Hilux My diesel 4 door '86 LN65 Hilux progress and upgrades! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it's not much trouble, I'd appreciate a picture or two.
Hopefully this makes sense. You can see the 3rd upright at the back of the cab in the foreground of the first photo. Front bed supports circled in red.

sorry for the hijack @RyanMiller

02B1616C-475E-40D4-9531-B6BDE42F5D0B.jpeg

A5B29EE1-052E-4F49-B19C-53EA68330146.jpeg

4F88261E-1E5E-4E65-ABA5-60F628696E18.jpeg

Since this is the xN106 rather than the xN65, there may be some more variation. But I get the general idea. It looks like the frames may be the same between the standard/Xtra cab and the double cab, but the mounts themselves may be different.

Since this is the xN106 rather than the xN65, there may be some more variation. But I get the general idea. It looks like the frames may be the same between the standard/Xtra cab and the double cab, but the mounts themselves may be different.
Sorry, been busy with the move, but mine looks almost exactly like Johns! Cab sits on 3 mounts.
My bed floor is kinda crusty and needs some love..!

This is the frame I built to replace the one in my '85 standard cab with the mounts pointed out. It is rectangular tube steel, but otherwise built pretty close to mimic the OEM Toyota frame.

Do you think this is the same basic frame under the double cab? Or is it longer? Otherwise different?
Truck Frame.jpg

I had to wrap my downpipe in heat wrap because my clutch master cylinder would get soft after driving it fast for a while..
now if my transmission would stop sweating oil!!

I wrapped mine as well, seems to help a lot. You can find factory brake and clutch master heat shields from turbo LN and LJ trucks but man are they expensive.

Looks like it pulls well! What’s your cruising rpm on the highway?

I wrapped mine as well, seems to help a lot. You can find factory brake and clutch master heat shields from turbo LN and LJ trucks but man are they expensive.

Looks like it pulls well! What’s your cruising rpm on the highway?
I took the factory heat shield from my 2l manifold, bent an cut it to fit around my MC and also strapped the other one to the down pipe.. Ill take a picture.
I'm still using the KM odometer, but at (60)100KM's rpm is about 2700 and about 3000 rpm at 120km.
My motor seems to make peak boost above 3k anyway so it seems to have plenty of power at speed.

Its been some time since I have posted an update! since last I have done some small things:
Replaced my clutch with a 22r Valeo heavy duty clutch because my OEM one was slipping above 20psi
Moved the front axle forward 1 hole on the spring perch perch
changed wheels and tires to 16x8 Weds with 285/75/16 dick cypeck tires.
working on piecing together everything to convert the factory push pull to IFS/ Highsteer now!!
Untitled by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

I also got a MPH spedometer :cool:

anyway I'll try to post some more soon

here is a small update and photo dump since I finally have all of the parts in for the "BIG PM" ... been driving it a TON, I turned the fuel up, added an exhaust cut out before the muffler and its been running great.

Ln65 hilux by Ryan Miller, on Flickr
at a local car and truck show
downtown PDX
a pic of my electric cutout that I put in
and the good stuff.. I picked up a full Ironman 4x4 foam cell suspension re-fresh/ 2" lift kit

so my game plan for this month is:
talk myself into taking the truck back apart
do the timing belt
while the radiator is out, cut out the steering box and install the IFS steering box
swap the leaf springs/ shocks
Finish Hi-Steer

anyway thats it for now

here is a small update and photo dump since I finally have all of the parts in for the "BIG PM" ... been driving it a TON, I turned the fuel up, added an exhaust cut out before the muffler and its been running great.

at a local car and truck show
downtown PDX
a pic of my electric cutout that I put in
and the good stuff.. I picked up a full Ironman 4x4 foam cell suspension re-fresh/ 2" lift kit

so my game plan for this month is:
talk myself into taking the truck back apart
do the timing belt
while the radiator is out, cut out the steering box and install the IFS steering box
swap the leaf springs/ shocks
Finish Hi-Steer

anyway thats it for now
Such an awesome rig. Excited to see the updates

AFC83A77-26B3-4F94-89A5-0D8885F5E6A5.jpeg
7882B56D-265D-469B-8CDC-FAEF3D69B852.jpeg
F2C467C4-8540-4E1A-BE32-73CCEB193EC0.jpeg
79A7D866-A64F-41D8-B9FA-D93F5EC95E0D.jpeg

Small update:
I swapped over all 4 springs and shocks to the Ironman stuff. I removed the steering box ( and radiator ) cut off the stabilizer bar on the frame and axle and started mocking up my rhd IFS box.
I rolled out outside and actually drove it a little with the old steering and swept the shop out.. but I’m still going to do the timing belt before the radiator goes back in, so still a bit of work ahead of me

Got the steering box located, welded in the bracket and fully mounted. Got the steering shaft to connect up and centered.
I installed the hi steer arms.. had to dismantle one side fully as the bearing dropped a needle out when I removed the stock J arm.
Got the axle back together and then made the drag link and tie rods. Was able to put the truck on the ground and see clearance and fitment..
new issue is the 2” Ironman lift is not enough lift to clear my oil pan under compression.. I can lift up one side about 8” before things get near hitting..
still need to figure that out, leaning toward modifying my oil pan for more clearance

EEA040BD-BE49-4629-94FD-AD05DC1C2D03.jpeg

B24F2939-4958-41C1-A7AF-1174B8609A21.jpeg

0342E661-ED28-4DFC-89ED-3841D321F8EF.jpeg

A64B4242-CE38-4352-A977-FB4E8A8D8330.jpeg

3D576976-AF52-43B5-B6B5-175C6374B1EE.jpeg

Update: watch my 'tube! video done with the major maintenance for now and drove it around a little, however I do need to drop the oil pan down and somehow shorten it so that I get more clearance.. I really don't want to extend the bump stops if I can avoid it.

so far I put about 200 road miles on the truck, the steering bar barely kissed the oil pan under some heavy bumps, my remedy was to clearance the oil pan slightly and extend the bump stop down a little bit.

its ugly.. but it doesn't leak- fixed is fixed LOL

you can see our newest addition to motor mountain sleeping next to the truck in that last photo :D

I still need to get the alignment done, but it drive straight with 1 finger at 70.... so that should be more of a " sanity check"

not much of an update.. but Ive been driving it a lot since and got an alignment. Took it to LeSchwab and had no funny questions about any of it, which was nice.. they told me it was toed in a bit but set it straight with the rack. it drives really nice now, the steering snaps back nice and it tracks well on crummy roads.
The suspension is still very stiff for my liking after about 600 milles.. off road it isnt too bad, but on the highway it feels like you are in a car on coilovers.. . Not sure if thats the Ironman foam cell shocks or what. I drove around with about 500 pounds in the back for a week. Then picked up 1000lbs of pellets and drove on a washboard road for a while. It rides great with a load, but empty.. still bad on the highway. Trying to just drive it a lot in hopes it breaks in, but losing hope at this rate I might start looking into other shocks. otherwise its perfect.

Hilux by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Hilux by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Whelp this is not a update I want to share... Was going home, Hit a bump, fishtailed into a ditch that caught my tire and we rolled over.
Drove home like a hilux
should though. I don’t know if it’s dead.. none of the glass broke… but it’s pretty beat down now.. as am I

CD4D3617-843C-4E1D-B2AF-4E945104A994.jpeg

Oh man... 😭

As gnob says, I hope that you're ok. Hoping things can be fixed back up.

Wow, that really sucks Dude. Your Hilux is such a nice truck.

They do have a reputation for being easily tipped over. It has almost happened to me a couple of times.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom