My Perspective: 200 Series LX vs LC, As an Owner of Both (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find it amusing that when direct comparisons are made, by someone who owns both, people still think I am crazy for comparing them. It is no different than comparing after market suspensions, tires, lights, lifts, hitch-nuts, etc.

It’s ironic because lots of people will not buy a Cruiser or LX because of the way that they drive. They prefer the way a Tahoe/Escalade/Expedition/Range Rover drives instead. How is comparing full size SUV’s any different than comparing 200s or 100s to 200s?

That is the WHOLE goal of this thread.

While stiff tires may improve squishness around corners, it does not change the fact that the KDSS linkage is far stiffer on road than the AHC setup. period.

I would love to hear comparison b/w 2016+ LC LEDs headlights vs. the triple beam LEDs on LX.

The LC LEDs are super bright and are the best headlights i have driven...better than my wife’s Acura MDX LEDs for sure.

Triple beam LEDs in Lexus other vehicles have not fared well according to IIHS...at times worst than their ordinary HIDs. But maybe with Lexus taller stance, it is better?

Last edited:
I would love to hear comparison b/w 2016+ LC LEDs headlights vs. the triple beam LEDs on LX.

The LC LEDs are super bright and is the best headlights i have driven...better than my wife’s Acura MDX LEDs for sure.

Triple beam LEDs in Lexus other vehicles have not fared well according to IIHS...at times worst than their ordinary HIDs.

I will compare them when my folks visit in their 2020 LX.

I find it amusing that when direct comparisons are made, by someone who owns both, people still think I am crazy for comparing them.

I didn't get the feeling that anyone thinks you're crazy. A back-to-back comparison is always useful. One just needs to keep in mind that a single person's review is just that.

It is no different than comparing [snip] hitch-nuts

Now that is a review I want to read!

I didn't get the feeling that anyone thinks you're crazy. A back-to-back comparison is always useful. One just needs to keep in mind that a single person's review is just that.

Now that is a review I want to read!

Obvi chromed out on the LX!

The LC LEDs are super bright and are the best headlights i have driven...better than my wife’s Acura MDX LEDs for sure.

Triple beam LEDs in Lexus other vehicles have not fared well according to IIHS...at times worst than their ordinary HIDs. But maybe with Lexus taller stance, it is better?

Again this is a very subjective topic as well. We all see differently and we expect different things from our head lights. I put the headlights on our 2019 LX 570 up there as some of the best we've ever had and I have owned over 40 vehicles in my 36 short years on this planet. The best factory head lights I have owned to date were the Quad Beam LED's on our 2017 Ford F-250 Super Duty, they were fantastic IMHO but border line retina frying bright. My father on the other hand found them to be too bright and didn't enjoy the color spectrum, so as we've noted here in this thread, it's one mans opinion and bias versus anothers. While I find this direct comparison intriguing and helpful to a degree I also take it lightly because we all have different needs, desires, opinions, bias', levels of experience etc., so very few of us will agree on every aspect here.

I find it amusing that when direct comparisons are made, by someone who owns both, people still think I am crazy for comparing them. It is no different than comparing after market suspensions, tires, lights, lifts, hitch-nuts, etc.

It’s ironic because lots of people will not buy a Cruiser or LX because of the way that they drive. They prefer the way a Tahoe/Escalade/Expedition/Range Rover drives instead. How is comparing full size SUV’s any different than comparing 200s or 100s to 200s?

That is the WHOLE goal of this thread.

While stiff tires may improve squishness around corners, it does not change the fact that the KDSS linkage is far stiffer on road than the AHC setup. period.
Agreed. Owned both, wasn't a fan of the LX but lots of people are. Maybe I missed it, but any mention of the brakes? The ones in the LX are tuned much differently than in the LC. Hated the mushy feeling in the LX (every one I tried was the same) compared the shorter travel nature of the LC. Big reason why I switched back to the LC.

Agreed. Owned both, wasn't a fan of the LX but lots of people are. Maybe I missed it, but any mention of the brakes? The ones in the LX are tuned much differently than in the LC. Hated the mushy feeling in the LX (every one I tried was the same) compared the shorter travel nature of the LC. Big reason why I switched back to the LC.

The upgraded brakes in the 16+ are very noticeable.

The brake systems for each corresponding model year is identical. Down to the last detail.

The 16+ model years on both LC and LX got a significant caliper, disc, and front suspension upright change that improved brake performance.

What could make your observation different is again weight between the two models. Also inertial weight of the larger wheel diameter and tire package of the LX. The LX suspension does have an active function to mitigate brake dive, which is compensation the LC doesn't have.

Outside of that, could be down to the particular example and maintenance of each vehicle. Which is why subjective opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
The brake systems for each corresponding model year is identical. Down to the last detail.

The 16+ model years on both LC and LX got a significant caliper, disc, and front suspension upright change that improved brake performance.

What could make your observation different is again weight between the two models. The LX suspension does have an active function to mitigate brake dive, which is compensation the LC doesn't have.

Outside of that, could be down to the particular example and maintenance of each vehicle. Which is why subjective opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think stonepa experience is prior 2016. 2014 LX and 2015 LC...at least according to his signature.

I can’t speak for the LX but my brand new OEM LC shocks couldn’t effectively dampen the mass or tire spring rate (mostly a function of inflation pressure) of 285/65R18 e-rated LT tires. Yes they felt more firm, but it introduced undesirable traits such as judder and skipping across the pavement over bumps when cornering. Personally I’m much happier with the P-metric 285/70/17 toyos I have on rock warriors at about 32psi than I was my 285/65/18 KO2s at the necessary ~42psi (can’t remember exactly).
I think even beyond extra clearance the main benefit of an aftermarket LC suspension is them usually being tuned for heavier and stiffer tires.

I think stonepa experience is prior 2016. 2014 LX and 2015 LC...at least according to his signature.
I also tried a new 2019 and had the same experience. I chock it up to different brake feel tuning - Lexus owners may have different touch and feel expectations. I for one like a very firm brake pedal feel (although not at the same level as that in my wife's BMW X5M!).

I can’t speak for the LX but my brand new OEM LC shocks couldn’t effectively dampen the mass or tire spring rate (mostly a function of inflation pressure) of 285/65R18 e-rated LT tires. Yes they felt more firm, but it introduced undesirable traits such as judder and skipping across the pavement over bumps when cornering. Personally I’m much happier with the P-metric 285/70/17 toyos I have on rock warriors at about 32psi than I was my 285/65/18 KO2s at the necessary ~42psi (can’t remember exactly).
I think even beyond extra clearance the main benefit of an aftermarket LC suspension is them usually being tuned for heavier and stiffer tires.

I agree...i love my stock sized KO2s (load range D)......but there is no way around it.....stock factory tires (on stock suspension) perform better on-road in pretty much every category except looks. Of course, I bought my KO2 because i do off-road and need punture resistance.

Last edited:
Bingo. For what little it's worth, I've always found my LX to be incredibly flat, with little body roll and brake dive... for a 6000lb vehicle. I don't expect M3-type handling, and think that objectively, the handling of this behemoth is very, very nice.

Same - also agree with @mcgaskins. I found the lack of dive/roll on my 570 to be pretty uncanny once I put stiffer tires on.

I have owned many cruisers as well and currently own a 16' LX. I test drove the LC and LX side by side and thought that the handling and suspension on the LX was significantly better. Far less nose dip when braking and better in corners. However I frequently put in in Sport+ when driving curvy freeways (I-70) to reduce body roll as much as possible. I'm surprised to hear so many people preferring the LC handling. Also, the LX is incredibly smooth and quiet offroad, i took it up some steep loose rock trails this weekend and it just didnt seem right how smooth and nice it was inside compared to the heavily modified 100 series and 4runner trd pro that was with us.

I have owned many cruisers as well and currently own a 16' LX. I test drove the LC and LX side by side and thought that the handling and suspension on the LX was significantly better. Far less nose dip when braking and better in corners. However I frequently put in in Sport+ when driving curvy freeways (I-70) to reduce body roll as much as possible. I'm surprised to hear so many people preferring the LC handling. Also, the LX is incredibly smooth and quiet offroad, i took it up some steep loose rock trails this weekend and it just didnt seem right how smooth and nice it was inside compared to the heavily modified 100 series and 4runner trd pro that was with us.

I agree with you - stock for stock the LX suspension is better. And when you think about it, it should be with dynamic adjustments, height control, hydraulic instead of air, etc. I've taken a stock 200 LC, a modified 200 LC with basic OME, a modified 200 LC with BP51s, and a stock 200 LX on the same trail (Argentine Pass - not super difficult), and I can say without a doubt the LX was the smoothest, quietest, and most comfortable of the group. Not by a little bit, but by a lot and I've taken many other vehicles on the trail including a fully built Tacoma, JKUR, and XJ. What many people don't talk about is that in the LC with KDSS you get quite a bit of side to side rocking over uneven terrain, but the LX is immensely better at cancelling out those motions with the dynamic action of the hydraulic suspension. Coming down the back half of trails like Top of the World for example, the LC beats you up a bit with incessant side to side rocking as you come off ledges, but the LX (in full disclosure I did not take my LX on TOTW) behaves very differently and far more controlled.

The LX in stock form has the best off road suspension for comfort I've ever experienced, and I've wheeled a lot of different vehicles in the last 20+ years. I also find the LX better on road (with E rated tires which is personal preference of course) than the LC, and the ability to flip the switch into sport mode for the twistys, comfort for the big bumps, low mode for the dog or grandma to get in and out, and high mode to clear a log or rock is pretty amazing. Like I always say, the LX is the way to go for value especially if you're not modding it, but the LC is easier to modify and appeals to a wider audience. They're both awesome and anyone who says differently hasn't spent enough time in each.

Still getting used to the 200 series LX that I recently acquired. But I’m definitely happy with it. Can’t wait to replace the 21” rims with 18” take-offs of a 2020 LC.

If I could have afforded new, I would have likely gone for an HE LC having been a series 100 LC driver for nearly 14 years.

Here is a review I did on the LX, it compares it to the LC and various years, if interested. 2016+ LX review

I've had an 08 LX, 13 LC, 14 LC, and 16 LC, and I tend to agree with you. One thing that drastically improved the ride and handling quality in our LX was adding 275/65/20 E rated KO2s which really transformed the vehicle. I did not care for the way it rode whatsoever with the stock tires, but with the KO2s it was significantly better in every way. I think a lot of people discount the LX after a test drive, but they would be better served to try one with E rated tires. Several members here drove mine with no mods other than tires and agreed it was far more enjoyable and handled better than with stock tires FWIW. I think the LX is definitely the value play in the 200 market.

I went with 285/55/20 BFGAT/KO2’s. Firmed up the ride. On freeway always ride in sport mode. Around town comfort mode.

Lucky you I'm selling my Gen1 Raptor, 58K on the clock (warrantied through 97K or Feb-2022). PM me if interested.

how did you like your generation one raptor I think Ford screwed up getting rid of that V-8 engine and putting in that six cylinder. I completely lost interest when they did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom