Builds My "new" 2007 FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other side came out great. Ordered a new seal for the oil fill tower and a few random hoses. Probably try to get it back together today

IMG_20191125_093620.jpg

I can't wait to get it back together. I'm going to clean up all of the brackets, paint them with por15, clean up all of the plastic, while I have it apart I'm going to clean the throttle body

So I just finished it all up and honestly it wasn't bad at all. I went with a Mahle valve cover set over Toyota and I only did this because I have found the quality of the Mahle stuff to be top notch when compared to all other gaskets. The mahle valve cover gaskets were snug enough in the valve cover that they would stay in place while I put them on.

I found this online and went with the specs it has. I just put two small dabs of RTV where this diagram indicates; looking a this area you can see maybe a thousandth off where the two surfaces mate up together. I really don't think it would have mattered and that the gasket would have sealed it up, but I went ahead and did it for peace of mind.

I just did a sequential torquing like an oil pan. I started with 50 in. lbs. and ended with 80 in lbs on round two, the rechecked about 5 mins later to make sure everything was seated. I did all bolts to 80 inch lbs. I think 7.4 ft lbs is like 88 inch lbs, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

You will need an 8mm hex socket to take off the intake. I re-torqued it to 15 ft lbs and did the throttle body to 10 ft lbs. I couldn't find specs on that so I just went with it.

I did find a few of my hoses were starting to dry rot where. The one that goes to the PCV valve and the one up front that is like a fuel evap hose or something so check your hoses well.

Other than the torque spec and the dab of RTV it was exactly as you'd expect.

valve cover.jpg

Oh, and the throttle body was nasty (not terrible, but a definite ring of gunk around the throttle plate. I am curious to see if it idles a little rough at first when I start it now that all that junk is gone.

Probably going to powdercoat mine while they are off. Almost same color as yours, as I have several other items pc'd in a custom red ;)

If I had could have gone with powder coat I would have. I just didn't know anyone locally that did it and I was kind of in a hurry to get it done over this couple of days. Also, my valve covers looked like garbage before lol so I needed to make them look better.

The red wheels look great!

Update: got my hoses in today from Toyota. Fired right up, as I suspected the idle was a little high after having cleaned all that gunk out of the throttle body. After a few miles it came down and is idling smooth as can be.

This is the hose that was in really rough shape on the ends; where it plugged in it was split on both ends.
Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 21.20.00.png

It's probably all in my mind, but man, it is running so smooth now (not that it didn't before). I do think swapping the hoses and cleaning the throttle body helped. I'm at 90 miles on 1/4 tank. Cruising at 65 and running about 1850 RPMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom