My Half Desmog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I have this 60 that I have had for about a month or so, I have fixed some minor things, but the big things (carb rebuild etc..) are coming up. What the PO did was remove the EGR valve and blocked off the connection. The air pump is a little squeaky, but is not connected to anything. The air rail is still connected so the only thing I can find that they did was just disconnect the EGR and place a header on the exhaust. My question is this, is this a pretty good setup? Or should I do more?

Without knowing all the details of your current set up, it would be foolish for someone to try to put a blessing on it. The best way for you to deal with this is to get the Emissions Manual and figure out what is what and whether it is needed or not. I personally think that if a system is not needed, remove it and as a result make your engine compartment more accessible and simpler. You should keep the PCV, fuel evaporative emission control system, a simple spark advance off the advancer port of the carb, the automatic hot air intake, hot idle compensation, deceleration fuel cut, heat control valve, ac idle up, the vacuum lines that purge the distributor. I removed the air rail and that steel spaghetti tube thing for all the little vacuum hoses. Also took out the entire EGR system and replaced the air pump with an idler pulley. There is a sticky thread in the tech section on welding up the EGR pipe into the intake manifold that you might want to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom