muffler hanger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.arnolt.com
I noticed that the exhaust hangers at the front and rear of the muffler assembly have rusted through ('96). I think the tailpipe hanger might also be gone. The muffler itself is ok, insofar as it's still in one piece and sounds ok. Is there a way of re-attaching the hangers or getting replacement hangers or should I just pull the muffler out and get a Bosal with hangers attached? Maybe there's some magic that a muffler shop can work on it but the hangers are toast and don't look like they could be re-welded.

you could have them rewelded on if theres enough metal to weld with.

x2, should be no work at all for a muff shop to tack up some new hangers pretty cheap.... even if not int he stock location.

same thing

Happened on my '97. My local independent muffler guy just bent some steel rod and made 2 new hangers for $25, that was 4 years ago. Still going strong.

Great, thanks. I was concerned it was going to cost more in labor than a new muffler. There's probably enough metal but they would need to use a rod or strap or something like that to bridge the gap.

The "tailpipe hanger" you speak of is probably just a small rubber block with mounting studs that eventually wastes away, leaving your tail hanging, so to speak.

It's a factory part, something like $3 or $4 from CDan and not much more from most dealers.

As Land Crusier exhaust parts go, it's a Great Value!:p:rolleyes:;)

That won't fix the muffler hangers, but it's kind of important that the tail pipe have some motion, which the factory tail pipe hanger mounting provides. Takes like two minutes to install. Better than anything the local muffler shop will have, because it's the thing you need, not what they might have. Put it on yourself or take it to them to put on when they fix the muffler.

What greentruck said....Land Cruiser 80 Series exhaust is setup a bit different than most vehicles and requires the proper parts for it to work like it was designed. I had a hanger rust out on me the summer before last and I had an exhaust shop do a temp fix, which lasted all of two or three days. Fix it correct the first time and drive on!

The rubber blocks are still intact, the spot where the hangers attach to the muffler/flange is rusted through. There's not enough good metal at the end of the hanger to tack weld it back - it could be ground a bit shorter to get to good metal I suppose.

You're talking about the muffler hangers, I think. The local boys may be able to fix you up there -- or at least plumb in a new muffler if they don't have enough left to work with from the factory parts.

What I and Pete were specifically referring to is a small hanger that attaches at the rear PS just behind the tire. It's next to something called the resonator, which looks like a tiny little "extra" muffler. Usually there's enough left behind that the bracket on the pipe can be reattached to the hanger there -- IF you get the small rubber block we're talking about. Your tailpipe is usually in good enough shape to salvage if you can get this rear hanger to work for you.

Thing is you may not even realize what it looks like, unless you know it's there to begin with. However, your local Toyota dealer should be able to show you the diagram that has this item on it -- or call CDan.

Sorry I don't have the Part #. As an ex-parts guy myself, I can usually pick something like this # out of old paperwork, but it's got one of those obscure names:p

A follow up and conclusion on this question. Took the truck to a muffler shop and, as a suspected, it was not possible to weld the hangers back on. Too rusted. Their suggestion was to weld 2 universal hangers on and then bolt them on to the frame somewhere. I didn't like the idea of drilling into the frame so I decided just to change the muffler.

Getting the old muffler out was a PITA. Bolts rusted to nubs so it was a combination of sawzall, angle grinder and belt grinder. I got a Bosal replacement muffler. Painted it with some VHT. Not sure it'll help much, but worth a try.

The Bosal was a little irritating for 2 reasons. First, the forward hanger (just some round bar welded to a steel tab) could not be rotated into place with my setup (I have some sliders) and it had to be modified a bit. Second, the tabs onto which the OEM hanger cushion is bolted were welded incorrectly. The round bar was too close to the mounting holes. I had to grind away as much of the metal seat for the cushion as I could but it still wouldn't quite sit flush. Basically ending up cutting the tab off and modifying the remains of the old hanger and welding that on to the round bar.

There are times when an OEM part is worth the trouble - I think this was one of them. Pity my local dealers charge 10% over list . . .

Yeah, exhausts are always a PITA. Glad you're done, no doubt.

I'd agree this is one place where the OEM stuff helps and is probably worth any extra. Long pieces might be a problem, but CDan or beno can help you on the cost, if whatever the freight is doesn't hurt the discount too much.

You need -- and deserve -- a :beer:

Good to hear you were able to wrap this project up, despite some frustrations. And as Mike said, OEM whenever possible, CDan and beno will always beat the dealer even with shipping.

Have a few beers and map out the next project!

1 x FZJ80 Header-Back Exhaust (1993-1997)
Year Model 1995-1997 $1,200.00
---------
Sub-Total: $1,200.00
Discount Coupon: paidbyphone : -$1,352.87
Total: $0.00

mickeyt...so you paid $0 for your fine EMS powered exhaust, is that what I understand?

Thats some deal.

I'll take the OEM gear any day of the week. I paid $250 for a low mileage used OEM y-pipe exhaust system not to long ago and updated all other associated hardware with new OEM. It was a like new system at that point, for only about $350 when things were all said and done. Oh and a few coats of high-temp paint for good measure....it should give me another 200K.

EMS is pretty, but OEM is what the Dr. ordered....my Dr. anyway.

OEM is great except for the price and availability. I don't know about you but my local dealers don't stock anything, charge a nice premium on top of list, you still have to wait 3 days for the order and you have to drive to pick it up by 5pm when the parts dept closes.

Anyway, go for a few more years until the PA road brine gets the muffler again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom