my radiator is "stuffed" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the radiator bloke says my radiator is "stuffed" no details, but he wants $400 for a newie. i was under the impression that they could be rebuilt/ re soldered. someone want to enlighten me on my options

I think that $400 is very high, unless it includes labor. Is your truck overheating, is the radiator leaking or just "stuffed" and not flowing. Most rads can be fixed for small leaks, and if its stuffed full of gunk, this could easily be cleared out in a few hours with hot water and a little pressure. Also blow out the air way with compressed air. If you need a different radiator, go used for $75, and it will take around 2 leisurely hours to swap radiators and flush your system.

I had a friend who went to australia and found out stuffed is the same as fawked. He was invited over to someones house for dinner, and afterwards said he was really stuffed. He couldn't understand why everyone was staring at him.

It depends on whats wrong with your radiator. Is there a little or big hole or is it clogged with crap?

400 is right for a new radiator, but for about 100 less you can get yours re-cored, which involves chucking the fins and re-soldering in a new section between the top and bottom bits of your old rad. If he said its stuffed, it prob means that it has fin rot.

sam

sorry. forgot slang.. radiator stuffed = fawked.

no option of re cored, trying another shop...
it's removed and i'm putting it back in myself.

the guy was going to sell me a new radiator, but my friendly toyota wrecker/ parts guru said that there are no new ones for the hj45.

it suffered a small to medium leak only when the engine was warm but not running, ie after shut down. only got hot when there was little water in it (duh) but it never got above half on the temp gauge.

there are no new toyota parts ones avail, but there are a couple of companies that make new rads to almost the same spec which fit perfectly and are just as good as the originals. Maybe its just me, but i'd rather pay a bit more and get a entire new one than save getting a second hand or yours re-cored. If its just got a couple of holes, try that chem-i-weld type stuff, and hold off on a new one till you have to carry a 44gal drum of spare water with you.

I had mine replaced 3 years ago and it was losing about 3litres an hour, now the ol bus is starting to get a bit hot round the collar again and i'm having trouble sorting it. I think it might be the water pump.

sam

maybe this can help
few months ago, i changed my fj40 radiator ,the old one was dead :'(
i couldn't find a new one ,for rebuilding the mother f****r asked me 500 $
so i went to the car cemetery and found a new radiator, not a fj40 but another brand new (maybe toy or another japanese car)
80$
i de soldered (sorry for my english) the water in and out on both radiators (the holes of the new one was too small) and i welded the old in/out on the new radiator,
attached it in the rad support and done (3 hours of job)
but it works and my radiator is new

i got a 12 gallon water tank mounted... where do you think the inspiration came from :) i just got sick of worrying about cooking it on those looooong highways we have over here, and all the people in the servo's screaming "THERE"S WATER SPURTING FROM YOUR CAR" i know they were being helpfull, but i had heard it every fuel and food stop for 2 weeks

ok, took it to the other guy, who is usually brilliant in getting stuff, and drum roll please.

the guy won't recore less than 4 core, at a cost of $450 (not fitted) but seriously recommends a 5 core at $600

don't understand why, fully loaded in any conditions (soft sand) and 40 degree Celsius heat, the thing never got higher than 1/2 way on the temp gauge, except for when it had little water in it

new i shoulda bent over and taken $350

Sounds like your stuffed....damn I find that so funny...

Thanks!!!

Hope everything works out alright with your RAD.

Good luck!

-Steve

When I worked as a Motor Mechanic we used Ferntree Gully Radiators in Ferntree Gully. - Don't know how competitive their prices are. :-\

well i think i've ordered the $350 one, the receptionist said that one of the blokes would call today to verify, and it should have been in tonight, but no call...

ferntree gully is too far for me to go (most places are too far) because i'm using mums car, and it uses three times as much fuel as my 2f powered 40, and it always stalls going through intersections

so hopefully i get it tomorrow..

EDIT: turns out the "new" radiator is really a "recoring" of my radiator. would help if he had have told me to return my radiator so he could fix it. i tell you this customer service sucks

it was 3 years ago but i got mine replaced at Airrad Cooling Services Pty Ltd, which i beleive is a chain of some kind, it cost me 450 approx and was brand spanking new, all of it. There should be quite a few new rads around especially for that model. It is like the most popular car of the outback, and most outback parts places like Taylors Parts have 1 hj47 gearbox/tcase and 1 hj-- radiator sitting on the floor, so i cant imagine it would be too difficult getting one in a city.

sam

as for common, it's a H not a 2H, so parts are a bit harder to find :) always do things the hard way

ok, rang around, found that 4 core would cost me 450, 3 core was quoted as 350, from the same place i was bitching about.

took it in for the 3 core (knew it was a bad idea) and said that if possible i needed it the next day for a trip, which was true, and he said no worries... so i got it back 5pm the day after i said i needed it. no contact to tell me it was taking longer

so i rock up, hand over my $350 and say cherio, didn't even look at the receipt. he's like, "your short changing me".

so i look at the receipt, and low and behold his $350 flat out quote was not what he was charging me. cost $60 for labour/ workshop charges (which he should have told me about) and $41 GST tax. which legally must be included in the initial quote. so my 3 core cost more than a 4 core, which i could have had done a day before.

dad started to kick up a fuss, saying he had to quote me all charges, and that we should get it for his initial quote of $350. the guys said he'd take our cash, and the radiator, and we could sort it out after the long weekend... so we couldn't go away camping. so we paid.

and that was a NATRAD service, a national radiator chain in australia. at least the 3 core coped with 40degree celsius heat....

That is lame.

what's lame, what happened, or my story? :)

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=10295;start=msg96258#msg96258 date=1075292226]
what's lame, what happened, or my story? :)
[/quote]

What happened to you is way lame. You asked how much to fix your problem, he gave you a number, you said do it, and he finished the deal like a chicken****. (I'm hoping Woody hasn't installed a filter for chicken****. hahah. If he has then substitute an adjective of your choice. Might I suggest . . . oh wait that one is definitely filtered.)

bahhhaaa. yeah, it was lame, but i know i'll never go there again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom