My custom made rubber floor mats for my FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
had some time to kill today.. so I decided to knock this project out using my do-it-yourself-cheap method - as seen in a few of my other knock offs :)

Anyway, based on a tip I got, I order some black, diamond tread, 5/32 thick, 48x48" rubber matting (# 6815 t851 for $54.52) from www.mcmaster.com and built these cool custom sized and fit mats for my floors today.

front

mat1.jpg

back

mat2.jpg

rear

mat3.jpg

made patterns for the front and cut to fit while the back and rear were obvious.

nice, pretty thick, cheaper than SOR or CCOT rubber mats (or anyones for that matter) and you can custom cut the shape you want. I also found the 48x48" option to be just enough (with some to spare) for my FJ40 floor pattern/space (but I do have a bench and not jumpers in the rear).

Hey wantatlc, just had to say thanks for the great idea!

I never had any intentions of doing the tranny hump (that sounds kind of funny) actually - like to see the red and I never put my feet on that area ;)

but seriously, now that I did it, I can say that I think this 5/32 thick material would be a bit thick to lay out and bend/curve over the hump without buckling and folding up on you. just would not lay flat as it is a bit thick for that much of a curve up than immediate back down it seems.

Last edited:
wantatlc said:
I never had any intentions of doing the tranny hump (that sounds kind of funny) actually - like to see the red and I never put my feet on that area ;)

but seriously, now that I did it, I can say that I think this 5/32 thick material would be a bit thick to lay out and bend/curve over the hump without buckling and folding up on you. just would not lay flat as it is a bit thick for that much of a curve up than immediate back down it seems.

heat gun???
:confused:

SOR used to sell pieces of their tuff-stuff floor mats for under $20. I got one piece and it did the whole front of my fj40. Tranny hump is a separate piece that tucks under the floor pieces.

SOR sells something for under $20..... come on.... :) and you forgot the famous SOR shipping method.. $15 for a $20 item

anyway - in my case, I really wanted something more unique, like diamond plate pattern rubber, and a custom fit.

FWIW, that McMaster company inked above does other rubber variations than diamond plate. they sell more useful stuff than you can imagine.

I can second the awesomeness of MSC. Not only do they carry everything under the sun, you can also order their catalog to be delivered to people you don't like. Last one I got weighed a good 15 lbs.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom