My FZJ80 restoration project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Knuckle pic's, and a rear wheel pic.

20200403_185305.jpg

20200403_185330.jpg

20200404_080040.jpg

Wednesday, I was able to take the day off work, so I decided to get hot on the power steering pump. The hardest part about getting the PS pump out was the two 10mm brackets holding the high pressure line on, the angle sucked! Thank Baby Jesus, for you guys on here, and the FSM b/c I wouldn't have even know what to do as far as opening the pump up goes. After getting the PS pump opened, cleaned and inspected, it looks like someone has rebuilt this pump before. I noticed alot of nicks in the middle shaft after I removed everything. I'm really hoping this doesn't cause a problem down the road🤞🤞🤞 Other than that, everything went smooth. The only issue I'm having is, I can't get the snp ring off to remove the old bearing. I'm also working solo on this project, and I don't have a bushing press, or a vice. If any you guys have any suggestions you could offer up, I'm all ears.

20200401_123618.jpg

20200401_130433.jpg

20200401_151147.jpg

20200401_151636.jpg

20200401_170619.jpg

Finally made some headway. Monday night I got all the new parts installed on the pump & all lines attached. I was able to get it reinstalled before I decided to call it a night. Yesterday after work, I primed the pump with ATF fluid, and bled her 3 times with the engine off, and 3 times with the engine running. Fired her up and the moaning, groaning and whining is gone. She drives nice and smooth 🤘🤘🤘

20200406_191810.jpg

So the test drive, turned into a 2hr drive since it was super nice out. While driving thru the countryside, I decided to stop and take a glamour shot on the way back home
I also noticed when I got back home alot of my leaks are gone, now that the PS pump, and lines have been replaced (knocks on wood.)

20200407_204053.jpg

20200407_203844.jpg

Looks really good, and nice job on the pump. I know first hand what a pain that job is.
Yeah, I was a bit nervous when I was putting the pump back together. The not knowing if you pounded on something too hard, or didn't put it back in the right way, weighed heavily on my mind. I was also worried I was going to mess up the gear reinstalling it. I'm going to climb back under and re-inspect this weekend just to make sure everything is tight.

Made a little progress this evening before I decided to call it a night. I noticed after I pulled the cap off my distributor, that my rotor switch is in a different position than the slight upward position it's supposed to be in, is this something to be concerned about? There is also a slight oil build up on the bottom of my distributor. Is this an indication that my dizzy-O is possibly bad? What is the best way to clean all this up without damaging the inside of the distributor.

20200416_205949.jpg

20200416_192945.jpg

Made a little progress this evening before I decided to call it a night. I noticed after I pulled the cap off my distributor, that my rotor switch is in a different position than the slight upward position it's supposed to be in, is this something to be concerned about? There is also a slight oil build up on the bottom of my distributor. Is this an indication that my dizzy-O is possibly bad? What is the best way to clean all this up without damaging the inside of the distributor.

View attachment 2275374

View attachment 2275375
What you are seeing is the end of the rotor is pointing to cylinder #6 on the cap and it is basically 180* out from TDC on #1. Rotate the engine one full turn (in the correct direction) to bring the harmonic balancer back to TDC and you should see that pointing to #1 and will be at TDC on the compression stroke.

You can still do your dizzy O-ring at that position, but do NOT turn the engine and make sure it goes in EXACTLY like it is.

As far as the oil inside the distributor, yes, you have a little. The internal O-Ring (not what is normally referred to as the dizzy o-ring) is starting to leak. Not bad yet. You can use electrical cleaner to clean out that oil (don't use Brakleen) or just wipe it until dry. If you do want to spray stuff in there, it's best to do it with the dizzy out or the fluid will run back toward the seal and dry out the seal and will drip into the engine.

Howdy Fellas!
It's been a hot minute since I've posted on my thread, so I thought I'd give an update in C.C.(we named her the COVID Cruiser since I bought her right before the pandemic hit.)
I'm not gonna lie, all that maintenance I set out to do when I started this thread, took longer than expected, due to a few surprises along the way. However I stuck to my guns and got it all done, and now she is parked in the garage, and only comes out 1 day a week if the weather conditions permit, to keeping the fluids moving. Here are a few before and after pics I collaged and wanted to share.

20201210_181553.jpg

20201210_181705.jpg

And here is a list of everything I have completed so far.
- Replaced the air filters.
- Replaced the throttle body gasket/cleaned the throttle body.
-Rebuilt the power steering pump, and replaced the high pressure and the low pressure lines.
- Replaced the distributor O-rings.
- Replaced the distributor cap, distributor rotarty switch.
- Resealed the engine valve cover.
- Installed new spark plug seals, spark plugs, and spark plug boots.
- Replaced the main steering shaft gasket.
- Drain & filled the front and rear axles, as well as the transfer case.
- Replaced both the front & rear wiper arms & blades.
- Installed a new OEM fan clutch, OEM water pump & thermostat.
- New oil crankshaft seal.
- New oil pump cover gasket.
- Resealed the number two oil pan.
- Rebuilt the original alternator.
- Replaced all drive belts.
- Coolant flushed the engine block & radiator.
- Replaced the fuel line charcoal canister
- Removed the fender flares
- Replaced all coolant lines/ hoses.
- Bypassed the rear heater.
- Replaced the heater control valve.
- Rebuilt the original starter.
- Installed a new front steering stabilizer.
- Removed, power washed, and reinstalled the carpet.
- Installed an electronic "Center Differential Locking" switch.
- Repaired the "Cruise Control" unit
- Installed LED lights on the dash cluster & dash.
- Replaced the transmission filter, & resealed the transmission pan.
- Replaced the fusiable link.
- Rebuilt the driver's side seat gears.
- Rebuilt the front knuckles and Birfields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom