My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your trailer desgin and built up looks awesome. I wished I can start from nothing but no time. I would recommended filling in the gaps before and after the fenders.

Here is the photo that I welded the "slider" would not only protect my M416 fenders from the trees during the tight turns but as a stepping platform.

Originally when I arrived at the Marine base, all of the 20 M416's fenders are warped, missing and cracked included the one I picked up so that compelled me to take some action.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Yeah, I have thought about that Snook, and your trailer had me thinking. I may or may not make little shelves there for a gas can or something, but I like the idea of a "slider. I will weld a strap in the leading and trailing edge either way.

I appreciate it bud.

Rezarf <><

Well, I didn't get a whole lot done tonight, but I did find two batteries sitting in the front box of the trailer. When I combine them I will have 230 amp hours of reserve! :D Can you say ice cream in the desert!?

They will fit nice up front, I am going to make a battery hold down system tomorrow night and begin punching holes into the sheet metal for the accessories.
batteries.JPG
batteries2.JPG

I had a few buds over tonight to help me with the RTT placement. I had planned on using an old yakima rack I had in the garage, and that is what I will do for now.

I would like to make a custom rack to mount the tent on and have it sit a little lower and closer to the lid of the trailer, like the middle pick. But in an effort to get to Moab with the trailer securly fastened this is the route I will take. I will be adding a third crossbar in the middle as the RTT I am using is mammoth.
RTT1.JPG
RTT2.JPG
RTT3.JPG

Still have to hinge the lids and fab a tailgate, then I am mostly there with the fabrication.

Custom rack is what I would use like I did with my trailer but I dont have "lid" so I have good access underneath.

You will need at least four or five inches gap underneath to remove the camper's bolts "comfortable" so the yakima system should work fine.

My trailer do have a middle crossmember but the camper is not bolt to the middle tube, just a extra support when my kids and I are in the camper. Just don't want too many bolts to fiddle with.

Each bolt comes with internal rubber instead of split washer for ease of installation with one hand. The rubber works fine as long it is in the shadow, not exposing to UV that degrade the rubber.

What kind of locking mechanism would you use for your tailgate?

Regards,

Well, I didn't get a whole lot done tonight, but I did find two batteries sitting in the front box of the trailer. When I combine them I will have 230 amp hours of reserve! :D Can you say ice cream in the desert!?

They will fit nice up front, I am going to make a battery hold down system tomorrow night and begin punching holes into the sheet metal for the accessories.

Don't forget to add a vent to the box for the gases to be released while charging those gases are corrosive.

Got it covered thanks! Nothing in the front box needs to be waterproofed either, and I have two 3" vents on either side of the box. I appreciate it!

Rezarf <><

Drew, you may have hit on this earlier, but I must have missed it. As to final coating, what are you planning? The inside of the battery box might be a perfect place for POR 15. I did my battery tray in the '40 with it and absolutely looks new 5 years later.
Are you painting it to match the tow rig? Seems like one of your earlier design pics showed white? Also cool.

Ed

Towing it behind this... so it will have smurf blue automotive (hopefully) paint, with a white lid of course :D
8.JPG

Well, I got crackin' tonight on the tailgate for the trailer. My simple design to shave the rear had me scratching my head for a while, but I am off and running.

Funny thing is, as I get further into this thing I am learning how to work a little faster. Tonight at least three times I played the fab out in my mind about 5 steps down, realizing exactly what needed to happen now to save time tomorrow... clear as mud?

The tailgate came together well. I decided earlier to use piano hinges throughout. People have strong opinions about them whether good or bad. I have a few tips and tricks for after paint to have them operate smooth and not have any of the "grit issues" of stuff getting down into the hinge itself.... you'll have to stay tuned! :D

First up was measuring out and welding up the top frame portion of the tailgate. This upper portion will be skinned on the outside with the latches at the upper corners. The lower portion will have the skin on the inside of the tubing to carry the theme of the sides to the rear. It also allows me to get sneaky with my wiring and hide it all for the license plate light.

My gap is 3/16" I was a little worried about getting the gap too tight as I don' have exact and precise tolerances. It is a bit bigger than what I wanted, an 1/8" would be better, but after paint, I may make that up.

Here is a shot of the piano or continuous hinge I am using it is a beefy unit that I got from McMaster.com

I fit up the lower tube for the tailgate and got it into position and mitered, then I drilled out the hinge and the tube together and fit it into place. My theory is, now I just need to measure out the tubes that connect the upper and lower halves and whoa-la! A tailgate.

The lower portion of the hinge will be permanently welded to the tub, but by bolting the lower edge of the tailgate on I achieve a removable tailgate... could come in handy down the road. You can see in the pic what it will look like in the closed position (first pic) and then when it is in the drop down position (pic2). I wanted the hinge to get out of the way of the drawers I will make for the rear of this thing. This gives me a very flat surface transition while allowing me to seal up the trailer, water and dust tight.

I will add a inner brace that the tailgate will seal up against with some quality weather stripping.

Stay tuned, I am not going to sleep tomorrow until I finish and latch the tailgate! :D :eek: :bounce:
tailgate2.JPG
tailgate3.JPG

Drew

You may find the crossbar above the tailgate a PITA. I hope not, tho'.

M

Mike-

Man, I went back and forth over this one. I made it knowing my trailer will be used with a drawer system. We'll see, it was a compromise between stength and usability, strength won :D

THanks man,

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom