My tire sucks the big time!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

>> I'd bet they absolutely suck on typical street snow and on ice. <<

And on rocks, mud, gravel, concrete, bitumen, shell, and dirt. :D

If Junk wasn't so darned stubborn he would get a set of real trail tyres... something like MT/R's, and give up the poser BS.

(Hey Wob.... you're being called to service.)

-B-

So are you saying Junk would be a candidate for the ultimate poser tire - the mighty TSL Thornbird? Ya gotta love 'em! Guy in my town has them on a late model Xterra and while they look tough to the average Joe/Junk, the truck screams "poser" in capital letters now. As if the taillight grille covers weren't enough (gag). Anyone ever actually back into something that perfectly breaks only the taillight and doesn't hit anything else? C'mon. By the time you've hit something in reverse that's into the taillight I'd think the bumper and a lot of sheetmetal would be toast.

DougM

bwbski, Yea, yoko's website list them as you detailed, but if you click on the pdf file it gives all the current sizes. Kinda confusing :-\
I remember posting that I would be dead before anybody made a true ice radial in a 315/75R16. So far death is very similar to life as I remember. :beer:
Sean

Sipe 'em! I had my Coopers siped at Discount Tire, $10/tire IIRC. I'd say they're very good in snow, woulda been awful without the siping. New Cross Terrains on the wife's 80, she loves them and she's a car girl (lucky me).

A set of 315s X-Terrains from pro comp are sitting at home. Going on this weekend. My issue is with heavy snow and slush more that packed snow as our roads are cleared soon after the storm ends. Another storm comming so I'll see how well they work. Bought them mostly because of their price. The Truxus was almost 300.00 more for a set of 4.

RICK
be careful on icy spots with those, tehy will go up just about any slushy cruddy snowy spot but stopping or turning will be difficult, definitely get them siped.
Dave

Id drive it fist and see but I had a hell of a time with mine. make sure you rotate religously cause once they start to cup the are gone in no time flat. I hated mine but in retrospect the PO put them on and they were slighlty cupped when I got it. down hill from there.
Dave

I have the Road Venture AT SUV: 275/70/16. I bought them at a small family-owned shop in Garfield, NJ.

IMHO, yes, the Cruiser is good in snow versus most vehicles out there, but compared to an Audi or Subaru......no bid. The major downfall being stopping and lateral movement....both pretty critical when driving in snow.

thanks parker21,

I'll agree about the Audi in the snow. I had an A8 for a couple of years car was simply awesome (for a car). Got about 23mpg at 100mph per the computer, would get to the end of the paved road in a hurry then I had to get out and walk.

andre

Ditto on the Audi, I've had seven AWD cars, great in snow but still no comparison to the LC.

I've had a '97 A6 Quattro wagon, a '99 Montero (w/AWD feature), and now an AWD Subaru wagon share the garage with the 80 over the years. All had dedicated snow tires. The Cruiser would handily kick all their asses except naturally the Audi and Sube will out maneuver it. But they'd obviously out maneuver it in the dry as well.

Agreed a smaller lighter AWD car remains best for emergency handling.

However, when things are ugly with plow leavings, piles of slush, at speed on an unplowed freeway, etc the 80 simply blasts along using its mass to advantage. Doesn't get knocked around or pushed by whatever surface variations are occurring. The smaller cars can't hammer that stuff into submission as well and get moved around more easily.

Overall though I'd have to say that a lighter more maneuverable car is the fastest way to get around a typical town when there's a lot of snow around. Heck, I can put the Sube in an ice mode where it starts in 2nd gear and floor it from a standing start on packed snow. Nearly zero wheel spin. On the other hand, I was fooling around leaving my neighborhood today and nearly got sucked into the ditch by a line of plow leavings. Hmmmm.....

DougM

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=8594;start=msg73740#msg73740 date=1071035716]
Where do you get these special effects? Do you secretly work for LucasFilms? [/quote]

They are all here in the forum. I'm no techie like T. :flipoff2:

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=8594;start=msg73740#msg73740 date=1071035716]
On the plus side, they are both black and round... Plus my gonads twitch when I stare at them too long - does that count?[/quote]

What else do you need. :flipoff2: My TSL's aren't bad on the road unless they sit over night, or it's cold, or I try to drive them more than 20mph on black top... blah blah blah. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8594;start=msg73744#msg73744 date=1071035992]
If Junk wasn't so darned stubborn he would get a set of real trail tyres... something like MT/R's, and give up the poser BS.[/quote]
I call it first :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom