My stolen recovered fj60 rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beno, I just put the parts in the dish washer on gentle cycle:). Can you think of anything I need to pay extra attention to when I get it apart? I have had 2 driver 60s and never had any issues with Hvac duct or hot/cold problems. I have a very firm grasp on the work, just not sure of any design issues that need attention, or problem/wear parts.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Maybe this will show the a few of the issues I was talking about with the quarter bob. You can see the bracing, and how it effects the amount you can cut. See edge of tailgate for reference.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Today is the 6th anniversary of getting galaxie and the fj60 back. I have been putting some time in it finally. Got it lined up to go back to my painter for a few touch ups. Have a few more small parts to find and a lot of little details to finish.
The details are the hardest, most time consuming and expensive. Decided to change up a few things. Added Australian door cards. Used stainless riv nuts so I could make the whole thing match with Kevin’s black wrinkles windows, panels and seat box and stainless fasteners . Got a set of trail Tailor b pillars powder coated wrinkle black and had a spare glove box door done in black wrinkle while I was at it. Still might pull the dash out of my parts truck and have it done in wrinkle black. I haven’t decided if I want that much black. Other than dark brown carpet, custom brown seats and a few pieces of trim it is all wrinkle black anyway.
Got a set of stripes getting cut for it. Liking the photoshop version. Ordered a set of 16” wheel vintique series 12 16” wheels and 295/75r16 BFGoodrich at’s
Got everything here to wrap it up. Getting close.

3BA3C886-0DB5-439E-B64E-480CD2ED5C2C.jpeg

70C72E39-5C2A-4980-AD17-A09860FDE7C6.jpeg

9D33335E-3FE5-49DF-92FE-457D7A06A703.jpeg

image.jpg

I got my wheels in the other day, still waiting on the tires to come in. I Painted the wheels dark machine grey. As I was painting them I was looking at 3 sets of cruiser wheels, 2 sets of chevrolet wheels and a set of ford wheels that are powder coated. I usually powder coat wheels because they are used and have to be blasted, makes it an easy choice. On the 60 i have had aluminum champion bead locks, black steel wheels and the early hub cap wheels that are on it now. not sure if i wanted black or machine grey, figured I would start with machine grey paint, makes it a little easier to change later. Bumpers and sliders are wrinkle black, The body stripe has the browns and the black stripe to tie that all together. I still think the contrasting grey wheel will look better.
When I decided to go with the black australian door cards and have the Trail Tailor b pillar covers powder coated wrinkle black, I ordered the darker carpet. I had a complete sewn carpet set made in the light brown that matched the factory carpet made when it was at the painter. I think The darker carpet looks better with all the black panels. Not sure if the door handle cups and window cranks will not get changed to black. That would be easy because they are available new, but then comes the door pockets, padded handle/arm rest and pockets. I will not paint them but would consider trying rit dye.
I removed the headliner around the doors to facilitate running the wiring to my auto dimming, back up camera, compass, temp rearview mirror. The Wit's End mirror bracket is sexy, but now I am hunting a factory am/fm radio because I have no use for the flip out screen radio. I Hope there is nothing else crosses my path that will require changes, not to mention expensive ones.
I really want to put full detroit lockers front and rear. I have a couple sets of spare 4.88 geared arb'd third members, but that would leave me with open 4.88 sets that I have no use for. I am also thoroughly convinced that only people that dont know how to drive a locked vehicle on road and never wheel, are the biggest fans of air lockers. To have the single most important modification to off road capability be as problematic and such a rube goldberg device seems ridiculous. Having to buy detroits is the only negitive.
As I was typing this my rear view mirror and new windshield wiper linkage were delivered. I am not so sure the wiring for the mirror is going to fit behind the a pillar easily. I am pretty sure the windshield will have to come out so I can pull the front of the new headliner down. That's all easy enough, but damn... I will know after a few minutes of fooling with it. Sometimes the easy way requires much bigger steps and back tracking.

Last edited:
Who the hell steals a dog....WTF

Hope they get whatever is coming to them. Glad you got everything back.

Found the piece of brown plastic trim that goes over the latch on the rear seat bottom. It is on its way with some 40 parts I was hunting.
Lcwizard sent me some really nice u bolt flip kits for the front and rear. There is not really that many people making custom products for Fj60’s. I have few parts from the guys I have found that really impress me.
Lcwizard 4plusproducts makes amazing stuff and his products are bombproof.
NLXTACY Wits’ End mirror bracket is anabsolutely top shelf, waiting to see the glovebox liner. He really does have a soultion to problems I did not know I had.
Trail Tailor b pillars are next level pieces. They tie in my whole interior and fixed something that will now never need attention in my life time. His rear c channels are a time savor.
Wagongear. Kevin is not producing a lot of the stuff that he built for my 60 any longer. The seat box with the integrated tuffy console, flip out windows, cargo and tailgate panels were the first things I Had made when I started the rebuild. I lost more money in tools, parts, personal effects out of the Fj60 theft than the total of all the aftermarket parts that I have purchased. A couple of things had sentimental value I can’t put money on. With the secure hidden storage I have no fear of a smash and grab with all the wagon gear parts.

I did add keyless entry/power locks. Nothing is visible, I have a key fob to lock and unlock the doors/rear hatch and have the system wires so when you pull up the lock on the doors all unlock, push down all lock.
Out of sight is out of mind and don’t make it tempting. Is my security plan. I have 11 vehicles with aggreed value policies, so I don’t fear losing the time or money spent anymore.

1D8A8317-C714-4A9A-BC8A-4D4EBA4FB375.jpeg

Had a super productive shop day. Got the last leak in my air compressor manifold fixed. With seven hose reels and 400’+ of 3/4 black pipe my only leaks are in the cheap hose reels. They are annoying but not much of a problem since I can turn them all off.
After dinner I decided to test my theory about using RIT dye to change the brown door arm rests and rear door ash trays to black. I had a spare brown arm rest that had damage around the screw holes and one spare brown ash tray. 1.5 gallons of water, 5 bottles of black rit dye, 2 cups of white vinegar and 1 cup of salt. With some fine kitchen help I Brought it to a rolling boil, dropped the two pieces in and set the timer for 1hr.
I am pleased with the test pieces. Tomorrow I will do 4 good arm rests. I bought black door lock cups and window cranks. It should really tie in the wagon gear panels, seat box, And black door cards. The seats and perfect brown padded dash were the only part of the interior that did not get trashed. I think it works out color and pattern wise. Adding the same 1/4” button head stainless fasteners as the panels to the doors was worth the effort. Nothing like obsessing over details.

FD06D106-785C-495F-A6BF-78C886A18C84.jpeg

0089DC68-8B2B-4288-BC62-10D6E5499E67.jpeg

684C30AD-B456-479D-8DDC-93581DDB544B.jpeg

16755DA8-C297-47B9-8B83-30FC4152FCDE.jpeg

15062043-8523-42A2-A8E8-9C89109D5304.jpeg

Great to see the photos of your quarter trim. The lines are flawless. It looks as if it was made that way in the factory. I saved the photos for reference.
And love the idea of all the locks moving when one is engaged. That would be awesome especially since I’m a small person driving a big vehicle. I can even lean over and reach but it’s a hard stretch!
Your attention to detail is inspiring. And those stripes are really sweet.
Felicity

Picked up some goods on the way to work. Trail Tailor fabricated b pillars in black wrinkle, glove box door, and the cowl covers/wiper motor plate. Still waiting on a few things to show up for the interior. I did get the vinyl in the other day. Hopefully I can get the paint touch up done in the next few weeks, and put the stripes on.

7103626C-8263-4F85-9407-E79CA57CC1E5.jpeg

24EF757B-D82E-488D-B6F4-F3FBE1C99419.jpeg

Black ash trays and arm rests are finished. Completely through colored, no chance of scratching the finish off. Much nicer than vinyl paint. I guess I should add Wear gloves while rinsing.

D7A20699-413F-426D-9931-0B718D72A699.jpeg

B23A54E8-B3F6-4D50-8B63-32A921B8CE74.jpeg

122C731A-45A6-4609-B570-35EF4D02242E.jpeg

A picture is worth a thousand words.
I had to fit everything before we repaint the door tops. My original plan was to use my custom upholstered door panels. The paint around the new exposed area of the door is not cleared or finished anywhere near the level of the rest of the paint work. I knew I would not be using the white plastic around the rear cargo windows so the was painted and cleared when the body was painted The black door cards really tie the whole interior together better and really make the interior dog and child proof.
It all fits and works. Doors will come back apart and get the area above the door cards repainted. 2 steps forward, one step back.
The glove box door looks good but will look better when NLXTACY gets done with the fabricated steering column clamshell. tapping foot, impatiently waiting
As stupid as I always thought adding inclinometer in the dash always was I am stoked that I found a good deal on one today thanks to the classifieds. Still not finding an factory am/fm radio. If anyone wants to sell one working or not let me know.

D0D1862D-DEFC-4081-A036-7B9261E87151.jpeg

3E91C9F7-B4A7-45F1-BA34-EAC2DD1E484A.jpeg

98D696D4-304B-4C5E-8199-1F18F3188B5A.jpeg

2865578B-245E-46CF-9EFE-BB7A63FB0C44.jpeg

B5C5E421-B780-42B8-9061-D78B58BF98A2.jpeg

Jason,

Good to see you back on this project. It was a blast to drive back in the day, even with 35's on it. I will get those parts pulled and and sent out to you.

Rob

View attachment 1875346
Just catching up on this build. Great work and appreciate all the learning opportunities you’re providing us. This pic alone gave me a solution to an issue I’ve had in my shop. How to mount and use one of those pulleys when your main I-beam is not level :)???
This will be the next investment I’ll make in my shop.

Its called a Jib Crane. Be careful with capacities, especially when hanging off of a building support beam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom