My FZJ-80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I found an built a 1972 FJ-40 rig a few years back and now that I am getting a bit closer to retirement I am back to begin the build of an FZJ-80 that my wife and I will use to travel across the country and explore. The first step was finding the right rig. Well, I am happy to say that as of today, I am the proud new owner of a 1997 Collectors Edition FZJ-80 Triple Locked Rig. It also appears that this rig was a mall driver and has really not seen any off road use to speak of. (I am super psyched to have found this in such short order, only about 5 months to locate one.

1639789770754.png

So far I am super impressed with the rig. Everything seems to work really well and for its age, and considering it has been in Maine for all this time, the rust is pretty manageable. The first order of business will be to go over it thoroughly and get a plan for what to attack first. At this point I think the PS steering pump will be the first order of business as its leaking. Question, am I better off buying (assuming I can find one) a new pump or rebuilding the old? Looking forward to a lengthy thread on the build. I know that Mud was extremely valuable when I built my FJ-40 a few years ago. Thanks for everyone's input.

My first build
1639790090977.png

I have a ‘96 and I just replaced mine with new pump, high and low pressure lines from @witsend and they appear to still be available through his website. Also, I got a new gear from Toyota instead of trying to remove the old one off.

Thanks, that is a start anyway, not sure I want to take the time to rebuild the pump at this point and if I could just buy one and install it that would be awesome. I will see if I can PM Witsend. Thanks. Happy Wheeling.

Having tried a DIY rebuild, and bought new thereafter, recommend buying new.
All other things being equal (and they are notable), the service life of OEM is worth the cost, time, and effort on this item.
44320-60182 - PUMP ASSY, VANE

Last edited:
The high pressure line seems super expensive, is that right? It seems to be almost as expensive as the pump? Did you pull your gear or buy a new one from Toyota?

I have a ‘96 and I just replaced mine with new pump, high and low pressure lines from @witsend and they appear to still be available through his website. Also, I got a new gear from Toyota instead of trying to remove the old one off.
How much was the new gear? Reasonable or crazy expensive?

The steering box...diff story. It is DIY with the right parts.
44120-60180 - VALVE ASSY, W/BALL NUT
04445-60050 - Steering box reseal kit (much of this you will not use due to above part)
44154-30020 - Power piston plunger guide nut ( had to get welding done to get old one out)

The high pressure line seems super expensive, is that right? It seems to be almost as expensive as the pump? Did you pull your gear or buy a new one from Toyota?
Used the Gates version twice - once when replacing vintage hose, then again when replacing rebuilt pump with new pump. Using an impact drill (def not per fsm, but was being lazy) the pump bung came unscrewed before the hose banjo bolt did; causing the steel header pipe to wrap neatly around its own banjo fitting, sealing the pipe shut forever more.
But yeah, you can expect a decade's runtime on the Gates (with copper crush washers) and a trail spare twin.

Pulled and reused vintage gear. Result after installing to new pump is vaguely audible tap at idle that wasn't present immediately prior to the repair.
Going with new gear removes the danger of warping it upon removal before hand. hehe

Last edited:
Used the Gates version twice - once when replacing vintage hose, then again when replacing rebuilt pump with new pump. Using an impact drill, the pump bung came unscrewed before the hose banjo bolt did; causing the steel header pipe to wrap neatly around its own banjo fitting, sealing the pipe shut forever more.
But yeah, you can expect a decade's runtime on the Gates (with copper crush washers) and a trail spare twin.

Pulled and reused vintage gear. Result is vaguely audible tap at idle that wasn't present immediately prior to the repair.
Going with new gear removes the danger of warping it upon removal before hand. hehe
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Today I tried a trick and old mechanic told me. He said that many of these older vehicles don't like Power Steering Fluid and to use Automatic Tranny fluid instead. Well son of a gun, I added ATF and the leak seems to be almost gone. Crazy. I still will most likely pull it all apart and or change it, but that trick worked nice for now.

So, the next thing is to determine the next big build items. I will go over it and change the oil and fluids etc...to make sure its in really good shape, but I will be looking to begin the build with the following items. Feel Free to send ideas comments on what has worked for you. I am scouring the mud threads, but for now this is my build/wish list.

Remove the running boards
Add a 2" lift
New Tires (33" most likely-suggestions welcome)
I am leaning towards keeping the stock rims as I don't mind the look, again, ideas welcome.
New ARB front bumper (If I can find one)
Winch, I tend to lean towards the Warn, but again ideas welcome (Should I go 10k or 12k pull on the winch?)
Off Road Lighting
Rear Bumper with swing out Tire Carrier
Hi-Lift Jack
Storage draws in the back (I will be taking out the third row seats for sure)
Roof storage rack (This Limited Edition has a sun roof, do they make partial roof racks?)

Today I tried a trick and old mechanic told me. He said that many of these older vehicles don't like Power Steering Fluid and to use Automatic Tranny fluid instead. Well son of a gun, I added ATF and the leak seems to be almost gone. Crazy. I still will most likely pull it all apart and or change it, but that trick worked nice for now.

Trick or not, Toyota FSM calls for ATF in the power steering unit.

I'd add caster correction (e.g. Delta VS Radius Arms) to the list as a part of the suspension lift effort. Don't forget all the old rubber, too.

Last edited:
Trick or not, Toyota FSM calls for ATF in the power steering unit.

I'd add caster correction (e.g. Delta VS Radius Arms) to the list as a part of the suspension lift effort. Don't forget all the old rubber, too.
Thanks. Will need to look at all the bushings etc... as well.

I figured since I was doing new pump I’d just do new OE hose, I didn’t want to mess with it for another 25 years. The vane gear for the pump and new nut I think was close to $200. I purchased @witsend plastic gear holder to switch it over but I snapped his gear holder in 10 seconds. So that’s why I just went with new.

Last edited:
Sonoran, thanks man. This will help me make a good decision.

So, the next thing is to determine the next big build items. I will go over it and change the oil and fluids etc...to make sure its in really good shape, but I will be looking to begin the build with the following items. Feel Free to send ideas comments on what has worked for you. I am scouring the mud threads, but for now this is my build/wish list.

Add a 2" lift
I am leaning towards keeping the stock rims as I don't mind the look, again, ideas welcome.
Winch, I tend to lean towards the Warn, but again ideas welcome (Should I go 10k or 12k pull on the winch?)
Off Road Lighting
Hi-Lift Jack
Roof storage rack (This Limited Edition has a sun roof, do they make partial roof racks?)

Check with Cruiser Outfitters for an ARB bullbar. I bought one from them a few weeks ago. Check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for used Warn winches. I picked up a good lightly used (maybe never truly used) 10k Warn for $400 recently.

Add a 2" lift
Off Road Lighting
Hi-Lift Jack
Be sure to accurately determine the spring rate necessary for the expected full load out weight. I thought I did.
33" is a good place to land while you get some trail miles on it. I like the stock wheels too, but if you plan to do moderate+ trailing, a less expensive set of steelies go a long way in keeping the OEMs in good shape.
I use a 10k/cable Superwinch. About 5ys and a good many hard pulls on it. No issues.
Be sure to get bumpers with proper hi-lift jack ports/slots, or the hitch adapter. Otherwise no need for the jack.
The platform racks have sunroof options - just shorter or a hole in the platform.

Be sure to accurately determine the spring rate necessary for the expected full load out weight. I thought I did.
33" is a good place to land while you get some trail miles on it. I like the stock wheels too, but if you plan to do moderate+ trailing, a less expensive set of steelies go a long way in keeping the OEMs in good shape.
I use a 10k/cable Superwinch. About 5ys and a good many hard pulls on it. No issues.
Be sure to get bumpers with proper hi-lift jack ports/slots, or the hitch adapter. Otherwise no need for the jack.
The platform racks have sunroof options - just shorter or a hole in the platform.
LandLocked93 Many thanks for the information. I appreciate the advice. I know when I built my FJ-40 Mud was a huge help. I will go with a basic 2" lift just to get the truck up a bit higher and as you say, some 33" tires as that is a good place to start. Pulled off my spare tire today and things look pretty good for a 25 year old vehicle. I am very happy with my purchase. I have had in in the woods in the snow already and it really goes great. It just plows through anything without even spinning the wheels and I haven't even engaged the Diff Lock yet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom