My HJ60 adventure. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So years and years ago, more than 5 I started to dream of driving around Europe.
This dream came from getting an early retirement, caused by being a big “crazy”, feel free to ask if you really want to know ;)
And to get out of the house I knew I needed to drive really.

I knew it had to be an old car that I would know how to fix; the electronics, computers and fuel injection of modern cars just don’t “speak” to me, so I fail horribly in fixing it.
And surely an older car would need fixing at some point on a trip of about 6500km (4040 miles) to see friend’s.
Or even the slightly shorter trip to the north cape and back.

So I joined some forums, thinking a big old 4x4 would maybe be the thing, after trying a few things, talking to many on Danish forums I knew a 4x4 would be the things.
So what one was the question, in a way it was simply, asking people about what would be best for reliability on what would be rather easy trips, no hard off-roading.
I was torn between Land Rover and LandCruiser, the answer was really given by people on the Land Rover forums, and they so love their cars, I mean REALLY love them.
But talking to them even the most hardcore anti cruiser guy would say get a Landcruiser.

So what one, needs some size and to be cheap here.
40ties are out, simply too much money or complete junk and still expensive.
70ties, cheap, but to small really, also mostly turbo and I don’t like turbo.
80ies, a bit too much money and don’t look nice (to me), also maybe just a bit too much electronics.

So a 60 series it would have to be, looked at many when I did not have the money.
Almost bought a 61 along with an extra 61 for parts, but the turbo.
No I have bad experiences with turbo when getting so old, and they often cost the same as the car her.
So a HJ60 it should be, but not especially cheap here, so would take time.

I ended up having a Nissan D21 for a time, but it was not what I wanted, did make me sure 4x4 was the way to go even though expensive in tax and fuel.
Again I started to look for a HJ60.
So as I was getting close to my 40 birthday back in May 2015, I thought I had almost enough money saved.
And then just a few days before I went and bought the cheapest HJ60 I could find that was still road legal for some time, cost of just over 3100$ and that is actually kind of cheap for a 60 with about 1,5 years till next test.

Of course she is old and crap, even more crap than I thought, I did know there was a bit (a lot) of rust in the frame; they always do here, lots of salt in winter.
And the engine burns oil, odd given it had only run some 480000km (about 300000miles).
Sure it is “only” about 1liter (about 1 quart I guess) per 1000km, so nothing to really worry about yet.
But the car did come with a different engine, only gone 300000km (190k miles) and said to be not using oil.
Also came with two different front doors, some that is less rusty than the ones on it.
Ohh, and a leaking fuel inlet pipe.

So all in all not that expensive for here I think.
IMG_20150531_081043.jpg

So what have I done, honestly not much at all.

Well I did change the fuel pipe since that was just annoying having to park ass up to not leave a pool of diesel.

And change the oil and filter, helped a little with the oil burning but not much

I have driven it and tested a few things, been finding the things that are wrong with her.

So far the only thing I did not really know about, but kind of expected is that the radiator is a bit “dodgy”

It cools fine here and is coolant tight, but the fins are starting to go, so on a long trip to places a lot warmer than here I will need a different one I think, just to be safe.

Strangely she don’t “mark” her territory, there are a few places that leak a bit but not enough to actually drip when she is not running.

It “weeps” a bit on one side of the rear axel at least it is fully floating (I think it is called) so should be rather easy to fix that.

The other worry is a bit of a leak at the rear output on the transfer case, must be coming only when driving because never on the ground, but some gets thrown up underneath the car.

Might be a seal or maybe speedo drive, but so far so little I have not done more than make sure there is enough fluid in the case.

Does have the known thing with the heating gauge going to max, but since the fuel is also magically full that is just the know error they get.

And other small things that are normal, such as the horn pin being worn, the high beams switch dirty so don’t always engage.

But these are easy fixes.

The tires, BFG mud terrain are really annoying me though, they are old and starting to crack, so need new ones.

Also I find them really noisy, can only really compare to my Nissan and a 61 on all-terrain, and they were nowhere near as noisy.

And they are way overkill for my needs; at most she will get to have some gravel roads or just eastern European roads with massive potholes.

And I could keep them as play tires for when I want to have fun.

So am thinking all-terrains next or road tires even, ohh the outrage I can sense from me saying that ;)

But I do like the “big” 33” tires, so have to find some of that size if I can, love the way it looks and feels big.
IMG_20150530_220930.jpg

So what am I planning to do.

Well I said some of it of course.

Fix the basic things I already talked about.

Change the engine, new radiator, new hoses, new tires.

Do the front knuckles of course, that is a thing they always need I guess.

Fix lots of rust, lots and lots of rust.

Probably see if I can find some dirt cheap sound proofing, because it is so loud.

Install a 12v battery for some of the accessories, should be enough room in the engine bay, but not sure if I will go for the second 12v alternator that is the normal way to do it here, think upgrading the 24v to 12v converter would work too, or so my electrics expert tell me.

And make some storage system for the back, one that I can also make so I can sleep in the back eventually.

Why have I not started yet?
Honestly I am slow, also pretty low on funds and taking it apart and putting it back just to do it again later… not so fun, would like to have most of the parts I need, when I am “in there” as it is said.
And I also really wanted to know what needed to be done, so since nothing critical really it will go slowly.
Mostly because if my very limited income, even thought about making a “gofundme” but think that is just rude :meh:

After reading all that interesting info, just know that the plans, hopes, dreams, uncertainty and fears that you may have about your cruiser are a BIG part of owning/buying an old cruiser.
It is an integral part of ownership.

Everyone goes through the same thing, unless they buy a fully re$tored vehicle.

I think you made a good choice with choosing the cruiser, and traditionally the diesels last a really long time.

A little weeping of oil past some seals is nothing. Just keep an eye on the levels and you're fine.

Keep focused on your ultimate goal... To drive across Europe... & not to get crazy trying to fix everything in an old cruiser.

I think its a good idea to replace the radiator if the fins are dissolving. Might want to replace some of the other cooling components too, as budget allows. At least a new thermostat.

Rust sucks, and dealing with it is good, but I wouldn't get too obsessed over trying to eliminate all of it. Keep focused on your ultimate goal. Your trip.
Rust abatement can wait.

Right now, there are SO many things that could be serviced or replaced, that I think a priority list would be a good thing to create with the aim of taking your trip.

On the road, the car will drive better, stop better, accelerate better and have more torque with tires smaller than 33s.

Nice looking truck!

After reading all that interesting info, just know that the plans, hopes, dreams, uncertainty and fears that you may have about your cruiser are a BIG part of owning/buying an old cruiser.
It is an integral part of ownership.

Everyone goes through the same thing, unless they buy a fully re$tored vehicle.

I think you made a good choice with choosing the cruiser, and traditionally the diesels last a really long time.

A little weeping of oil past some seals is nothing. Just keep an eye on the levels and you're fine.

Keep focused on your ultimate goal... To drive across Europe... & not to get crazy trying to fix everything in an old cruiser.

I think its a good idea to replace the radiator if the fins are dissolving. Might want to replace some of the other cooling components too, as budget allows. At least a new thermostat.

Rust sucks, and dealing with it is good, but I wouldn't get too obsessed over trying to eliminate all of it. Keep focused on your ultimate goal. Your trip.
Rust abatement can wait.

Right now, there are SO many things that could be serviced or replaced, that I think a priority list would be a good thing to create with the aim of taking your trip.

On the road, the car will drive better, stop better, accelerate better and have more torque with tires smaller than 33s.

Nice looking truck!

Thanks Output,
You are right about all of that I think.

And so far the only real worries I got are the oil burning 2h and the radiator.
But I can do both over a long weekend if all goes ok, and will do the rest of the cooling system too, at least the hoses and thermostat, i dont see the point in not doing it.

Very nice to have that, a bit rusty like my HJ was, or is trying to become, looks fine and the oil burning is not bad: need to replace it after 5000 so when it is low after 5000 no problem, add oil before it is to low.

The cooling hoses are a bit on my list, when they burst it is game over so thinking about replacing.
The tie rods (two are adjustable) are serious to inspect because when they fail no more steering.

I want to go to Spain (Almeria desert) and Morocco desert with my brother so lately all parts that are half good I keep as a spare: a bag of junk is also a good description.

I have a lot of HJ60 manuals here: hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - HJ60 Model/Parts finder,maintenance PDF 1000 pages

One thing to check in your cooling system is the fan clutch. (lot's of good write-ups on Mud and elsewhere) If it's never been repaired or replaced, it very likely doesn't work properly any more. I just repaired mine and my engine temperatures are ⅓ lower on the gauge, without changing anything else.

One thing to check in your cooling system is the fan clutch. (lot's of good write-ups on Mud and elsewhere) If it's never been repaired or replaced, it very likely doesn't work properly any more. I just repaired mine and my engine temperatures are ⅓ lower on the gauge, without changing anything else.

Thanks Freewheel,
Yes, I knew of that problem, and got it replaced with a working one before I agreed to buy it, because it was not working well.
SO the temprature stays as with your one in the first 1/3, except when the gauge gets confused of course ;)

Very nice to have that, a bit rusty like my HJ was, or is trying to become, looks fine and the oil burning is not bad: need to replace it after 5000 so when it is low after 5000 no problem, add oil before it is to low.

The cooling hoses are a bit on my list, when they burst it is game over so thinking about replacing.
The tie rods (two are adjustable) are serious to inspect because when they fail no more steering.

I want to go to Spain (Almeria desert) and Morocco desert with my brother so lately all parts that are half good I keep as a spare: a bag of junk is also a good description.

I have a lot of HJ60 manuals here: hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - HJ60 Model/Parts finder,maintenance PDF 1000 pages

Hi hj 60,
Thanks for the manual, I collected many here since I was lurking for about 5 years, but think your one is one I did not have.
And you are very right with the steering, was actually one of the first things I looked at, but seems good, have not had it taken apart but the normal tests show no play in joints or anything.

And nothing wrong with looking a bit rust, might make the kids go "key" the paint on a nicer car, and attract less interest from thieves, at least does here ;)

Sounds like a nice plan to go to Spain and Morroco, and is I think a good idea to keep the parts that still work.
Personally I am just going to Romania, Moldova and maybe Ukraine the first time, so not really the hardest, roads all the way, just a long trip.

How about a really bad YouTube video doing a walk around it?
Yes, surely I must try to link that :p

And maybe a view of the engine running?

Ok ok, I will stop with the useless posts now, I promise.
Think the hunk of rust is introduced well anyway :rolleyes:

Nice truck. I also bought an HJ60 and I have been eliminating all the issues it had in the last year and a few months I have owned it. I noticed your truck is missing the radiator shroud. That might affect cooling as well. Good luck on your trip.

Nice truck. I also bought an HJ60 and I have been eliminating all the issues it had in the last year and a few months I have owned it. I noticed your truck is missing the radiator shroud. That might affect cooling as well. Good luck on your trip.

Thanks mongoose,
Yes, always many things with old trucks like these.
Pretty sure I have read the threat about your HJ60 a few times, it looks nice too and you have a lot nicer interior then I do :)
And is of course blessed with the rear seat, something we have to pay 3 times the road tax for having here :eek:

True, it is missing the radiator shroud, think the people that gave it the body lift was lazy ;)
But really no problems with the cooling so far, only that the fins on the radiator is dissolving, and to me that means the radiator is not long for this world.
Or at least I wont trust it on a 4000+ mile trip.
It did have issues when the fan clutch did not work, but got a different on on it before I bought it and that fixed the cooling problem.
But I dont know, maybe I will put a shroud on it if I happen to find one

It's good that you're getting it ready for the trip rather than heading out blindly. I flew 3200kms to get mine and drove it home sight unseen. Truck drove fine and we did the trip in about a day and a half I think nonstop. When I took off the wheels after I got home I realized that the front brakes had compound only partially on the metal backing of the pad. Her governor diaphragm was torn and there were all kind of electrical issues. I now trust it to take me anywhere I want. Drove it to the Canadian Grand Prix and back. That was my longest trip of late, and that's about 1200kms total. Truck never missed a beat, it does however seem to consume a bit of oil so I must rebuild the engine soon.

So a tiny update, very tiny ;)

Currently "she" is in the garage, have to save a bit on insurance and road tax so took her off the road for now.
Plan to keep her in the garage for a month or two.
That time I will fix some rust and what else I can find to do that dont cost to much money.

I do have some nasty rust in the frame :bang:
Wont show pictures now because people will just say to scrap that junk ;)
But eventually I will put up some before and after pictures.
At least rust can be fixed without it costing to much, just takes time really.
If I get really active I might get the other engine put in also, but I dont expect to get that much done.

Anyway she makes a good "house" for my cat Leo even when not on the road :p
IMG_20150628_131548.jpg

And yes, I do need new seats, or at least a new drivers seat, I am thinking torfab's brackets for BMW seats might be good and easy, if only the shipping here was not the same as the brackets themselves :crybaby:

Hei, cool to hear that you are planning a Nordkapp trip in a Cruiser. My wife and I just flew to Stavanger and rented a Ford Focus wagon and drove all the way up the Norwegian coast to Nordkapp for our honeymoon in July. I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be in an HJ60! I sure missed mine while I was there! All the best with the repairs, and really, your Cruiser's in fine shape- it puts at least 1/2 of the Cruisers in BC to shame!

So since people seem like lists of tasks I will at least make a halfhearted attempt.
Normally being rather use to old cars I don’t do lists normally but I guess to please the mudders a bit I will, but will keep it pretty short and simple :p

To do before the first long trip.
Radiator, replace.

Cooling system hoses, Thermostat, replace just to be on the safe side.

Engine, replace the slightly oil burning one with the better replacement unit.

Engine service, oil change, valve job, check injectors, change filters and the like, all those small things.

Brakes, completely check and replace anything that is not up to standards, and change the fluid, something people here always forget.

Steering components, have given them a small once over but will want to really check them for any wear and replace anything that is worn too much.

Wheel bearings need a check and maybe replacement if anything shows.

Tires, need slightly smaller and for more road use, given the worst will be gravel roads.

U-joints also need to be checked for wear more completely and greased up.

Oil seals in rear axle, might wait given it only slightly "sweats" unless bearings need replacement because then it will be done with them of course.

Front knuckles, seals, again not bad currently so might wait assuming they have not been replaced with other components already.

Oil seal in the output of the transfer case, also so slight a leak that I don't know if needed before the trip.

Replace fluids in diffs, gearbox, transfer case.

Rust in the left rear frame, this can really wait, not safety critical at all.

Front seats, need something more comfortable, the bench seat for passengers is ok I guess, but I can’t live long with the silly Recaro driver’s seat, I think maybe BMW seats.

And surely there are many, many other things, but as I am mostly use to just doing things I will do it as I find the money and time.
At least this should give a little bit of an idea of what is needed.

But on “only” a 4500 mile trip I am not overly concerned about anything other than running something out of fluids or the engine going wrong to be honest.
And surely if an old HJ60 can't take a trip like the one I plan I will be better off using a lot less on my old Mercedes because that surly will do 4500 miles, just wont have room for a place to sleep or the things I want to bring to the people I know :(

I mean I drive pretty slow compared to some, don't drive that very long times between rests, for me not so much the car… and check fluids and the like quite often.
Also have loads of Europe wide road assistance and insurance on the car so can get it transported home on a truck if all fails, I like to have both belt and braces with these things :meh:

Anyway time will tell of course :worms:

And yes, I do need new seats, or at least a new drivers seat, I am thinking torfab's brackets for BMW seats might be good and easy, if only the shipping here was not the same as the brackets themselves :crybaby:

Switch driver's seat with the passenger seat. Problem solved.

Switch driver's seat with the passenger seat. Problem solved.

With a rear bumper and intact rear shock mounts, you're probably doing better than many other 60 series owners.

Well, the passenger seat is one of those double seats, we call them a "turbo" seat here because they really belong in the 61 here ;)
So technically it seats two passengers, but they better have small behinds :p
So wont really work moving that :D

Yes, I do have all my body mounts, both rear shock mounts and solid mounted bumpers, so it is not that bad really. only the front doors are really bad and i got two better ones to put on when I get around to doing the bit of rust and painting them.
It looks like junk but is for a danish cruiser really not that bad, wont take to much to get it to pass the test again next October ;)
Is just a spot that seems common on them, just in front of the left rear wheel, just where it "arch" up and over the real axle, I have seen a few post about rust there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom