Most comfortable AHC replacement available (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

My right and left front shocks are leaking to varying degrees. I had pretty nasty fluid so I flushed the AHC system. Everything seems to be working again and it’s definitely smoother ride now, but I have a feeling it’s getting close to that time where the decision will be whether to keep the AHC and refurbish / get new soft goods and bushings, etc. or take it all out and put in a replacement kit of some sort. This is the main kit I’ve considered as a suitable replacement:

What do you all think? I don’t really need or want the 1.5” of lift just leaning that way because bilstein makes a great shock and slee has put together a nice kit that I feel might be possibly better on road than what came from the factory 20 years ago. If you have other recommendations for a full time daily driver on road 90% of the time 10% light off roading camping etc. I’d like to hear what you think and which way you went - keep AHC / refurb as much as possible or replace it with a nice kit?

Referencing the threads recommended here are the parts received:
90948-01003 (2) Shock Cushions
90903-89016 (2) Shock Bushings
90385-19010 (2) Shock Bushings

More to come.
Glad to see the OP is refurbishing.

The comfort of AHC can’t be beat. I also really appreciate the lack of squat and dive when compared to conventional springs.

Bonus, you get 2” or so of lift when you need it and no lift when you don’t.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here (I didn't see it) but you can also replace the front and rear AHC 'shocks' as well. I had a leak for a long time from a front shock that I thought was the o-rings in the hydraulic hose, but turned out to be the shock shaft itself had worn through and was leaking fluid out that way. I've replaced all four shocks at this point, and flushed the fluid, but that's all as far as replacement parts go. I DID have to cut all four shocks out of the vehicle though. The nuts were all rust frozen onto the shocks and just would not budge.

If the leak is coming from around the top of the shock, it might be the hydraulic hose or the wear to the shock shaft as was my case. If it's coming from the bottom, it could be the seals on the shock tube or just too high a pressure as has already been mentioned.

I have 185k on my AHC globes and they still work fine, but I also have a set of impex globes in the garage waiting for when one of my originals fails.

I'm another big believer in running the AHC as long as I can.

ETA: photo of necked down AHC shock

1676403513180.png

Last edited:
I have zero regret removing AHC. To me it never rode great to begin with. I bought the truck only 8 years old with a hair over 115k on the clock. One owner with like $20,000 of service done at lexus throughout its life. The Icons ride very comfortable but I have a lot of extra weight on it. Not sure how it would ride stock weight.

As of yesterday i have the Dobinson IMS 1.5"-2" with UCA suspension and it is so damn smooth. I had 207k with no AHC on my 06 so I cant compare, but it is 100% better than the worn out OEM. I highly recommend

I just went through replacing bushings and cushions front and back along with flushing fluid. I got the bushings, cushions, orings and backer rings from partsouq, cost was about $150ish with shipping. Fluid was another $150ish off ebay. I did the work myself, took me about 6 - 8 hrs taking my time (had issues with the rear). You can buy the cushions with or without the metal plates, if I were to do it again I would pay the extra couple bucks for the metal plate attached, my were a little corroded and I couldn't get all of the old rubber off. I also replaced the orings and backers in all the fittings on top of the shocks but am not sure if it is really worth the hassle unless you have a leak at the connection.

Long story short, 8 hrs and $300ish was totally worth the improvement in the ride.

While I don’t disagree with the general gist of this thread, that for a perfectly stock vehicle, a properly maintained AHC system is hard to beat for daily driving.

I have zero regret removing AHC. To me it never rode great to begin with. I bought the truck only 8 years old with a hair over 115k on the clock. One owner with like $20,000 of service done at lexus throughout its life. The Icons ride very comfortable but I have a lot of extra weight on it. Not sure how it would ride stock weight.

As of yesterday i have the Dobinson IMS 1.5"-2" with UCA suspension and it is so damn smooth. I had 207k with no AHC on my 06 so I cant compare, but it is 100% better than the worn out OEM. I highly recommend

1676413223041.png

Sorry, while I do agree, I couldn’t resist. Although if you’re looking to save money in this process, a conversion to (a quality) conventional suspension is probably not going to save money, compared to accurately troubleshooting and repairing AHC, and the end result will be less “Swiss army knife”, and more “single purpose tool”.

Well i once attempted to maintain and keep up with my AHC and it costed me loads of money. At the recommendation of my local shop that specializes in 100 series and is a Toyota / Lexus Master Tech, he told me to go with an Icon Stage 3 suspension. I took his advice and I will be the first to say it rides almost the exact same as when my AHC was in working order. Absorbs bumps very well. Insanely comfortable.

If you decide to remove the AHC then go for Icon suspension. I absolutely love my setup.

Well i once attempted to maintain and keep up with my AHC and it costed me loads of money. At the recommendation of my local shop that specializes in 100 series and is a Toyota / Lexus Master Tech, he told me to go with an Icon Stage 3 suspension. I took his advice and I will be the first to say it rides almost the exact same as when my AHC was in working order. Absorbs bumps very well. Insanely comfortable.

If you decide to remove the AHC then go for Icon suspension. I absolutely love my setup.
I’ll dissent, by saying proper spring rates and shock valving (dependent on vehicle weight) are more important than brand. Even so, I stick by a conventional solution is single dimensional. If that fits your use case, it’s fine. If you’re looking for a “jack of all trades, master of none” AHC is hard to beat (except with the accurate troubleshooting thing).

The softness dial and lift on demand are on another level than any conventional suspension.

I’m sure there are great conventional setups, but none can do either of those things.

$20k in 8 years? I want to see these records. I have a novel of records for the tiniest nit picks on my truck and the first 8 years and 135k miles wouldn’t touch that number. 🧐

The softness dial and lift on demand are on another level than any conventional suspension.

I’m sure there are great conventional setups, but none can do either of those things.

True…

The #1 setting over speed bumps in my downtown parking garage, was butter.
The “Low” settling for loading grandma, or low clearance garages was great.
Front articulation is very good without oversized, static, torsion bars.

Although,

The High setting with limited droop was only useful in certain situations.
Over neighborhood speed humps, I seemed limited to 10-15mph, no matter the comfort setting, otherwise it seemed all hell broke loose.
Once LT tires were installed, comfort settings #1 & #2 were “off the board” except for low speed driving.
On both broken city streets, and fairly mild off-road sections, AHC seemed comfortable, but easily overwhelmed.

I personally believe that your analysis is accurate, but a bit simplistic. Kind of like saying ATRAC is better than a locker, in all situations (or vice versa).

If your vehicle is stock(ish), and it’s your DD, AHC is hard to beat. The constant height (under load), selectable damping, situational damping, and manual height on command, are all great. Maintenance of the system is reasonable, if you can do it yourself. If not, plan to be raped, or refused.

I would argue that if you’re one of the heavyweights around here, well above GVWR, running alternate torsion bars & springs, you might be pushing the limits of Toyota/Lexus engineering.

I’m also a fan of the Dobinsons IMS/MRA, I’m curious as to which torsion bars/coil springs you’re running, and what aftermarket/additional weight you’ve got?

I’m also a fan of the Dobinsons IMS/MRA, I’m curious as to which torsion bars/coil springs you’re running, and what aftermarket/additional weight you’ve got?
I went with the Dobinson bars that came in their IMS kit and standard springs. I have no additional weight. This is my daily driver running 285/75 Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Yeah I have the stage 4 icon which is the same shocks as you….literally everybody said it rides better than factory. I had a Lexus master tech install the kit and remove my AHC. He’s rode in probably 100 LX470s over the years so take it for what it’s worth. I have all poly bushings on my rear links so it’s firmer than rubber bushings. Rides more like a modern car. I’ve never once thought of missing AHC.

$20k in 8 years? I want to see these records. I have a novel of records for the tiniest nit picks on my truck and the first 8 years and 135k miles wouldn’t touch that number. 🧐
It’s a Lexus dealer lol. I’m pretty sure an oil change costs $150 at a place like that. Basically every single recommended service was done. My brother was their service writer since day one. The lady told him they’re thinking of selling it back in 2015 and I basically bought it the following day. It was never listed for sale anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom