Most common problems GX460 for current owners (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on the market for a GX470 but with thr insane prices I think I should just go with the GX460. In terms of reliability and maintenance, I've heard of the water pump and timing chain cover leaks, and something regarding the spark plug socket. For current owners, what are things you had to fix and I should look after? I'm also thinking buying remotely but not sure if this is a mistake since it would be my first time buying a car I have not driven.

They’re as reliable as modern day cars come. Things need fixed but less so than any real competition. The 460 is better than the 470, opinions aside it is. Maybe you’d prefer one or the other, or afford one or the other, but newer is better by most people’s standards. Newer usually gets you longer before issues, and so is the case here. That compromise of new and less issues or older and more issues...that’s your priority to pick.

That said, as a person who’s owned nearly 50 cars....never buy a car you haven’t driven and seen unless you’re willing to throw away that money. I’ve done it a few times and have regretted it 100% of the times.

They’re as reliable as modern day cars come. Things need fixed but less so than any real competition. The 460 is better than the 470, opinions aside it is. Maybe you’d prefer one or the other, or afford one or the other, but newer is better by most people’s standards. Newer usually gets you longer before issues, and so is the case here. That compromise of new and less issues or older and more issues...that’s your priority to pick.

That said, as a person who’s owned nearly 50 cars....never buy a car you haven’t driven and seen unless you’re willing to throw away that money. I’ve done it a few times and have regretted it 100% of the times.
I agree with your first point but on your second even though I agree, that is my only option as prices here are insane lol

I understand, 470 prices are a lot closer to 460 prices than normal, but still they’re different. I started my GX journey looking for a 470 and quickly realized a 460 wasn’t much more, but yes more. So I bought a 460. Newer, better options, slightly more.

I spent $7k more on a 460 than I wanted to on a 470. I also realized when shopping that I really spent about $2k more on a 460 than I was prepared to on a good 470. I’m still good with that decision now.

I have to agree buy as new as you can afford. I took money from the mod fund and put it towards a much larger down payment.

Cost to mod either a 470 or 460 will be around the same. Maintenance on a 470 will be higher due to age and miles.
A full blow build like mine will run 25k with me performing 97% of the mods. Do you want to put that kind of money into a 100,000 mile plus rig?

Ive been there done that. Drove it for a total of 20 years to get some sort of ROI.

I can't agree with jmanscotch and Washingtontaco more. I was looking at GX470 main reason being price. I've been lurking on all these boards for months trying to find a GX (I'm very picky). I read a thread somewhere, where a member had owned both. He stated that yeah, the 460s are $5k-$6k more than a late model comparable 470. But the modern-ness, comfort, driving aids, and updates more than make up for the price difference. I was lucky enough to find a dealership in New Orleans than had both. So I was able to drive them back-to-back. Let me tell you the differences between the two is night and day. The 470 ('08) was actually in WAY better shape than the 460 ('10) but driving the two were very different. The 470 felt old, looked dated (especially interior wise), and drove like an older SUV, nothing significant to report. The 460 was much smoother, refined driving feel, updated interior, and interior noise (much quieter). Even only being 2 years newer than the 470, it felt WAY newer, It was just much better in every way. This particular 460 was very beat up and not cared for and the dash was lit up like a christmas tree, and that most definitely factored into me completely changing my mind on getting the 460. For as trashed as that 460 was, I knew I still preferred it over the 470. I obviously passed on that 460. I found my '11 460 w/ 89K for $21K OTD in Atlanta about a month ago. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and grateful I was able to do a honest side-by-side.

This is not trashing the 470s, it's just my opinion and preference. Again, IMHO the price difference between the two is worth every penny if you can afford it.

Last edited:
To answer your question: radiator leak, water pump, valley plate leak, timing cover leak, secondary air filter (covered by recall/warranty). What am I missing?

What do you guys think of these service records, sounds like a red flag?

118322 MILES​

DATE: 01/2021

SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: MULTI-POINT INSPECTION NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIMESET ALL TIRES TO MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDED PRESSUR ~|~MULTI-POINT INSPECTION NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIMESET ALL TIRES TO MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDED PRESSURE RF LF RR LR ~|~ ~|~118322 SET TIRE PRE...READ MOREMULTI-POINT INSPECTION NOT PERFORMED AT THIS TIMESET ALL TIRES TO MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDED PRESSUR
SERVICE: COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION
DESCRIPTION: COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION ~|~COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION ~|~
SERVICE: MISCELLANEOUS REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: MISCELLANEOUS REPAIR ~|~CUSTOMER CAME BACK AFTER SERVICE DUE TO OVER-HEATING. INSPECT ~|~ ~|~118322 EXCESSIVE LUBRICATION ON UPPER RADIATOR HOSE CAUSED HOSE TO COME OFF.

118311 MILES​

DATE: 01/2021

SERVICE:
DESCRIPTION: DIAGNOSE AND RECOMMEND REPAIR - FOUND COOLANT AROUND RADIATOR AREA WILL NEED TO PRESSURE TEST COOL ~|~DIAGNOSE AND RECOMMEND REPAIR - FOUND COOLANT COMING FROM RADIATOR, WILL NEED TO PRESSURE COOLANT SYSTEM TO VERIFY. ~|~ ~|~118311 150 PERFORMED COOLANT PRESSURE TEST FOUND RADIATOR CRACKEDSHOW LESSDIAGNOSE AND RECOMMEND REPAIR - FOUND COOLANT AROUND RADIATOR AREA WILL NEED TO PRESSURE TEST COOLHOSE, RADIATOR. HOSE CLAMPS - REPLACE - RECOMMEND REPLACING UPPER RADIATOR HOSE TO START, AND RETE ~|~HOSE, RADIATOR. HOSE CLAMPS - REPLACE - RECOMMEND REPLACING UPPER RADIATOR HOSE TO START, AND RETEST COOLANT SYSTEM. IF LEAKAGE STILL OCCU...READ MOREHOSE, RADIATOR. HOSE CLAMPS - REPLACE - RECOMMEND REPLACING UPPER RADIATOR HOSE TO START, AND RETERADIATOR - REPLACE - REPLACED UPPER RADIATOR HOSE AND CLAMPS, PERFORMED COOLANT PRESSURE TEST, LEA ~|~RADIATOR - REPLACE - REPLACED UPPER RADIATOR HOSE AND CLAMPS, PERFORMED COOLANT PRESSURE TEST, LEAK STILL OCCURRED, SMALL CRACK ON RADIATOR ~|~ ~|~118311 200 REMOVE RADIATOR SIDE DEFLECTOR LH , USING A CLIP REMOVER, DETACH THE 3 CLAWS AND REMOVE THE CLIP. THEN MOVE THE RADIATOR SIDE DEFLECTOR LH SO THAT THE RADIATOR CAN BE REMOVED IN THE STEP BELOW. REMOVE RADIATOR SIDE DEFLECTOR RH. USING A CLIP REREAD MORESHOW LESSRADIATOR - REPLACE - REPLACED UPPER RADIATOR HOSE AND CLAMPS, PERFORMED COOLANT PRESSURE TEST, LEA
SERVICE: COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION
DESCRIPTION: COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION ~|~COMPLEMENTARY VEHICLE SANITIZATION ~|~
SERVICE: DIAGNOSE CONCERN AND RECOMMEND REPAIR
DESCRIPTION: DIAGNOSE CONCERN AND RECOMMEND REPAIR ~|~PINK FLUID UNDER VEHICLE.INSPECT AND ADVISE. ~|~ ~|~118311 118311 FOUND COOLANT COMING FROM RADIATOR, WILL NEED TO PRESSURE COOLANT SYSTEM TO VERIFY.
SERVICE: GMPI - PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION -
DESCRIPTION: GMPI - PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION - ~|~PERFORM MULTI-POINT INSPECTION - ~|~ ~|~118311 118311 PERFORMED MULTI-POINT INSPECTION FRONT BRAKE PADS HAVE 8.0 MM REMAINING REAR BRAKE PADS HAVE 7.0 MM REMAINING FRONT TIRES HAVE 9/32" OF TREAD REMAINING REAR TIRES HAVE 7/32" OF TREAD REMAINING SET TIRE PRESSURES TO MANUFACTURES SPECIFICATIONSHOW LESS

I've been running VIN's at Lexus...470 & 460's

In the market.....for one or the other

But have promised myself to sell current Taco first...just don't need four 4x4 trucks

Searching for one is half the fun...sometimes find Lexus records confusing to read

Car Fax records will reveal location(s)/owners which is very helpful

Six owners on an early 460 ?......skip on to next one

I test drove both before buying. End up with sport GX470. The market right now is not normal. I would definitely buy GX460 if I am in the market now. Although I would still prefer the driving dynamic of KDSS equipped GX470. GX470 got faster steering ratio and sportier KDSS setup plus non lethargic throttle response which fits my driving style better. Which it taking corner relatively fast on lifted BOF SUV👺🙈

My preference would be:
1. KDSS equipped GX470
2. GX460
3. 5th gen 4runner Trail/TRD with KDSS
4. Non KDSS GX470

The valley plate/timing cover leak seems to be common and expensive to fix on GX460.
GX470 got weak rear axle that is even more expensive to fix properly.

My opinion on 460:

- Throttle response easily can be cured by a Pedal Commander or equivalent.

- Coolant Valley Plate leak repair averages around $1500-$1600. Surely some are more or less. I'd be up to tackle this one myself if it ever occurred.

- TIming chain cover leak/weep is a little overblown IMO. There are some examples that leak more than I would be comfortable with and need a repair but most are just a weep that one could easily clean up with some brake cleaner every couple oil changes. A Lexus tech on GXOR mentioned not really seeing them get worse than whatever initial leak or weep occurs when customers brought in their vehicles for service. Some are seeing a weep and thinking they need to drop big $$$ for a fix right away. I've heard of a few doing small external Permatex seal that seems to be holding up too. Certainly not an eloquent fix but if it works and can't readily be seen an option as well. Of course if I was shopping and all things considered equal including price I would choose one myself without the leaks.

My opinion on 460:

- Throttle response easily can be cured by a Pedal Commander or equivalent.

- Coolant Valley Plate leak repair averages around $1500-$1600. Surely some are more or less. I'd be up to tackle this one myself if it ever occurred.

- TIming chain cover leak/weep is a little overblown IMO. There are some examples that leak more than I would be comfortable with and need a repair but most are just a weep that one could easily clean up with some brake cleaner every couple oil changes. A Lexus tech on GXOR mentioned not really seeing them get worse than whatever initial leak or weep occurs when customers brought in their vehicles for service. Some are seeing a weep and thinking they need to drop big $$$ for a fix right away. I've heard of a few doing small external Permatex seal that seems to be holding up too. Certainly not an eloquent fix but if it works and can't readily be seen an option as well. Of course if I was shopping and all things considered equal including price I would choose one myself without the leaks.

I'm worried about that leak specially since I'm looking to buy out of state

I'd personally only feel comfortable seeing it myself or via a trusted inspection by a 3rd party with pictures from top to bottom.

I'd let others chime in if there are services that one could leverage for this.

I'm not that confident overall that Lexus service is going to fully show any issues. I've seen some report a leak on an inspection that occurred right after the warranty expired.

Sounds like a radiator replacement above and one of the hoses replaced possibly wasn't fastened properly or they say "Excessive Lubrication"

If you'd like PM the VIN or URL and I will see if I can dig anything else up on that vehicle you are looking at.

I'd personally only feel comfortable seeing it myself or via a trusted inspection by a 3rd party with pictures from top to bottom.

I'd let others chime in if there are services that one could leverage for this.

I'm not that confident overall that Lexus service is going to fully show any issues. I've seen some report a leak on an inspection that occurred right after the warranty expired.

Sounds like a radiator replacement above and one of the hoses replaced possibly wasn't fastened properly or they say "Excessive Lubrication"

If you'd like PM the VIN or URL and I will see if I can dig anything else up on that vehicle you are looking at.
I actually called the dealership that has it and they told me it "didn't pass their inspection and would sell it at wholesale"

Where do you look to check for the timing cover leak? The previous owner of my 460 had a Lexus dealer fix it about 50k miles ago.

Let’s not forget the valve cover leak into the spark plugs. In my case, 3 out of the 8 spark plugs had oil, and getting all of the plugs out, especially the rear ones, was super fun. The issue is the spark plug seals failed, that are inside the valve cover, cost of repair was about 800.00. I doubt in a PPI they will remove all of the plugs, since the left side requires removal of the intake.

I actually called the dealership that has it and they told me it "didn't pass their inspection and would sell it at wholesale"
I would carefully look at what exactly is done during the inspection. Somethings will be obvious, like rust on frame etc others not so much.

Like others have mentioned , the coolant valley repair is pricey and seems to be a common issue. My GX was recently purchased, and it’s slowly loosing coolant, so just keep an eye out for LOW coolant overflow tanks.

If over 100k make sure water pump / thermostat has been changed. This can be DIYed if you have tools etc. Same applies for tensioner and accessory belt.

Another quick check is OIL level and color. Make sure oil looks like oil and not oil mixed with coolant which can be a milky looking substance. This can be a tell tell sign of a blown head gasket. Again simple check you can do.

Number of owners, try to keep this as low as possible as it can be a sign of a hot potato getting passed around. It’s going to be hard, although, not impossible to find single owner cars that are over 7 years old.

My GX has been the best car I’ve owned from long term quality perspective. I came from a 2016 VW GTI with 30k miles, in which a wheel baring, water pump / thermostat, failed and had so many rattles that the volume needed to cracked up to ignore.

The dealer has a vested interest in selling the car as opposed to taking it to auction and will make it sound like you’re buying a brand new, perfectly working machine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom