more SM420 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did not take apart the transmission when I got it but, what prevents the imput gear on the transfer case from pulling the output shaft into the transfer case when the washer and 1/2" screw are tightened? Also what is the easiest (preferably online) place to get the toyota washer that goes between the bearings?
Thanks
Pablo

The adapter plate replcaes the rear bearing retainer...Mike Smythe, spcaeghost on these boards, makes a sweet adapter plate. His website has the toyota part number, and then you order it at your dealer. Google Mike Smythe, and you'll find his website...

Yea I use his plate and it works like a dream!! Great price as well!

So what is holding the output shaft from sliding out? The output bearing can't go in the transmission further due to the retaining ring on it's o.d. To say it another way, when tightening that SM420 "washer" (with the 1/2" fine thread bolt) over the toyota imput gear it looks like it will place a real load on the raceway of the SM420 bearing because it pushes on the inner raceway toward the engine side and it is held in place by the outer raceway (retaining ring). So it actually looks like it will pull the shaft out unless the shaft is held in place inside the transmission! Either way I don't understand how I can get that gear on without ruining bearings.
Pablo
I am still looking for that washer because I don't have a ride to the dealer.

Pablo-
I ordered the three Toyota parts listed on Pin_Heads' site from Cruiserdan over on the 80s forum. Gave me a discount, got to pay with a check (I don;t like using credit cards over internet much-bad experiences). Shoot him a PM with what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom