Builds My "new" 2007 FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you asked if I thought it would help save the windshield before I owed it I'd have called the idea crazy. But for whatever reason, it does appear to help. Either it works, or that first year I experienced rocky highways then the following 5 years have had non-rocky highways.

About all I can say is I remain skeptical it can work that well - but my own experience is hard to for me to challenge ... YMMV ...

I ordered one today.

Fresh synthetic oil, new air filter, and just got 18.49 mpg in town and highway mix. That was based on a full tank of 300+ miles.

I also changed my fuel tank straps. The entire underbody is great, but for some reason the fuel tank strap rusted and broke. There are some other miscellaneous metal parts that look a little rusty. I'm guessing crap grade metal on some things.

I think that's pretty good for a 100k+ FJ; I expect 20-22 on the highway (depends on speed limit and headwinds), and about 18 around town mixed. Over the 37k since new I've always seen those sorts of numbers. And lows of 15 when 4 wheeling.

I ended up pulling the roof rack today, pulling the channel trim, cleaning it out, and using a 50 year caulk lightly to reseal, then replacing all mastic washers and bolts for the roof rack. I think I'll be good to go!

///I expect 20-22 on the highway///
OMG, I have had my 2012 FJCTTSE since new and NEVER got over 19.5mpg.When new I drove at 65 to the Bay Area, 90 miles one day ,and got 19.5MPG.The BEST mileage I EVER got. Then I added my ARB front bumper and winch and rear bumper and upgraded suspension and larger tires and now average something I care little about. Probably 16 mpg. Thankfully I didn't buy this for the mileage and now dont even count the MPG.This is a vehicle I would never give a crap about mileage in. And dont.

On second thought... lol.

Removing the front plastic on an FJ removes the single most aerodynamic feature it has and exposes it's turbulence generating undercarriage. Perhaps adding full armor underneath could regain a bit of the streamlining, but the added weight might make it a wash.

Last edited:
After doing a bunch of research on line x'ing the roof, the only thing that makes me hesitate is the front roof trim piece. I don't want to have to line x that piece every time I have to change the windshield.

After speaking with a local glass guy who said he has done over a hundred FJ Cruiser windshields and has rarely had success removing that piece without messing it up. I also have some question about doing it without removing the rear glass and how it would look.

There was a recent thread in Copper State Cruisers about doing a roof treatment that may have been removeable. And if I read right was significantly less expensive than Line-X but still effective at reducing cabin temps.

What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week?
post #3538 or so

Interesting. At this point I’m thinking about skipping the roof line x only because I don’t want to have to worry about all the small things associated with doing it.

It’s currently raining so we shall see if my new washers and reseal worked

Most windshield repair shops will wreck the top trim. It's metal not plastic so it's hard not to.
It’s plastic nowadays, even if you’ll order new with the original part no.

I was quoted $500 to replace my windshield at one shop and $650 at another. Do these prices seem comparable to what you all have heard?

Is it being covered by insurance? If yes, then probably what they cost these days. I always ask for the cash price, no insurance, and get much lower quotes. Too many glass shops have kickback arrangements and some even offer patrons money back to cover deductables, inflating the price insurance compnies pay. These same shops will often make a deal for cash.

I was quoted $500 to replace my windshield at one shop and $650 at another. Do these prices seem comparable to what you all have heard?
I think so. I have changed mine couple times (insurance paid). The upper moulding/top trim cost closer over $100 alone if I remember right.

Well that sucks, because I tend to beat mine up on the trails with low hanging branches. I wonder how the plastic holds up to that abuse?

I paid $250 to a privateer who came to my office to do it. But I also had the $100 piece of trim and clips from my dealer already in hand.

Good to know. Thanks

Is it being covered by insurance? If yes, then probably what they cost these days. I always ask for the cash price, no insurance, and get much lower quotes. Too many glass shops have kickback arrangements and some even offer patrons money back to cover deductables, inflating the price insurance compnies pay. These same shops will often make a deal for cash.

I just have a chip and a small spider crack. I'm going to leave it alone for now and let it go. I will use insurance when the time comes.

I think so. I have changed mine couple times (insurance paid). The upper moulding/top trim cost closer over $100 alone if I remember right.

Thanks for the input

So I my roof rack is leak free now. We had a solid downpour today and it's dry inside, no further issues. Wheeeeewh....

I had one headlight that was going out and coming on. I messed around and found it was harness related at the bulb so I got a $2.99 universal H4 harness and cut out the old one, then soldered this one on shrink tubed it all. Looks great and no issues.

Last fill up 300 miles 19.25 mpg and that was me cruising 75+ on the highway.

I saw an FJ cruiser today at home depot and someone had used clear tape to hold the small cowl trim on..... I almost left them a note to offer to help fix it... it was embarrassing to me and it wasn't even my rig. I have new clips for mine and a new rubber piece for the antenna. I need to do that tomorrow.

I just have a chip and a small spider crack. I'm going to leave it alone for now and let it go. I will use insurance when the time comes.

There are cheap glass repair kits that work really well. A syringe to pull a vacuum, a drop of glue, and a few minutes sitting in the sun and the chip and small cracks are mostly invisible. Works up to an inch or so spiders. I've used Blue Star kits a few times on several cars and am happy with the results. Have two 'patches' on my current FJ windshield. I have to look hard to find them now. It's been years since patching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom