My 2011 GX460 Build - Stay Classy SD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Been around for a while, mostly soaking up the builds from this forum and clublexus. I've had my GX460 since 2016 when I bought it with 60k miles. It is a 2011 Base in Starfire Pearl with Black interior. The Base from 2011 has a lot of standard features such as heated/cooled seats and power third row. Later years removed a lot of these features from the base model.

It has nearly 150k miles. Lots of fun has been had. I think this has turned out pretty nice so I wanted to share with you. As you can tell from the list below, I tried to stay with Toyota parts as much as possible.

Mods and retrofits:
1. OEM Radar Cruise Control Retrofit OEM Radar Cruise - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/921818-retrofit-oem-radar-cruise.html
2. OEM Wood steering wheel install, failed at retrofit of heated steering wheel
3. OEM Toyota 4runner TRD pro skid plate install with modifications
4. OEM GX460 Power folding and auto-dimming side view mirrors
5. OEM GX/4runner Fuel Tank Full Coverage Skid plate
6. OEM Toyota Prado 150 side skirts install with mud flaps
7. OEM 4Runner Rock Rails (slight modification of Prado 150 skirts required up front)
8. Bilstein 6112/5100 Combination with 2 inch lift front and rear (same rake maintained to allow radar cruise to function normally)
9. OEM Headlight replacement (old ones yellowed/fogged)
10. OEM Crawl control and MTS
11. OEM 4Runner TRD Pro Wheels in Bronze with BFG AT KO2 at 255/75/R17 C Load. This is a 10 inch wide and 32.1inch tall tire. A great "skinny" combo for the GX IMO. Fits well on the TRD Pro wheel. Only mild fender modification needed to fit this combination with the 2 inch lift.

Future plans:
1. OEM Transmission cooler retrofit
2. OEM Prado rear door to hold my spare tire (KO2 doesn't fit underneath)
3. OEM Prado Aux Fuel Tank Retrofit

Problems I've had:
1. Cracked Radiator - fixed
2. Coolant Valley Leak - fixed
3. Engine gasket leak (oil on the spark plugs) - fixed
4. Numerous door actuator failures - fixed
5. Slightly sagging front bumper - No fix?

InkedIMG_7601_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_7578_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_7293_LI.jpg

IMG_7602.jpg

IMG_7603.jpg

IMG_7263.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, reading the ClubLexus forum about your retro of dynamic cruise control, wasn't that a headache to do?
Or once you figured it out, it all fell together?

If I'm not mistaken, reading the ClubLexus forum about your retro of dynamic cruise control, wasn't that a headache to do?
Or once you figured it out, it all fell together?
Yea it was hard when I didn’t know the parts needed or where they were located. If I had to do it again it would be easy.

Yea it was hard when I didn’t know the parts needed or where they were located. If I had to do it again it would be easy.
Also, very impressed with your fortitude in persevering through all issues you came across.
If it's not too much trouble and when you have time, can you do a parts list with links?
I'd (along with probably others) like to get an idea of what it may cost knowing now what the correct components are needed and maybe if there are any limitations to not having a Premium trim level.
I know you had to go through a couple of iterations and purchases before got you it right.

Also, very impressed with your fortitude in persevering through all issues you came across.
If it's not too much trouble and when you have time, can you do a parts list with links?
I'd (along with probably others) like to get an idea of what it may cost knowing now what the correct components are needed and maybe if there are any limitations to not having a Premium trim level.
I know you had to go through a couple of iterations and purchases before got you it right.
Thank you. I was way over my head early in the process and even felt like giving up at times. The last piece of the puzzle was a small buzzer that needed to be plugged in under the dash, but without it the whole system didn’t work!

What year is your GX?

2013 Premium.
I purposefully wanted that year because when I was looking at getting one several years ago, there were no off-road/steel bumpers for the 2014+ models yet.
Thus I just went with the newest one I could find with the lowest mileage that was pre-2014.

2013 Premium.
I purposefully wanted that year because when I was looking at getting one several years ago, there were no off-road/steel bumpers for the 2014+ models yet.
Thus I just went with the newest one I could find with the lowest mileage that was pre-2014.

Here is my list for the 2011
1. ADD Radar Cruise Millimeter Wave Sensor (various part numbers depending on year) 88210-60100 ~1500
2. REPLACE Steering wheel controls for Radar Cruise 84250-60210-C0 ~100
3. ADD Driving Support Computer 88150-60030 ~100
4. ADD Seat Belt Control ECU 89810-60020 ~100
5. REPLACE both front seat belts with PCS compatible ones 73220-60530-C0 and 73210-60790-C0 ~600
6. REPLACE Brake Master Cylinder Solenoid 47217-60111 (NOT SURE IF YOU NEED TO DO THIS, BUT YOU LIKELY DO, LOTS OF WORK) ~800
7. ADD PCS switch 84770-50010 ~30
8. ADD SKID CONTROL BUZZER 86652-50010 ~5
9. REPLACE Front Emblem with Radar Compatible 53141-48050 ~30

For 2013:
Radar Sensor (2013) 88210-60051
Driving Support Computer 88150-60031

Cruise Control Switch Main 84632-58011
PreCrash Cancel Switch 84770-50010
Steering Wheel Buttons (Black) 84250-60210-C0 (I have a set left over if you want them)

Seat Belt Control Computer 89810-60040
Seat Belt Driver (black) 73220-60530-C0
Seat Belt Passenger (black) 73210-60790-C0

Front Emblem with Radar Compatible 53141-48050
SKID CONTROL BUZZER 86652-50010

I am now pretty certain that you do not need to replace the brake master cylinder. I would do this last (if necessary) after all of the other things are done.

Thanks!
Wow! Two to three thousand dollars! Gulp...
I may wait and upgrade to a newer GX when the next models come out in a few years and I'm ready to do another overland build.

Thanks!
Wow! Two to three thousand dollars! Gulp...
I may wait and upgrade to a newer GX when the next models come out in a few years and I'm ready to do another overland build.
Not cheap. But safety is very important. Only makes sense if you want to keep the car for a few more years. A few of the expensive parts (aside from the radar sensor which I would only buy new) are on ebay. For instance the drivers support computer is 100 on eBay but new it’s 800.

Reactions: r2m
I have dynamic cruise on my 2018 Tacoma. I don't really like it. It seems to slow me down more aggressively than it should, Saaaaaafety I'm sure.

Impressive retrofit. How do you like it's performance?

Maybe others could chime in as to how they like the factory adaptive cruise?

I have dynamic cruise on my 2018 Tacoma. I don't really like it. It seems to slow me down more aggressively than it should, Saaaaaafety I'm sure.

Impressive retrofit. How do you like it's performance?

Maybe others could chime in as to how they like the factory adaptive cruise?
I would agree with this for the most part. It works and in long freeway stretches I think it works great. You no longer need to have your foot near the brake or gas on long trips.

The worst feature is it’s aggressive acceleration if someone gets out of the way and there is a large differential in set speed and actual speed.

The safety comes more from its ability to brake if you aren’t paying attention. Even if you aren’t using the radar cruise. It has saved me a few times. The first time the seatbelt pulls you back anticipating a collision you realize it’s always watching. Priceless.

How did you modify the Prado rocker panels to work with the 4runner rock rails? I have Prado rocker panels on their way from Japan and am considering this combination as well.

How did you modify the Prado rocker panels to work with the 4runner rock rails? I have Prado rocker panels on their way from Japan and am considering this combination as well.
I used a dremel tool.

Also had to cut a corner off of the KDSS skid plate. See that square

2AE05E5E-8391-4E15-AB03-439EAEE187C8.jpeg

C20E878C-CB3C-425B-BF1C-62D01A9AE251.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Great build so far. Definitely watching this thread. I have a Starfire Pearl 2013 and seeing your tire and wheel combo has finally made up my mind. I was leaning heavily to the bronze TRD Pro 17x7 wheels with 10" wide tires. I like the tall/skinny look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom