My 80 Series Slider Build w/Picks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so I started tackling my slider build project and figured I would document the progress as I went along to help those who wish to do this on there own. I have has a blast doing the project so far. I have started on the driver’s side as it is the easiest to do due to the cats on the pass side.

I first started with the brackets. Bracket plates are 1/4" thick and cut to 3"x 9" Had the U-bolts made at a local spring shop. Center to center of the threads is 6 1/2" providing 1/4" space at the bottom and top of the frame rail. Bracket Channel is 1" x 2" x 3/16th inch thick. I first put the 1/4 plate in place on the frame rail in the locations I choose. Then cut the three individual 1x2 channel sections so they went out about 3" from the pinch weld under the rocker panel from the 1/4" plates.

Once those channel pieces were cut I tack welded the individual pieces onto the plates so that there was a 3/4" spacing under the pinch weld. I then pulled the bracket off of the frame to build the angled brackets that went from the top of the plate to the channel. I wanted as much strength as possible so I put them out as far as possible. I left about 1 to 1.5 inches of space before the pinch weld. Once the angle cuts where cut I welded all the brackets up. See pictures of final brackets....

drivers bracket bottom.jpg
drivers bracket top.jpg

Next step was to cut the ends of the 1x2 channel at the correct angle so that I could weld my main 2x3x3/16 tube in place. I wanted the 2x3 tube to be 1" out from the pinch weld so I put the brackets back on the frame and tighted the u-bolts up. Once everyting was in place I took a long strieght edge and laid it on top of the 1x2 channel and marked on each side once I had my straight edge 1" out from the frame rail. This gave me the correct angle to cut so I could weld on my main slider rail. after everything was marked I pulled them again and cut them... Put them back on and tacked up the main slider rail. See pictures of the main brackets mounted and the main 2x3 rail tacked in place. I also want to note that Yes I know my welds are not the prittiest, but I cranked my Lincoln 175 to insure I got good stong welds... :)
drivers slider bracket pick.jpg
drivers back to front.jpg
drivers front to back.jpg

looks good. Two questions....

1. why didn't you turn the channel upward on the outriggers, to eliminate them "catching" on stuff?

2. why didn't you turn the main sliding rail on it's side for more surface area?

Still, awesome job. The satisfaction of having made them is great.

looks good. Two questions....

1. why didn't you turn the channel upward on the outriggers, to eliminate them "catching" on stuff?

2. why didn't you turn the main sliding rail on it's side for more surface area?

Still, awesome job. The satisfaction of having made them is great.

Good questions...

I didn’t want MUD, Salt (Missouri winter roads) or water getting caught up in the channel. I plan on putting a few gussets inside the channel so if I do catch on something it will not bend the channel out.

2. Why didn't you turn the main sliding rail on its side for more surface area?

I really like the way Hanna built his 2nd generation sliders. He has the main slider rail the same way. I plan on attaching 2" DOM tube to the main slider rail so this gives me a bit more space for that. Another not is that we are talking about 1". My thought is that there is more stuff under the truck that sits much lower than the slider as it sits now that will catch before my slider does. I have never heard any individuals who have the HQ sliders complain about this so I figured it would be fine.

looks good. what's your plan for the cats on the PS?

looks good. what's your plan for the cats on the PS?

For the pass side w/ the cats I plan on using 1x2 box tube rather than channel for added striength due to all the angles to get around the cats. I plan on doing it similar to George's design. I am going to use the four threaded holes in the frame to attach a 6" x 6" x 1/4" plate to the frame that I can weld the bracket to. The rest of the brackets will be the same as the drivers side.

Lookin' great Zane. Can't wait to see them in person.

agreed. those sliders look good. They're going to look even better once you get the outriggers on there.

:cheers:

They look great, I have been thinking about building my own for a while and I now have the inspiration. thanks.:beer:

Zane - how's the progress? You coming to Emporia to finish them up in a couple of weeks?

Chris,

I'm building two sets, so its been a bit slow! I just finished up the (2)rear most passenger side brackets this weekend and hope to finish up the "CAT" brackets this weekend and put on the out riggers. With help from Jason. I plan on taking some pictures of the Pass side tonight to update the thread.

I dont know if I'm comming out or not, but I will keep you posted.

ZZ

OK, I wanted to give an update to what I have done for the pass side brackets and there placement. To allow for space between the center body mount bracket and the exhaust bracket I had to cut a notch out for the bold to clear it due to my mounting plates being 3" wide.

I still have to mark and cut the brackets at the correct angle to weld the slider to.

pass bracket.jpg
Pass bracket2.jpg
pass bracket3.jpg

Here is the plate I am going to use to weld the cat bracket to. I didn’t want to take the time to put the 4th bolt in, but it will be put in before I'm all done.

Note: The u-bolts you are looking at look a bit short. These are my extras and the final ones I will be using will have longer threads.

cat bracket plate.jpg

Nice work, see ya at lunch.

Looks really great! I wish I had some fab skilz.:frown:

Awesome work there zjz. Those are going to be burly. Great write up. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the other side. Good luck. Chris
:cheers:

Looks good...

(Hijack a little....Anyone build some for a 91 - 92 with the cats on the other side? all I find are 93 and up?)

Looks good...

(Hijack a little....Anyone build some for a 91 - 92 with the cats on the other side? all I find are 93 and up?)

I am building two sets one for my 97 and another with the older cat style so I will be posting up the differences in the two brackets once completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom