Mounting iPhone + Mini iPad + InReach (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice. I tend toward being concerned with sticking adhesive on the dash, but I’m guessing the velcro adhesive is pretty mild? Any issues with it peeling up or anything?
I actually peeled it off today to adjust it slightly. No marring at all on the surface. You do need to press it down and let it cure a bit when you initially install it before putting the pad on there.

I'm trying to find the parts to put together what @Markuson and @BigMF have. I've found two RAM type B ball mounts (one and two). I've also found this twist and tilt which might work. But I'm not finding the exact one that @Markuson seems to have. His appears to be an L bracket with a ball. It also appears he has a triple ball from another company (iBolt?) along with a long arm with probably another triple ball going to a mount for his Ham radio head, then on the end of the long arm, some sort of magnet mount. I'm very curious to know the parts purchased. I've got my InReach+ coming this week and need to get it mounted securily. Thanks!

I'm trying to find the parts to put together what @Markuson and @BigMF have. I've found two RAM type B ball mounts (one and two). I've also found this twist and tilt which might work. But I'm not finding the exact one that @Markuson seems to have. His appears to be an L bracket with a ball. It also appears he has a triple ball from another company (iBolt?) along with a long arm with probably another triple ball going to a mount for his Ham radio head, then on the end of the long arm, some sort of magnet mount. I'm very curious to know the parts purchased. I've got my InReach+ coming this week and need to get it mounted securily. Thanks!

I sourced the spacers, washers and bolts elsewhere. Bot from RAM. If I wasn’t in a hospital bed, I could send you the bolts you need, as I had to buy in bulk…and more than I’ll ever need.

If still striking out, srnd me a message and maybe I can help.

I sourced the spacers, washers and bolts elsewhere. Bot from RAM. If I wasn’t in a hospital bed, I could send you the bolts you need, as I had to buy in bulk…and more than I’ll ever need.

Why you in hospital? Hemorrhoidectomy? :D

I am going to try to use this. RAM® 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base - https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U

I may also end up with some extras, McMaster Carr is delivering daily as I sort this out. The RAM ball with the drivers grab handle like @Markuson uses is brilliant.

Why you in hospital? Hemorrhoidectomy? :D

Ha. Nah… Spine went boom. Couldn’t get up or walk. Making progress after a week here… :-/

I may also end up with some extras, McMaster Carr is delivering daily as I sort this out. The RAM ball with the drivers grab handle like @Markuson uses is brilliant.

I got that idea from @ethernectar. I just went a little extra nuts on mine, but it really does work a charm. Trick is soacers and washers chosen at length that allows attachments, but still holds handle on tight.
Care must be taken to not over-torque…but on my most heavily used side, I added a rivet nut…and its actually an improvement.

Ha. Nah… Spine went boom. Couldn’t get up or walk. Making progress after a week here… :-/
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had some back issues so I know how much pain that can cause. I've never been in the hospital for it though. Good luck and get well!

I think I'll need to wait on making my permanent mount. I've got the suction cup mount coming, so that will have to be good enough for this trip. After going through pages of RAM ball mounts and arms, this doesn't seem like an easy solution I can have in less than 2 weeks. Unless someone has all the part numbers handy. Even looking through McMaster-Carr is a task. I don't know what the thread pitch is for those bolts in the hand grab handle. I will do it, but it will take some time I think.

New user, so forgive me as I get my posting quirks out. I used the Ram mounts to mount an iPad mini in front of the useless ashtray. It's plugged into the cigarette lighter, bluetoothed into my radio, connected to my iphone hotspot, and now acts as the brains behind my operation.

ipad mini.jpg

New user, so forgive me as I get my posting quirks out. I used the Ram mounts to mount an iPad mini in front of the useless ashtray. It's plugged into the cigarette lighter, bluetoothed into my radio, connected to my iphone hotspot, and now acts as the brains behind my operation.

View attachment 2673205
Why not just use your iPhone and mount it up higher (close to line of sight)? IPhones now are almost as big as the iPad Mini (at least the Pro Max models).

And unlike the iPad, you can take your phone with you when you leave your car. That iPad sitting there all day is just itching for a car break-in by thieves! And i am not sure if iPads are really made for sitting under the hot summer sun for hours and hours.

Why not just use your iPhone and mount it up higher (close to line of sight)? IPhones now are almost as big as the iPad Mini (at least the Pro Max models).

And unlike the iPad, you can take your phone with you when you leave your car. That iPad sitting there all day is just itching for a car break-in by thieves! And i am not sure if iPads are really made for sitting under the hot summer sun for hours and hours.
I don’t need it any higher. Not supposed to be looking at it while you’re driving. I use Siri to navigate most things. And it’s as portable as your iPhone would be. Plus I like my phone being separate from the de-facto head unit.

As to portability, I pop it out if I need to take it inside and use or update it, just like you would an iPhone. And it’s been mounted like that for 2+ years and I’ve never had any problems with thrives or the hot summer days in Charleston, SC.

I have been unsing an iPad Pro with the smart case which easily attaches magnetically to the speaker grill. I bought a magnetic lightning adapter and routed a cable for power...
8lGmCj1.jpg
This was so inspiring that I went out and bought an 11-inch iPad today. I'm so stoked with the results!

I cannot get my iPad to connect to my radio and have no idea why.
I was able to hook mine into Bluetooth. Auto pauses when powering off, and the newer iPad senses presence so it auto locks after walking away but stays on when using it for nav or music.

Reverse camera usage??

Would it invite theft?

Reverse camera is painful to lose so far. Theft might be ok since it blends in so well IMO.
Yeah i don’t understand the purpose of having iPad. I just mount my 13 Pro Max on my AC vent and call it a day. 13 PM has 6.7” screen…plenty big for Apple Maps. Line of sight…perfect while driving. Easy to reach if needed. Sturdy. And in hot weather, the AC cools the phone while it navigates. In cold weather, i shut off that vent.

I have been in hot summer and cold winter……..never an issue.

00AC6871-70FA-434D-953A-459BDE02AC11.jpeg

C364F126-DDC5-4CCE-8E69-10B69AAF1BDC.jpeg

997FE92D-F0A7-4B8F-AC84-5C2CBEFF6F01.jpeg

This seems like an old thread, but I have my phone, ipad mini and inreach mini on a Gamiviti speaker replacement cover, with a track and removable ball mounts. I have a collection of Ram arms and quadlock mounts that I can combine as needed to make it a secure and stable mounting platform. I also have a garmin mount, and a mount for my Baofeng (from etsy) that I can put into the mix as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom