My Buddy ran out of gas in his 100. Now, it will crank, but runs rough. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mechanic says the engine is cooked, but I’m not convinced. Ran a little hot right after. Anyone know any correlations between running out of gas and engine trouble? I immediately suggested fuel pump trouble, but they say no.

How does running out of gas cook an engine? Running out of coolant and oil does that, never seen a car's engine die after running out of gas. I'm interested to see what it could be, fuel pump probably burned out after running dry. Maybe all the gunk and debris at the bottom of the tank made its way through the fuel line and clogging things up, making it not get enough fuel and runs rough?

Start with FP

Mechanic says the engine is cooked, but I’m not convinced. Ran a little hot right after. Anyone know any correlations between running out of gas and engine trouble? I immediately suggested fuel pump trouble, but they say no.
Mechanic is full of s***

Engine might be 'cooked' but it has not one damn thing to do with running out gas. You may be sure of that.

Ask 'mechanic' to clarify...and IF he suggests the two are related...RUN far from him.

It’s still at the mechanic, so I haven’t been able to check it out yet. I’m convinced it’s the fuel pump, but out of the three LC’s that I own, I learn something new every day. I thought there ought be an outside chance that there was something computer related that might cause the engine to trigger limp mode or something. i’ve never Owned a 100 and each model has their own quirks and nuances. I’ll definitely check the fuel pump, then move forward from there. Thanks fellas.

On non direct injection engines including the one in the 100 series land cruiser the fuel injectors aerosolize gasoline ahead of the intake valve. This results in some of the gasoline ending up on the intake side of the valve helping to cool them during operation. It is possible that a lean condition running for too long can heat damage the valves or combustion chamber. However, this is highly unlikely to happen when a vehicle runs out of gas once. If it were running lean for many minutes to hours this might occur but the engine control unit typically prevents this by retarding or advancing spark timing for that cylinder.

Running out of gas can lead to air in the fuel lines. I believe that the 100 engine uses a high pressure recirculating fuel system which means that there is a high pressure side and low pressure side to the fuel system. The high pressure side (which is basically everything down stream of the pump) circulates high pressure fuel to the injectors. When the injectors fire they momentarily reduce the pressure allowing new fuel to be adde by the pump.

So long story short, it's possible to get air in the high pressure side that is difficult to get rid of. Occasionally as the car bumps along that air comes out when the injector fires causing a misfire and a sporatic rough running condition.

So . . . . . changing fuel filter, purging fuel lines etc may help this problem. If that doesn't work, check spark plug health as they are sometimes also damaged in a lean condition and are easy to replace.

Hope this is helpful!

this bolt fits the 100 fuel rail ports if you're looking for something like that.
russell 640700
amazon.com/Russell-640700-Fuel-Pressure-Banjo/dp/B000CPJI8I

My daughter has run my 2004 out of gas and her 1999 out of gas and neither had any issues.

My daughter has run my 2004 out of gas and her 1999 out of gas and neither had any issues.
I did it once, just to see how far I could get with the gas light on (43 city miles, way more than I thought). Dumped 2 gallons in and was on my way without a problem.

Fuel filter seems to be a good place to start. Oftentimes there is sediment at the bottom of the tanks on our high mileage (MANY fillup) vehicles. Then I would look at the fuel pump. That doesn't quite seem to make sense though because I have had fuel pumps go out and they have just died for me. There was no running rough with them.

A video or better description would be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom