My Land Cruiser is acting like Land Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Check your grounds.

Note:
If it was acting like a LR, you could grab the wiring harness under the dash and give it a quick jerk and shake and you would have the problems solved until you hit the next bump in the road.

Ha ha, that's funny cause it's true.

*Update*
To all the people that said that my alternator was at fault and I was convinced otherwise, this is for you.
You were correct, I was incorrect.
You were right, I was wrong.
You are smart, I am dumb.
I will never doubt you guys again.:D

To my cruiser, I am sorry too for calling you a "land rover." I am disgusted and I deserve what you gave to me today, I long walk home (well, a couple blocks).:lol: I went to my sister's house today and while attempting to leave, my cruiser finally left me stranded somewhere:doh:. Luckily it was only a couple blocks away. YOu guys think I should replace the whole unit, or just go with the brushes? It does have 220K on the original unit. What you guys think?

No question: the whole alternator. I took my 15 year old unit to be "rebuilt" last week, and it came back as dead as when I took it in. Get a Toyota rebuilt unit from CDan (IIRC, about $200), and be done with it.

Also, contrary to what many have posted in other threads, an alternator remove and replace maneuver is a 30 minute job (tops).....(and also, contrary to what others have said, it's a MUCH more straightforward job if you'll remove the battery and battery box....only adds 5 or 6 minutes.) I had to do the job twice last week - due to the problem mentioned above - and even with the "big" oil filter, it's a piece of cake........should've photo documented it, but I forgot. Let me know if you want me to post the steps. Good luck!

No question: the whole alternator. I took my 15 year old unit to be "rebuilt" last week, and it came back as dead as when I took it in. Get a Toyota rebuilt unit from CDan (IIRC, about $200), and be done with it.

Also, contrary to what many have posted in other threads, an alternator remove and replace maneuver is a 30 minute job (tops).....(and also, contrary to what others have said, it's a MUCH more straightforward job if you'll remove the battery and battery box....only adds 5 or 6 minutes.) I had to do the job twice last week - due to the problem mentioned above - and even with the "big" oil filter, it's a piece of cake........should've photo documented it, but I forgot. Let me know if you want me to post the steps. Good luck!

Cool thanks. I will def. take your advice and take the battery box out before removal. Space looks kinda tight. Shouldn't be a problem. Now I have to pony up the cash.

Refer to post number 11. Or you could save your pennies and walk to work for the next week till you got the 200 dollars.

Refer to post number 11. Or you could save your pennies and walk to work for the next week till you got the 200 dollars.
TN's got a point here; however, I took my alternator into a reputable, local alternator shop, and not only did they replace the brushes, but they also resurfaced the rotor face, checked continuity, and generally checked it out. I brought it back, installed it, and within 5 minutes, it was dead. Now, I'm not saying they couldn't have done something wrong, because they probably did. I'm just saying my first one lasted 15 years, and the same one, rebuilt, lasted 5 minutes.......maybe I'm just getting older, but I find my level of frustration over having to do a job twice - for no real reason - is much higher than it used to be.

TN has a good point, and it's easy and cheap to do. If you can be sure that'll fix it and it'll last, that's a MUCH cheaper way to go.

TN's got a point here; however, I took my alternator into a reputable, local alternator shop, and not only did they replace the brushes, but they also resurfaced the rotor face, checked continuity, and generally checked it out. I brought it back, installed it, and within 5 minutes, it was dead. Now, I'm not saying they couldn't have done something wrong, because they probably did. I'm just saying my first one lasted 15 years, and the same one, rebuilt, lasted 5 minutes.......maybe I'm just getting older, but I find my level of frustration over having to do a job twice - for no real reason - is much higher than it used to be.

TN has a good point, and it's easy and cheap to do. If you can be sure that'll fix it and it'll last, that's a MUCH cheaper way to go.

Thanks David, I agree 100%. I not trying to throw away my money, but I believe if you are gonna do a job, do it right the first time. If my alternator was 2 years old, then for sure I would look into just the brush kit, but 220K miles and 17 years later, I think it is time to replace the whole unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom