MTB "Guides?" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We live in an pretty special place here in So. Oregon. There are trails from mild to wild. I know there is one company running shuttles to the top of Mt Ashland. I made one trip with them and was not impressed. The services were not a problem it was the attitude of the other customers. It was pretty much a downhill crew and I was the old guy on a hard tail.:rolleyes: (I smoked all of them except for one. He ran some fire road instead of the single track.:lol:)

This got me thinking about the needs of other riders. Alot of people don't mind earning thier turns and longer XC rides. We have some amaizing country around us and numberous trails not accessed by the shuttles. I know most of them and I defenitely like to earn my turns. Our local economy is largely a tourist one. I am considering offering quality guided mtb rides. No attitudes just great trails. Some of them might be long enough to include quality lunches. Has anyone been on a guided ride, other than a strait up shuttle to the top and bomb it down? What was your experience? How long was the ride? How was the fee structured?

Any other input on mtb guide businesses you have experienced is appreciated.

:cheers:

We live in an pretty special place here in So. Oregon. There are trails from mild to wild. I know there is one company running shuttles to the top of Mt Ashland. I made one trip with them and was not impressed. The services were not a problem it was the attitude of the other customers. It was pretty much a downhill crew and I was the old guy on a hard tail.:rolleyes: (I smoked all of them except for one. He ran some fire road instead of the single track.:lol:)

This got me thinking about the needs of other riders. Alot of people don't mind earning thier turns and longer XC rides. We have some amaizing country around us and numberous trails not accessed by the shuttles. I know most of them and I defenitely like to earn my turns. Our local economy is largely a tourist one. I am considering offering quality guided mtb rides. No attitudes just great trails. Some of them might be long enough to include quality lunches. Has anyone been on a guided ride, other than a strait up shuttle to the top and bomb it down? What was your experience? How long was the ride? How was the fee structured?

Any other input on mtb guide businesses you have experienced is appreciated.

Last April, I rode in Sedona Az with a guide. I came to AZ as a tourist with my family, but was able to plan a ride through a local bike shop. I paid both a shop fee and a rental fee and a decent tip to the guide. I assume, part of the shop fee went to the guide, too.

I ride XC and told the shop owner, that I could handle aggressive single track. With that in mind, the owner picked a specific guide for me. It was really a perfect match.

We rode at race pace (as best you can with 5' inch travel bikes) through great trails and slick rock. While some trails were on the map, there's no way as a tourist I would have been able to find all of them or connect to other areas. The guide knew every trail there!

I had a solid 2+ hour ride, felt I got my money's worth and if I had the time, would have used the same guide again for a different set of trails.

A great guide made for a great ride!

Last April, I rode in Sedona Az with a guide. I came to AZ as a tourist with my family, but was able to plan a ride through a local bike shop. I paid both a shop fee and a rental fee and a decent tip to the guide. I assume, part of the shop fee went to the guide, too.

I ride XC and told the shop owner, that I could handle aggressive single track. With that in mind, the owner picked a specific guide for me. It was really a perfect match.

We rode at race pace (as best you can with 5' inch travel bikes) through great trails and slick rock. While some trails were on the map, there's no way as a tourist I would have been able to find all of them or connect to other areas. The guide knew every trail there!

I had a solid 2+ hour ride, felt I got my money's worth and if I had the time, would have used the same guide again for a different set of trails.

A great guide made for a great ride!

That is exactly what I am thinking might work here. One local area inparticular is very confusing even for me to ride. On top of that when we travel my wife does not want me riding unfamiliar areas alone. She would gladly pay a guide $50 to lead me out for a couple of hours. I have run into alot of riders who are in town with family for the plays. They were sorry they didn't know about the riding before they came out. If I had bikes for them they would have been happy to do a 2-3 hour loop.

I did the same as you through a bike shop in Whitefish MT. I had a great ride and it was worth every penny.

I you don't mind could you PM or post up what the shop charged you. I am guessing most of the shops do this business on the side. I doubt the guides are licensed, insured and have FS permits. Since I am a licensed guide I have to get all my permits and insurance line up or risk loosing my license. I just need to figure out rates and my break even point.

That is exactly what I am thinking might work here. One local area inparticular is very confusing even for me to ride. On top of that when we travel my wife does not want me riding unfamiliar areas alone. She would gladly pay a guide $50 to lead me out for a couple of hours. I have run into alot of riders who are in town with family for the plays. They were sorry they didn't know about the riding before they came out. If I had bikes for them they would have been happy to do a 2-3 hour loop.

I did the same as you through a bike shop in Whitefish MT. I had a great ride and it was worth every penny.

I you don't mind could you PM or post up what the shop charged you. I am guessing most of the shops do this business on the side. I doubt the guides are licensed, insured and have FS permits. Since I am a licensed guide I have to get all my permits and insurance line up or risk loosing my license. I just need to figure out rates and my break even point.

I think the shop charged close to $90 for the two guided hours and maybe $30 for the rental. I assume the shop split the fee 50/50 with the guide. The shop may have had insurance, but no way did the guide. This was a part time gig as normally, he'd be driving a tour bus to the Grand Canyon.

It was awesome riding with someone who really knew the trails and was able to match my skill level with the proper terrain. I think I gave the guide a $50 tip and felt the whole experience was worth every penny.

There's no way I'd feel comfortable riding in the desert without a guide.

HTH

This outfit kicks ass. I haven't been, but _lots_ of my friends have.

Mountain Bike Oregon : Event, Biking Trails, Mountain Bike Videos

I have heard about that event. I tried to go last year but it was sold out by mid May. That event is one of my inspirations to start looking in to this. It is held right where the Cascade Cream Puff is run. I have ridden the Puff three times and it was a life changing experience. i don't know what comes after "epic" but the puff would be right after that.

My MTB buddies do guided MTB trips every summer. Trips last 5-10 days. Canada, Colorado, Moab, the Grand Canyon North Rim, etc. They love it, and they really like their guide service. I'll post when I remember the name.

Fast Eddy was real close w/ his suggestion of MBO, but you really need to talk to the MBO promoter - Randy about his guide business - Oregon Adventures - Mountain Biking Tours and Adventure Vacations. Now that MBO sells out both sessions every year (I'll be at both again this year), his guide business is spreading. Randy's a real mtb advocate. He'll give you the straight dope on what it means to run a mtb guide gig.

Best of luck and if you go for it, make sure to let me know so I can send folks your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom