My FZJ80 restoration project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run Zerex Asian Red. I’ve been happy with it as many others have been (mostly the more modern TOYOTA drivers) I carry an extra gallon or two on long trips.

Green coolant is most common in convenience stores, but times are a changing as car manufacturers have a specified coolant for each marquee.

I’m seeing more GM orange and Ford yellow? in stores more than anything now.

I run Zerex Asian Red. I’ve been happy with it as many others have been (mostly the more modern TOYOTA drivers) I carry an extra gallon or two on long trips.

Green coolant is most common in convenience stores, but times are a changing as car manufacturers have a specified coolant for each marquee.

I’m seeing more GM orange and Ford yellow? in stores more than anything now.
I do agree that green coolant is the most common coolant in the stores. However, I will say that between visiting a few different Walmart's, AutoZones, & Advance Auto Part. I noticed that they are all carrying Peak, Prestone, & Zerex 50/50 Asian Red Coolant. So it looks like that "Asian Red" is starting to become more common in the bigger chain stores.

My problem is, I noticed today while taking pictures of my engjne bay, that my coolant is green coolant, not the golden brown color I took a pic of last week. Because of that, my mind is racing trying to figure out if I should continue on as planned and just flush and fill with a 50/50 green coolant, or flush and fill with the 50/50 Asian red.

Well, because our local weather crew mis-informed us about all that great sunshine/ weather we were supposed to have in my neck of the woods this weekend. My play date with Mr. Simple green got postponed. I was however, able to take some more detailed pics of my engine bay today before the lovely snow started falling this afternoon. Maybe next weekend I'll have some better luck.

20200322_142949.jpg

20200322_142954.jpg

20200322_143017.jpg

20200322_143048.jpg

If your carpet smells like the South end of a dirty, wet dog who just ate 1/2 a package of liquor filled Christmas choclates & is farting/puking it in the yard (oddly specific, yeah ;) ) :
- just clear your sunroof drains to start there & then go the labor-intensive but ultimate carpet fix:

Unbolt all the seats, the center console & pull the carpet out & Resolve the shyt out of it (3 cans) & wash it in the driveway with hot water right off the hot water heater - you’ll get a sandbox worth of grit out of it & keep hosing until the water is clear.

You could shop vac it, or just clothesline it for ~3days.

It’ll get bone dry if you face a heater at the jute side, and it’ll never stink again as long as you keep the sunroof drains on point.

.....And never leave a box of those liquor filled chocolates on the counter where the dog can swipe ‘em ;)

If your carpet smells like the South end of a dirty, wet dog who just ate 1/2 a package of liquor filled Christmas choclates & is farting/puking it in the yard (oddly specific, yeah ;) ) :
- just clear your sunroof drains to start there & then go the labor-intensive but ultimate carpet fix:

Unbolt all the seats, the center console & pull the carpet out & Resolve the shyt out of it (3 cans) & wash it in the driveway with hot water right off the hot water heater - you’ll get a sandbox worth of grit out of it & keep hosing until the water is clear.

You could shop vac it, or just clothesline it for ~3days.

It’ll get bone dry if you face a heater at the jute side, and it’ll never stink again as long as you keep the sunroof drains on point.

.....And never leave a box of those liquor filled chocolates on the counter where the dog can swipe ‘em ;)
Glad you mentioned the carpet b/c when I was putting the 3rd row seats up, I found this suprise in the back lol.

Since you mentioned "center console". When I remove all that. How do I remove the knob on Hi, Neutral, Low shifter to get that console out?

20200322_143816.jpg

Glad you mentioned the carpet b/c when I was putting the 3rd row seats up, I found this suprise in the back lol.

Since you mentioned "center console". When I remove all that. How do I remove the knob on Hi, Neutral, Low shifter to get that console out?

View attachment 2245986

Transfer case knob is a threaded unit - counterclockwise will take it up.

Yeah, I’d want to check if the fuse is pulled on the hot lead to what looks like a 2-3ch amp - no fun “welding” when you don’t plan on it :cool:

Hold onto that wire if you plan a remote fuseblock - looks like worth keeping around for general use down the road, but I’m also a raven - shiney things get my attention.

I also got into the engine bay with some engine degreaser, a toothbrush, and some paper towels and took some baby steps to get her clean. From the looks of it in the pictures, it looks like not only will I need to do a valve cover reseal, but the half moons will need to be resealed as well.

20200324_201458.jpg

20200324_201520.jpg

20200324_201508.jpg

It's hard to see in the picture, but I found the leak on my PS pump. It looks like the fluid is coming out of the back of the pump. Now it time get the PS kit, and the hoses ordered to start the rebuild process.

20200324_201404.jpg

I snapped a shot of the back of my Harmonic Balancer b/c I noticed the seal on the back. Is that normal for that to look like that, or is that going to need a reseal as well?

20200324_202025.jpg

One drop of simple green at a time! Sure is nice when you get it all done though!

Getting ready to order the PS pump rebuild kit, along with the PS pressure lines and I had a few questions. I'm looking on RockAuto at the PS pressure lines. So far Gates & AC Delco are the top contenders. I wanted to know, is Gates OEM as far as the pressure lines go? Has anyone used the AC Delco PS pressure line with good results? I see they have a 24 month warranty on that part if it fails.
Last but not least, does anybody have the part number for the OEM PS low pressure hose? I know alot of people have mentioned, they just go to a local hydraulic shop and have all this rebuilt and cut to specs, but with everything going on, my work schedule is keeping me pretty tied up atm. Thanks guys.

Screenshot_20200325-163000_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-162904_Chrome.jpg

Hope everyone is staying safe and doing alright. Even though we have this self-isolation going on, work has been keeping me busy, so I have only been able to get a few rounds in this week on the Cruiser. Slowly but surely I've made some progress.

Last weekend I was able to snag up some tools from Harbor Freight. While out and about I got a call from the dealership letting me know some parts came in. Since I'm going to be on an extended vacation in a few weeks, it was hinted to me by a fellow mudder, that now would be a good time to do some serious wrenching. So I ordered some more parts... about $430 dollars worth. Then to top that day off, I got home and saw some stuff from RockAuto & Wit's End got delivered.

First thing I did was cleaned out the air filter box & Tuna can, then installed a new Air filter & wing nut. From the looks of it, the throttle body is going to need to be cleaned as well.

20200328_193717.jpg

20200328_194011.jpg

20200328_194030.jpg

20200328_202552.jpg

Monday, I was able to get off work early. Since it was super nice out and warm, I went home and hooked up the garden hose, and continued cleaning up the engine bay and the underside on the Cruiser. I still have alot of cleaning to do in the engine bay, but I have decided to what on the clean up until I remove the valve cover, and remove all the front end parts and get down to the oil pump cover, that way I'll have more access to things. I also decided saturate the wheels with some Simple Green. In doing so, I was able to make my rear driver side rusty wheel somewhat shine. I also found out, that I'm missing a nut on the front passenger side knuckle plate. The front was so caked in crud, that I didn't even notice it, until I broke loose some of the crud Monday evening.

20200330_202559.jpg

20200330_202610.jpg

20200330_202814.jpg

20200330_202814.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom