My 74 just out of the paint booth - iteration 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My intention was to modernize the look of my 74. So, I removed the stripes, colour-matched the top to the rest of the truck, and painted all the chrome in a satin black. I think that it looks pretty good; however, there are a couple of lessons learned here. I now understand why Toyota paints the FRP tops white or silver. When the paint flashed, it was evident that the top is very wavy. Therefore, I think that I’m going to change the top from the gloss to the same satin black that I used on the rest of the truck … or maybe I’ll have to think about it. Furthermore, I think that I’ll remove the running boards and the front mud flaps …. Anyway, let me know what you think

Mike
new paint front.JPG
new paint side.JPG

Wicked.

Awesome. Man that black sure does show the scratches, dents and scuffs. Good luck.

I've attached a before pic (those wheels are for sale - by the way).

Moose - you are absolutely correct. I am going to keep the mud flaps; however, I still don't like the running boards. I think i'll see what it looks like with them off.

Stone - those are Interco Trxus MTs. IMO the best compromise tire on the market.

I'm not too worried about scratches etc. I put down a two-stage; so, any small scratches will be easy to rub-out or touch up. As i mentioned in the title, this is iteration 1 for this truck. Further appearance changes to come.

The paint actually looks quite a bit less drastic today. Brand new paint is so full of static and it looked so fresh yesterday i was rather worried that it would always look deep. However, it seems to be setting up rather well.

Thanks for the feedback

Mike
before paint 2.JPG

Thanks, Darkman. Those Truxs tires are strong contenders for my next set of tires. Are you also using them for street use as well as the trails? I'm curious to how long they wear with daily road use. What size are they? I'm thinking about keeping my 255/85r/16...but would be open to moving up to 35"s in the near future. :)

Your original pin striping is actually one of the more attractive factory ones that I've seen. Both looks would have suited me. :cheers:

Stone

I had a set of Trxus MTs on my 77 FJ40. I put about 30K km on them prior to selling the truck. There was still lots of tread left. I must admit, they are not as good in the mud as my old Swampers; however, they are very good on the trail, quiet on the highway, and excellent in the snow. I feel that these tires are the perfect solution for a daily driver that goes off-raoding once in a whilie.

Mike

BIG improvement, my new favourite 74.

Kinda partial to the look cause it reminds me of my first 70 series.

Gotta love the smell of fresh paint.

man I like the look of the old decal kit, but I also like the new black she looks really clean.

Cheers

Cool...I'm not a fan of black...but looks great if your going for that look. You will make a few people do a double take to figure at a quick glance if it's a BJ70 or 73/74.

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom