My Dual Swing Arm FJ40 Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the nicest rear bumpers I have seen on a 40! Nice work!
Lemme know when you start selling them with the tire and basket switched around for the old lift hatch style tops! (want to be able to open the drivers side bottom door with a spare mounted on right side).

This is what the bumper looks like when opened (no basket) with and without the tire.

Where did you get those little teflon pads?
How did you affix the threads to bolt those down?

Im AT THIS STEP in my rear swing out build and donno where to get those, or the BEST way to secure them.

Great job!

Keith

Holy crap, that is the sweetest rear bumper system yet, totally excellent work!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity...
why does everyone set the cooler/ can rack up so high off the swing out arm?
Ive seen this a lot and it doesn't quite make sense to me.
It would seem that you would want all that weight LOWER to its base (the SO arm).

Just wondering.

Thank you all for the compliments. Few answers for those that have asked -
FJforty - like the idea of a bottle opener :)
fj404life - see the contact info below
chicago - those pads are UHMW plastic that can be bought in sheets; we then cut down to the size of the pad we needed. They are secured by countersunk stainless steel machine screws with nylon locking stainless bolts on the back side. It basically is like the material a kitchen cutting board is made out of.
The level of the carrier was done high so that I would not have to move my factory license plate location. Most of the time the carrier is off, and I did not want to mess with moving it back and forth between the door and a mounting spot on the carrier. If I was going to leave the carrier on all the time, I would have lowered the height of the actual tray and had it built a little different (low tray with a higher support that wraps around the back).

For those interested, the guy who did the fabrication of all of this stuff (with my little helping bits along the way) is in Utah at a Powder coating company that also does metal fabrication. You can call him at 801-425-2440 or visit the website here.

Last edited:
If you are selling these, how much and are they difficult to install or would I need to have a mechanic install.
What has to be removed etc?
Thanks
Shawn

image.jpg

Beautiful piece of work! It's also EXACTLY what I'm looking for...unfortunately the website attached to the above contact info is expired. Does anyone have any further info on this bumper?

The overall goal was to build something that would offer some corner protection (like the Kaymar), have the ability to carry a cooler or 3 jerry cans (like the 4Plus) but with a removable basket (which neither have) and combine what I thought were the good points from those and other bumpers. I have been very happy with this setup so far. It is a complete bolt-on setup; no modifications were required to the vehicle. The bumper attaches with 12 grade 8 bolts to the points where the old bumperettes and hitch ball were mounted. I used my factory tail-lights; no extention of wiring was required (I did replace the tail light lenses and gasket).

I have to give credit where credit is due. This one sweet looking bumper and so well thought out. I like it better than anything that is currently on the market. If you start offering these for sale I will be pissed that I bought my 4 Plus HD bumper all those years ago. I definitely would purchase one if I didn’t already have my bumper.
Congratulations on the design. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom