My new 60, phase 1 begins. And some questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after nearly a year and a half of hunting, I finally bit the bullet. I went and bought myself an '82 FJ60 (11/81).

Overall it's in really good shape. I can find no signs that its ever been hit/repaired, it has minimal rust (just a couple very small spots in the usual areas). It's been repainted (earl scheib/maaco style) but it doesn't look like its hiding much evil, just lots of overspray. It has a freshly rebuilt (less than 1,000 miles) motor and clutch and the chassis and driveline have just under 250k miles. Other than a few stickers and the rebuilt motor, this 60 seems to be completely stock.

I have a lot of plans for this rig, but first I want to get the drivability up to as close to 100% as possible for a 28 year old truck. This is where my questions come in.

It runs well, but there is a pretty heavy flat spot/hesitation just off of idol. If I just put my foot in it from idol, it will stall. But if I feather the throttle in, it comes up just fine. In addition, there is a minor flat spot right around 2000 rpm. It feels like it could be a sticky advance in the dizzy. I plan to upgrade to an HEI style ignition system, but before I go too far I wanted to get some feedback from y'all. Does this seem like a culprit? Are there more typical causes for a hesitation like this. On the distributer, are the 2F HEI systems worth the expense?

My other thought is that it could be in need of a really solid carb rebuild. I remember reading here that there are a couple guys that do extremely good carb work. Can someone point me in the direction of them? Feedback on their work?

Beyond getting it solid mechanically, I plan on redoing the paint (Ive always loved the root beer), getting the interior back in order and comfortable and then finally doing a complete expedition style build. I'll do a complete list of coming upgrades soon.

Enough with the words. Picture time

attachment.php

In the driveway
attachment.php

that's a great looking cruiser! I bought my fsm's from SOR. I think others have ordered from Cruiser Dan?

As above, or you can download...

Index of /Cruiser and M416 Manuals

If you're in L.A. the man to see about a carb rebuild is Mark Algazy (see my sig line). He's in Burbank, but he's out playing and won't be back until next week sometime.

I don't think you can change your Dizzy to an HEI - it will cause you to fail the visual smog inspection... I believe the cutoff year is 1975 and older... But if you want to rebuild your dizzy, I think Mark handles that, too, or Jim C (FJ40Jim .... do a search).

Nice truck, btw.

Last edited:
does anybody has a link for the tech books of the diesel j6 from 83? the hj60 with 2h engine.i have an electric problem and can't find the wiring diagram. :bang:

Nice looking rig! :cheers:

Like Spike and you mentioned , get the carb rebuilt by Mark or Jim C first if you have a flat spot.

As far as HEI goes. The stock set up runs pretty good when everythings working right. I ran a Jacobs set up for a number of years and really noticed no difference. I took it all off and don't plan on putting it back with my rebuild.

Dunno about the first flat spot, but the second one sounds like it might be the EGR system. It's not too tough to troubleshoot, but you'll need the emissions FSM to do it.

I'll third the carb rebuild suggestion. In the mean time, though, give all your vacuum lines a good inspection/replacement, adjust the valves, and set the ignition timing. You should search for how-to threads on all of these here on Mud before you tackle them, but they're all easy to do, and will give you a fairly solid baseline to work from.

Great looking truck! I feel your pain about the long search, I'm in the same boat now.

Looks like the effort has paid off though,

Congrats!

Thanks everyone. And Spike Strip, Ill definitely get in touch with Mark next week. I drove the truck to work this morning and getting these two things done (carb and dizzy) are definitely high priority.

BTW, my desire to go with HEI really has less to do with performance than it does with lowering maintenance and increasing reliability (and possibly efficiency) on long journeys. But if you guys say stock is just as good or better, Im willing to give Mark's dizzys a shot, or at least talk to him about it before I move forward on the HEI.

On the FSM, Im going through SOR and it looks like the manuals are broken down into separate books:
•*2F Engine Manual. Item Number: 221-03 - $48.38
•*Chassis & Body Manual. Item Number: 221-44 - $210.00
•*40 & 60 Series Emissions Manual. Item Number: 223-06-81 - $20.30

Then, in addition there are supplements;
•*Chassis & Body Manual Supplement. Item Number: 221-45 - $17.06
•*Factory Wiring Diagram. Item Number: 223-11-1982 - $14.51
•*1982 Maintenance Procedures. Item Number: 223-02-82 - $34.99

Then there is an AC book, Power Steering Manual, Differential and Front Axel Repair. Is all this necessary? Is there overlapping information in these, or are they really distinct books?

Granted, this order alone pays for the Club SOR membership, but its still nearly $400 in books. I feel like Im in school.

BTW, my desire to go with HEI really has less to do with performance than it does with lowering maintenance and increasing reliability (and possibly efficiency) on long journeys. But if you guys say stock is just as good or better, Im willing to give Mark's dizzys a shot, or at least talk to him about it before I move forward on the HEI.

What are you basing the reduced mainteneance and increased reliability on?

Your cruiser already has a fully electronic ignition.

Just get the 2F manual and the Chassis & Body & emission manual (a must) ...

Chassis and bod has wiring diagram .

The rest I have, but have never looked at.

You can always get 'em later if you decide you need them.

Stock Toyota Land Cruiser Dissy is much better built than an HEI - HEI modules are prone to High heat failure. I'd only go HEI if stock were NLA ...

And, as I said - you'd fail smog. This is CA -- You can have NO deviation from stock (that an inspection would catch :D)

I'm glad you didn't end up buying my cruiser a few months ago. I ended up pulling the listing and repenting of my ways.

What are you basing the reduced mainteneance and increased reliability on?

Your cruiser already has a fully electronic ignition.

Rumor and innuendo, apparently.

Thanks for all the info everyone. All 3 books are on order. I wish I could make it to Chatsworth by 6 to just pick em up, but that likely wont happen in the next couple weeks.

Hey Caserique,
Im a fan of the duct tape supercharger thread! :hillbilly:

Color? color? you wanna change that nice helLA heat reflecting color to the biggest heat soak of all the OEM colors?*

Shame on you. Flip your rig and buy a brown one.

j/k, about the flipping part. White means you'll either keep it cleaner (and catch problems sooner), or the mud will show up mo betta. whatever works for your ego. :grinpimp:

Congrats on the rig, :flipoff2: (official Mud welcome/ salute), and more pix of the interior please.

* is for the Mickey's who need to find sumptin to pick on: don't worry about it.

Shame on you. Flip your rig and buy a brown one.

I looked for a brown one. For a year and a half!! So I settled for a white one with brown interior.

Half way there! :flipoff2:

Thanks for the welcome!!

There is a guy named Marshall screen name is Trollhole, here on the boards. Hit him up for a new dizzy and a new carb. Its less expensive and from what I hear everyone has loved the product and the ease of installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom