My ‘92 FJ80 intro thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unusual color. I'd love to see a full body shot 😎
It was paint swapped by a PO. Based off what i can tell, during the repair of a crash to the passenger front door. I would have left it the factory metallic blue/grey color. The front bumper was on it when i bought it as well and was 2” too low. I modified the mounting brackets. I have no idea what vehicle the bumper went to. It was definitely the correct spacing and bolt pattern for the 80. Just too low.

EFE7F486-B748-4A3F-835E-7AAC922550E9.jpeg

3DC2E91B-886A-4D6C-8A25-B688AD94F028.jpeg

Add some wood grain down the sides an it could be the most 80s of 80s. :)

Dammit, so I'm not doing engine swaps until my house is built, I think you just made me decide to get a 100 for now - I want a v8 80 far too much.

So, in a bit of interesting circumstance, our normal, full-size, domestic farm truck ended up in the shop for months while in for repairs. The technician doing the bodywork came down with the flu twice, and pneumonia. The Farm 80 went into full service as our primary farm vehicle around the time of my last comment on this thread. We got the pickup back about a month ago and the 80 was due some service. The front axle seals had become terribly leaky. I did a full front axle service and installed an ARB air locker on the factory carrier, with new RCV 300-M front axles and birfields. I did the FZJ80 flange swap to connect the upgrade axles to the hubs. I re-studded the hubs and knuckles with ARP hardware, And OEM cones/nuts/washers. I installed new rotors and refurbished the calipers with some new pistons and seals. She drives like a dream. I hadn’t realized how smoothly it would drive when the bearing were not flooded with differential fluid.
i have yet to install the compressor. I plan to install it, the locker controls, the gauge cluster, speedo cable, tach converter, and other interface/stereo/dashboard related items all at once in the near future. I am currently refurbishing the FZJ80 rear housing and getting it ready so i can setup/install the rear ARB locker and swap the FF/airlocker in as a completed unit. It has some rust and i want to strip it all the way down and repaint it. I am taking the backing plates off at this point. I am having difficulty sourcing OEM rear FZJ80 backing plates. But these will not do. They are among the most rusty components on the housing. I will update with more ramblings soon. I will post some photos.

FD60867D-D714-490F-A27A-A93669C6D60C.jpeg

A3A01BC5-A743-4DAD-BDCA-69928CF11836.jpeg

B8D23C95-2AE9-445C-95B3-F2B86D6F1A78.jpeg

0C3D1443-B5A7-41DB-BD8E-F25434C6DCF4.jpeg

4553FD12-0F74-40CF-B7F5-EEB4B75873C7.jpeg

Looks like the front bumper for the 100 series as the 80 series ARB front bumpers don't have fog lights.

Very nice build so far. Jealous of the greasable birfield joints lol

Looks like the front bumper for the 100 series as the 80 series ARB front bumpers don't have fog lights.

Very nice build so far. Jealous of the greasable birfield joints lol
Thank you! I have no idea what the front bumper came off. I know there was a 2” gap between top of bumper and bottom of fender. I had to cut and relocate the brackets on the bumper for it to fit properly. I sent pics of it to a salesperson at ARB and he said it looked authentic, but he couldnt place the model. I hope the greasable birfields come in handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom