Builds My FJ42UZ Budget Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the last couple of years I've been wanting to do something different with my FJ-40. When I stumbled across a picture of an FJ40 that had Aqualu Industry's 10" body extension, the wheels were set in motion for what would eventually become an idea for extending my 1974 FJ40 to better suit my family's camping and expedition needs. Here's the picture that started it all.
Extended FJ40 Idea.jpg

Last edited:
After doing some research online I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn't have the financial resources for an Aqualu tub, so I began cutting my FJ40 right behind the door pillar so that I could extend my existing body panels. I was originally going to lengthen the body on my existing FJ40 frame, but then got to thinking about what my "ultimate" Landcruiser would look like. If I was going to expend the time and energy to build my dream Landcruiser, I definitely wanted to have a much smoother ride than my short wheel based (leaf-sprung) FJ40, so I decided to start searching the local pick-and-pulls for an 80 series Landcruiser. I eventually ran across a great deal on a rust-free 1997 Landcruiser and was able to wheel-and-deal with the owner for the vehicle's frame and axles. I was pretty set on shortening the FZJ-80 frame until I ran across a picture of Tim's (Sackwear Designs) FJ45 Troopy. All I can say is WOW!!!! As soon as I saw the Troopy, all my previous thoughts and plans went out the window and I decided that I wanted to build something very similar to Tim's vehicle by using my FJ-40 on an FZJ-80 frame.
FJ45-Troopy.jpg

I know that my project won't be aesthetically pleasing to everyone, especially since it will be difficult to correctly proportion the FJ40 body on an 80 series frame. I'm also on a budget, so I'm hopeful that I can accomplish my build with just a basic 110V welder and an angle grinder. I'll post up pictures of my project as I go along. Here is the starting point:
FJ40 Disassembly.JPG
FZJ80 Frame_2.JPG

Here's a picture of my 2UZ-FE from a 2005 Landcruiser (non VVT-i) I've got a rough idea of where to place the 2UZ in the FZJ-80 frame from reading @2fpower's VERA build, so a big shout-out to him for laying the groundwork of figuring out the engine placement. If any of you have a stock 80 series Landcruiser, would you mind verifying the angle of the transfer case's rear output flange for me? I'll be shooting for @2fpower's final angle of approximately 2.8 degrees, but want to ensure that I orient the engine/transmission/transfer case parallel to the rear pinion flange. My rear pinion flange is at 3.6 degrees with no weight on the vehicle.
2UZ.jpg

Following. I'm just north of you in Gresham.
Sounds like you live just a few miles north of me. My daughter used to swim for the David Douglas High School (club) team before COVID-19 shut everything down in Multnomah county.

Sounds like you live just a few miles north of me. My daughter used to swim for the David Douglas High School (club) team before COVID-19 shut everything down in Multnomah county.
Yeah, I'm off of SE Powell and 166th.

Slowly making some progress. Here's how I have everything lined-up at the moment, with the front half of the body temporarily mounted to the FZJ-80 frame.

Front Clip_1.jpg

Boots, I am highly offended at your suggestion to name my rig Pinocchio, as he is best known for his propensity for lying. :) Although I must admit that I do like the Geico commercial where Pinocchio is a "motivational speaker". I think I'll keep my rig named the FJ42UZ for now, seeing as how my plans for it include almost a 2-foot extension (the FJ42 comes from 40 + 2), plus the fact that it'll be powered by a 2UZ. I haven't purchased the Dakota Digital gauges or ARB lockers yet, so luckily haven't had to "stretch the truth" as to the cost of anything on my project quite yet.

Getting the fenders to line up on the FZJ-80 frame was one of the biggest hurdles I've had thus far, especially when it came to trimming the driver's side fender to clear the power steering box, coil bucket, and shock tower. The strings definitely helped as an extra set of hands to hold everything in place while I was getting everything mocked up.

Nothing major, other than getting a stand-alone wiring harness made for the 2UZ-FE motor. The wiring harness was completed by Tim from Lextreme. Tim's website can be found at LexusV8.com, and I highly recommend his work and attention to detail. Other than that, I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and my garage is full of sawdust at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom