My ‘92 FJ80 intro thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In january of 2018 I purchased our 1992 FJ80 (my first) Land Cruiser. My wife was pregnant with unexpected twins. We already had 3 kids. I needed a vehicle which would reliably serve utility purposes for our farm while carrying our family of 7. I was dead-set on a solid front axle vehicle and had heard nothing but praise to the Land Cruiser’s capacity to meet our demands. I found the 80 on craigslist, it had 140,000mi on the odometer (which did not work). I met the seller, paid the guy $3800 and drove it home. After beginning the tune-ups (i would have done with any PO purchase) i drained the oil and found it to be VERY thick, but had already bought the factory-recommended weight for the 3FE. Upon startup after the oil change, a rod knock was revealed. Fast forward a month and i was faced with either a rebuild or a swap. I did research both on mud and youtube. Swap shopping was in order. I was torn between a V8 and 4BT. I decided against diesel because my wife would most likely be putting more miles on this vehicle than i. I wanted torque and power increase. After shopping around locally i found a complete 5.3/4L60E LM7 Swap out of a 2001 gmc sierra (sorry purists). The swap had everything from the clutch fan to the catalytic converters. It also included the harnesses and pcm. The seller warrantied it for 90 days and it had 80kmi on the clock. After this purchase I bought the marks adapter kit from advanced adapters and some conversion mounts and oil pan parts and set out on the adventure of removing the 3FE. Fast forward to November of 2019 and i have a V8 FJ80. It is not 100% road worthy as the gauges do not work properly. I believe the broken odo was likely from a PO mileage rollback attempt which caused a total speedometer, then cable failure not long after the swap was complete. Now it needs a new cluster.
As far as future build plans (other than the obvious cluster swap); I recently purchased an FZJ80 FF/disc complete rear axle setup to swap under her. I have dual battery boxes under the hood but only one battery right now. I am looking at purchasing/installing a compressor and ARB air lockers this winter. There has been a lot of spare time spent on this and i have taken tons of pictures along the way. I am sure another V8 80 is not news at this point so I will spare you any further unrequested details, and thank you for reading my intro thread!

011A40D6-DB24-4776-9646-6E98BB7769AA.jpeg

Very cool!

I dig. Sounds like you are handy. There are some folks that have done entirely new gauge clusters with aftermarket gauges. I'm having issues finding the original thread.

I dig. Sounds like you are handy. There are some folks that have done entirely new gauge clusters with aftermarket gauges. I'm having issues finding the original thread.
Thanks! I did most of the work. I hired a guy to weld in my conversion mounts and had a front driveshaft built. I had custom AC and PS lines made. Otherwise have done it all in my garage. The wiring harness was the worst of it (time consuming but not bad).
i have an 87 mini that i have gone through entirely mechanically.i have a nissan 240sx drift car that i built myself. I have worked on a bunch of chevy 4x4 stuff as well. I am a hobbyist but an enthusiast when it comes to nissan and toyota.

In january of 2018 I purchased our 1992 FJ80 (my first) Land Cruiser. My wife was pregnant with unexpected twins. We already had 3 kids. I needed a vehicle which would reliably serve utility purposes for our farm while carrying our family of 7. I was dead-set on a solid front axle vehicle and had heard nothing but praise to the Land Cruiser’s capacity to meet our demands. I found the 80 on craigslist, it had 140,000mi on the odometer (which did not work). I met the seller, paid the guy $3800 and drove it home. After beginning the tune-ups (i would have done with any PO purchase) i drained the oil and found it to be VERY thick, but had already bought the factory-recommended weight for the 3FE. Upon startup after the oil change, a rod knock was revealed. Fast forward a month and i was faced with either a rebuild or a swap. I did research both on mud and youtube. Swap shopping was in order. I was torn between a V8 and 4BT. I decided against diesel because my wife would most likely be putting more miles on this vehicle than i. I wanted torque and power increase. After shopping around locally i found a complete 5.3/4L60E LM7 Swap out of a 2001 gmc sierra (sorry purists). The swap had everything from the clutch fan to the catalytic converters. It also included the harnesses and pcm. The seller warrantied it for 90 days and it had 80kmi on the clock. After this purchase I bought the marks adapter kit from advanced adapters and some conversion mounts and oil pan parts and set out on the adventure of removing the 3FE. Fast forward to November of 2019 and i have a V8 FJ80. It is not 100% road worthy as the gauges do not work properly. I believe the broken odo was likely from a PO mileage rollback attempt which caused a total speedometer, then cable failure not long after the swap was complete. Now it needs a new cluster.
As far as future build plans (other than the obvious cluster swap); I recently purchased an FZJ80 FF/disc complete rear axle setup to swap under her. I have dual battery boxes under the hood but only one battery right now. I am looking at purchasing/installing a compressor and ARB air lockers this winter. There has been a lot of spare time spent on this and i have taken tons of pictures along the way. I am sure another V8 80 is not news at this point so I will spare you any further unrequested details, and thank you for reading my intro thread!

View attachment 2130489

awesome, I love seeing new life breathed into these old rigs. Seeing these kinds of threads makes me excited to do mine.

To have a gauge cluster out of an FJ80, 91 or 92. It will need some light bulbs but is otherwise complete. Let me know if you are still in need of one.

To have a gauge cluster out of an FJ80, 91 or 92. It will need some light bulbs but is otherwise complete. Let me know if you are still in need of one.
I am still in need of one! Do all the instruments work? I can deal with replacing bulbs. What mileage does it show?

I think the gauges work. I bought it used, but my 94 has the electric speedometer so I wasn’t able to use the parts off it. Ended up just taking some light bulbs. Odo is 131329 miles.

I think the gauges work. I bought it used, but my 94 has the electric speedometer so I wasn’t able to use the parts off it. Ended up just taking some light bulbs. Odo is 131329 miles.
Wow. Yes i would love to have it!

Here is a more recent photo of the engine bay. I installed an aluminum radiator and otherwise tidied up most of the loose ends here. I plan to use the second battery for the winch, compressor, and stereo power, at least. I may run the batteries in parallel through a controller or something. Not sure yet. I received the gauge cluster from @Travis 76 and hope to install it in the next week or so. Thanks to him for the hookup on the cluster!

C06BD916-8007-441D-8B37-5C8268D3F5AA.jpeg

Very cool! If you ever need a hand with something hit me up. I've been contemplating doing a repower whenever my 3FE gives up the ghost, so probably here in the next 75-100 years.

Are you in HOTSouth? I am a new member this year. I have thought i needed help many times along the way. I usually have been able to figure a way to do most of it on my own or with the help of my wife, however, you never know what you may run into. I bet the rear axle swap is going to be awkward and a bear. I appreciate your offer. i may reach out to you. I really put way too much effort into trying to keep the 3FE. If i had rebuilt it i would have saved some money for sure. Mine needed completely rebuilt. The rings were shot. It was blowing by so much oil once i got all the vacuum leaks sealed, that it was idling up around 1700 rpm from enrichment. I have no doubt that the 3FE Is super reliable. Reliability was in consideration here. But the repower serves much more function with little decrease in reliability. I believe this cruiser was abused and neglected by a previous owner, then smoothed out just enough to sell. It has all worked out so far. I plan to take her on her first group ride soon.

Unusual color. I'd love to see a full body shot 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom