My new 60, phase 1 begins. And some questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dash

I also attempted to recover my dash but I'm not happy with this attempt at all. I knew that this would be a temp version, but I didn't know I would be this unhappy with it. While the vinyl that I am using works great for the door panels, it doesn't have enough stretch to conform to the curves that our dash boards have. Ultimately I will redo this with a completely new dash panel and graft in some additional pieces that I would like. Including mounting in a second "radio slot" above the glove box. This would house a HAM radio. At that time I may also modify the way the gauge bump flows back into the dash.

Anyway, I pulled off the dash cover, and then completely removed the factory vinyl. I then cut out any foam that was cracked, split or other wise damaged. I then filled those holes in with a two part foam:

8439108763_ae2a646568_z.jpg

8440197732_9363bb752e_z.jpg

I let that foam cure for a week and then filed and sanded it down and matched the shape of the dash. Interestingly enough the density of the 2 part foam matched that of the factory foam pretty well.

Once I had that all ready, I attempted to cover it. That's when it went bad. Not a total waste, as I learned quite a bit about the process and its livable for now.

8439110785_609c75defb_z.jpg

You can see here the amount of folding I got on the edge of the gauge bump:
8439111037_c7561e10a2_z.jpg

Wow man, what a transformation. What carpet did you use and where did you get it?

EDIT: If you still have your factory carpet I'll buy it from you!

Last edited:
Wow that looks great I need to get to work on line... Love the black on the door tops looks sweet

Sent from outer space via my mind

Holy sh!t that's a lotta work! And good work, too!

Thanks for all the kind words gents.

GLTHFJ60, my factory carpet is long gone. Was in really bad shape when I pulled it a couple years ago and did my initial replacement with the JTO kit. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with the fit and finish of that cut/sew kit so I went back to my hot rod roots and picked up an 8 way stretch carpet. Superstretch 80" in Saddle.

One pic I forgot to include on my door panels was on that includes how I am going to re-use my door pockets. Moving them towards the back of the door, and using their lines to build off of for the speaker pods.

8439110537_b0c4b84902_z.jpg

Dude I need more close up pics of your new doors if you have them.. This is something that I am going to attempt this summer and want to retain the old tops like you did but put vinyl over them. How much was the ABS plastic vs. going with something like Reevsci did (1/4" MDF). You definitely gave me some ideas for the speaker pods for my new Fosgate 6.5" speakers.

Hey Jaxonm nice build man. looks like your up there in the hills of Topanga, I had a friend who lived up there with a White Cruiser. He was part of the Arson Watch team up there. Any ways great thread hope to see you around i am down the hill in the Culver City area.

Damn, dude! Truck looks great!!!!

Post #250!

Thanks everybody. I consider this a group effort, seeing as how most of the ideas and LC specific knowledge comes from this board!

That looks really sharp man. Well done. Post up some shots of the 4runner rear view and one better/ closer shot of the dome lamp. Looks very nice and a great under $50 mod!
Clint

I'll get some close ups of this so you can see it this weekend. Just posted this in the under $50 mod thread per your suggestion.

Dude I need more close up pics of your new doors if you have them.. This is something that I am going to attempt this summer and want to retain the old tops like you did but put vinyl over them. How much was the ABS plastic vs. going with something like Reevsci did (1/4" MDF). You definitely gave me some ideas for the speaker pods for my new Fosgate 6.5" speakers.

Hey Greg,
I'll get some more pics of these once I get the process worked out. I actually plan on doing a complete write up for this one, seeing as how not many have. The short version on the door panels is;

• Salvage the old metal tops. Sandblast, paint, powdercoat, whatever. Its amazing how rusty they are under the stock vinyl.
  • I used ABS for several reasons;
    • I wanted an additional layer of moisture resistance between the door cavity and my speakers.
    • I needed something more stout than thin MDF to mount my speaker pods to.
      • BTW, factory panels are only 1/8, not 1/4. Running thicker becomes an issue if you want smooth action on your window cranks and want your door release to mount and look right. This is why you see the relief around the window crank on my design sample.
  • My speaker pods are a little thicker than necessary for most installations, but I think you will want to run them as thick, if you are going 6.5" speakers (like I am). The reason being, moving the speaker mounting surface away from the inner door skin, allows you to lower the overall height of the speaker (without cutting into the inner door), moving it AWAY from the window crank and giving you more room to roll your windows up/down without hitting your knuckles.
    • My front pods are 1.25" to the mounting surface, plus an additional .25" that essentially recesses the speaker into the pod.
    • My rears are only .75" + .25"
Everything else is just design. But put some thought into it before you start. The hardest part is attaching the metal tops to the ABS.

Hey Jaxonm nice build man. looks like your up there in the hills of Topanga, I had a friend who lived up there with a White Cruiser. He was part of the Arson Watch team up there. Any ways great thread hope to see you around i am down the hill in the Culver City area.

I am indeed in Topanga. And I think I know the cruiser that you speak of. Although, there are a few in the canyon. The interesting thing is, the vast majority of the pics I have posted are actually out in Agoura, which is where I do most of the work on the 60 (my dad has a shop out there) so good eye for catching Topanga out of the small hand full of pics posted.

I'm down in Culver a bunch, and I work in Century City so, shouldn't be too long before we run into each other. Especially once I get the 60 back on the road. :steer::steer::steer:

Don't take this wrong, but for 17k it'll be a hard sell

Thanks Mace. The price is intended to be a starting negotiation point. I am definitely willing to come down, within reason. I have seen 60s that are in not nearly as good a shape as mine go for more than the 17k asking (think 20-25, and this does not include TLC) here in LA. I do think that the 15-17k range is fair given the condition of mine. Below that and I will likely just keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom