My dog ate my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a dog too - so I get you on not being mad at the lil' goofball.

On the brighter side, it looks like 90% of your headliner damage is contained on that slider panel.

I didn't check the FSM, but I have dropped the headliner in my BMW twice & done a few VW's for moonroof conversions in Corrados & a Passat. It was possible to do small work on the slider panel, but dropping the full headliner made it such a breeze it was worth all the extra work/time involved.

The good part is that dropping the headliner in a 80 you can eject it straight out the rear hatch. In my BMW you had to either remove the bonded rear window (or windshield, take your pick - $$$), or as I did - work VERY CAREFULLY wearing the headliner around you like an inner tube, and then duck out from under it & work from the open doors & the removed quarter glass. Yeah, real fun.

So things could be worse.

I glad he didn't eat the home work as well :flipoff2: :lol:

I've got the belts for the 3rd row seats. if they fit your need you can have'em

you sure have a pretty dog!

Thanks! We rescued her from the shelter last year. We had no idea what we were getting into, but she was pretty much ''next in line'' and we couldn't leave her there. She's come a long ways and so have we. Akita's are not for the casual dog owner. We were the casual dog owner and she disciplines us regularly. I'm grateful that's ALL the damage she did and that she didn't encounter any other animals when she got out of the truck. :eek: That will NEVER happen again.

If you think an Akita might be interesting, read this site first.
Akitas-4-U?

She's a great dog and we love her, but she is challenging. She has a lot of the difficult traits - VERY animal aggressive, protective of the family almost to a fault, stubborn and very intelligent.

Last edited:
I just gutted my FZJ80 because the PO had a dog living in it for 15 years. Serious. The dog did not chew anything up, but the smell was outstanding. My :princess: wouldn't touch it and I did not have the heart to make her drive it. My 7 year old puts her shirt over her nose and mouth when I drive her to school and my 3 year old has dubbed it the "dog car". I have literally pulled out balls of dog hair and have treated/pressure washed the carpet (it is drying now in the basement bathroom). Even with it gutted, I can smell it on hot days - the headliner is next!

For the seat belts - there is a lot to choose from in parting out. I found mine on ebay - the hole set for $119 (that includes shipping). I have seen good ones between $25 to $55 a piece. I bought one from a 91 LC for $10 once and it looked in good order when I got it, but after installing it, I noticed the coil mounting plate's plastic stems had corroded and was close to falling apart (if you loose the coil, then you are headed for the windshield). So, be careful when buying them. Also, I made sure that the new belts I got were not from a wrecked vehicle (I haul very precious family cargo). From what I can tell, the belts are interchangeable from 91-97...but be careful with the front PS and DS ones because later FZJ80's models have a different harness mount to accommodate the slider. For example, I have a 93 and the belts I got off of ebay were from a 97. I don't have the sliders in the middle columns, but the 97 does. The harness mount uses a different style to mount to the slider on the column. You can still get it to work though - you just have to switch the harness mount. I can post a how-to on this if you need more info - but it just involves extending the belt all of the way and removing the middle pin that holds the belt to the core.

Cheers, and hope the dog does not get indigestion.

3 of the belts in my cruiser were chewed by the PO's dog (helped me negotiate price). I picked up some good condition used belts from cruiserparts.net. They shipped the wrong belts twice, but finally got me the right set.

Replacing was very easy. I replaced each one right after removal so I could remember how it goes in.

I have a dog barrier in mine, but from the sound of it the barrier would be no match for your dog.

Good luck

For the sliding shade, do some research in MUD, for threads on dropping the headliner. There are a few good threads here which I used when needed to drop mine.

Good luck.

So, we had to vacate the house yesterday for an inspection and had a track meet to attend. No dogs allowed at the track meet so our Akita stayed in the 80. We've had to do this before and she's been fine. This time it was spring and she hadn't been for a good walk in a couple of days. First she squeezed through the open back window, adding vertical pinstripes to my horizontal pinstripes.
She's never done that before, and I swear it wasn't open that far!
Then she squeezed through the open sun roof, tearing off the wind deflector.
She's never done that before and I swear it wasn't open that far!
Each time she came looking for us at the meet. So I tipped open the sunroof so it wouldn't heat up too bad, reduced the window openings to just a crack.

When we got back she had chewed on the sliding headliner that covers the sunroof, chewed 90% through 3 seatbelts, chewed the passengers side sun visor, and chewed on the grab handle in the back.

I searched on replacing seatbelts without much luck. Any tips on this? Does anybody have an 80 they are parting out where I can get the seatbelts?

Any advice on repairing/replacing the fabric on the sunroof slide?

I love your dog, she knows when is time for a rebellion :clap:! Next time give her a good walk and after that live her alone in the truck and she will not miss you to much :hillbilly:!

:cheers:

Love the Akitas, ours is 14 years old, and she is still "queen bee" with the other dogs and the cat. Sorry to hear about the cruiser, but that is classic Akita.

I just ordered from cruiserparts.net. I'll let you know the quality of the parts received and when I get them.

Thanks for the tip. (Nothing on Ebay right now.)

Nubie, if you haven't already, try Fabreeze after you've cleaned it as good as you can. It does help. It may need a few full soaking applications.

I had a neighbour who's dog destroyed the interior of his car. Unfortunately it was a Jaguar!

Nubie, if you haven't already, try Fabreeze after you've cleaned it as good as you can. It does help. It may need a few full soaking applications.

Blech! I'd rather smell dog than febreeze! Reminds me of my grandmother.

Try a commercial cleaning supply place. They actually have an enzyme based product that kills the bacteria that cause the animal smells - fur, excrement, slobber, whatever it is. It works great. I can't remember what it's called though. A friend that used to sell janitorial products hooked me up with some a few years ago. And it doesn't leave a heavy perfume smell mixed with dog smell like febreeze does.

(No offense to febreeze lovers intended.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom