as it it only a ‘switch’ to activate a ‘motor’."
True, if the door lock button is not depressed it will not draw current. The problem was that the button was STUCK in the depressed position. This in turn, activates the relays for ALL 5 door locks. Likewise, the relays (I assume 1 per actuator) remained in a CLOSED state. It was then the actuators, not the switch, that was drawing all of the current. Probably the actual current through the switch/button itself is negligible.

Wish I would have seen you post sooner - I had the same exact issue and could have pointed you in this direction. My batteries were only a couple of months old when it happened. Locked it one night and two days later went to start it and dead. When I got in and went to unlock the doors with my switch I noticed it was stuck in the unlock position but didn't think much of it until I found out it was dead. Charged them both back up and no problems since. Of course every time I lock it with the switch I double check to make sure it is not stuck.

Wish I would have seen you post sooner - I had the same exact issue and could have pointed you in this direction. My batteries were only a couple of months old when it happened. Locked it one night and two days later went to start it and dead. When I got in and went to unlock the doors with my switch I noticed it was stuck in the unlock position but didn't think much of it until I found out it was dead. Charged them both back up and no problems since. Of course every time I lock it with the switch I double check to make sure it is not stuck.
I figured I couldn't be the only person this has happened to. Thanks following up. I will take this as final confirmation. Like you, Paco, now everytime I get out, I triple check to make sure the button isn't stuck.

glad to read that you CSI'ed the problem...great job bro! :cool:

I think I maybe having a similar issue with my 89 HJ61 12H-T 24V. My batteries drain over a week's span. I have two huge AGM batteries though. I'm a little confused with what you mean by the button being stuck. Can you help explain this to me so I an check to see if its happening on my rig? I'm not seeing any weirdness with my locks but I could be missing something. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom