More Moly% grease for the Birfields?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been getting ready to repack my birfs and planed to use Valvoline SynPower moly grease. Which is 1.5% Moly per volume. Then I came across commercial Valvoline Palladium and Palladium Plus moly grease. They are 3% and 5% moly per volume, respectively. However only the Plus is a Synthetic blend but both regular and plus seem to be for some serious commercial use. So would I be smarter to use the grease with more moly or fully synthetic??

I know some may say moly is moly (grease is grease) and it won't save you from blowing out a joint. BUT I want to use ONLY Valvoline grease in my birfs and only the best they offer.

Same here.

I'm getting ready to pack mine with the same grease #986. So I guess we'll see how good it is.

Bear80 said:
I want to use ONLY Valvoline grease in my birfs and only the best they offer.

:confused: why?

Shell makes a 5% moly grease with a group IV synthetic and a non melting thickener, not saying you should use this grease but why only Valvoline?

RavenTai said:
Shell makes a 5% moly grease with a group IV synthetic and a non melting thickener, not saying you should use this grease but why only Valvoline?

Raven where would one obtain this? I have never seen it and all that has ever been available around me has been the Valvoline syn.

flintknapper said:
I'm getting ready to pack mine with the same grease #986. So I guess we'll see how good it is.

Does this grease come in a tub or in a cartridge (for grease gun)? Where are you obtaining this grease from?

Yeah, the shops around here don't even stock valvoline full syn. I'd like to know where I can get Valvoline or Shell Moly grease too.

alia176 said:
Does this grease come in a tub or in a cartridge (for grease gun)? Where are you obtaining this grease from?

It comes in a 1lb. tub (Valvoline Synpower Synthetic Grease #986) its a NLGI #2 GC-LB grease, Moly fortified. Good from -65 f. to 420 f.

Its designed for disc brake wheel bearings, U-Joints, and CV joints.
They advertise it is for all European and Japanese vehicles (if that makes any difference). I will pack my birfs. with this.

Then I'll service the wheel bearings with Valvoline "Durablend" synthetic blend grease # 279 (comes in a standard 14 oz. tube). Its moly fortified...good from -25 f. to 400 f. and is a NLGI #2 GC-LB Lithium Complex EP grease.

I have used both of these products before with very good results in vehicles that stay in mud and water during the winter months.

I like the Valvoline products because you can find them at Autozone and other part stores like it...(but not NAPA).

Also, Valvoline is the only independent oil company I know of that has their own
testing facility. Its just a good value, and a good product IMO.

flintknapper said:
Also, Valvoline is the only independent oil company I know of that has their own
testing facility. Its just a good value, and a good product IMO.

Exactly why I will only use Valvoline grease/gear oil, however I do use Mobil 1 syn. oil and atf.

BUT it is NAPA that carried the Palladium and Palladium Plus grease. They also carry the SynPower and Standard Valvoline oils but they do not carry the DuralBlend products.

-RavenTai- I may look into that Shell grease, thanks for pointing it out.

Bear80 said:
Exactly why I will only use Valvoline grease/gear oil, however I do use Mobil 1 syn. oil and atf..

Agreed, Mobil 1 gets the nod for my T-Case, Front and Rear Diffs. but I use Mercron III ATF for the tranny and just change it regularly.

reffug said:
Raven where would one obtain this? I have never seen it and all that has ever been available around me has been the Valvoline syn.

its AeroShell 17, I got it at a local lubrication distributer. before you look for it read this.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47150

And sorry I misstated earlier its group V (ester like Redline) not group IV (PAO like Mobil 1/Amsoil)

Raven...

Reading over that .pdf in that older thread got me thinking:

1. You use the AeroShell 17 in the knuckle housing...correct?

2. For the wheel bearings, do you use the AeroShell 33 (which seems to have a Lithium Complex)?

Thanks.
-onur
Akron,OH

Yes I am using AeroShell 17 in the knuckles/birfs, I am still waiting to see if the seals will like it long term. I use MobilGrease 28 in the wheel bearings,

Aeroshell 33 is fairly new, It replaced Aeroshell 7 witch used to be our general airframe lube, 33 may very well work as a wheel bearing grease thow I have not seen it used in high temp aplications, we still use 28 in our wheel bearings even after switching most everything else to 33, 28 was invented specifically for aircraft wheel bearings in the 60's to handle extremes of temperature from deep negatives to hundreds of degrees.

I also got my Palladium and Synpower at Napa (in Tomball, TX).

Thanks for the reply Raven.

A couple more questions--sorry:

1. Are you planning on going into the knuckle earlier than the stated interval to check out the wear with the AeroShell?

2. Would the AeroShell 28 work well in the wheel bearings we deal with? Also, the trunions?

Also, where do we find these greases? Aircraft supply stores?

Thanks again.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

beno said:
Thanks for the reply Raven.

A couple more questions--sorry:

1. Are you planning on going into the knuckle earlier than the stated interval to check out the wear with the AeroShell?

2. Would the AeroShell 28 work well in the wheel bearings we deal with? Also, the trunions?

Also, where do we find these greases? Aircraft supply stores?

Thanks again.
Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

1. I am confident that that AeroShell 17 will protect the steel parts in the knuckle. What I don’t know is how the seals will like it, most importantly the inner axle seal. I plan to run it for as long as possible until the seals blow and I get grease in my gear oil or gear oil in my grease.

The trunion bearings being in the knuckle cavity get the same grease as the birfs.

2. This one is MobilGrease 28 not Aeroshell. It is a NLGI # 1.5 where the book calls for NLGI #2 less sure on this one but so far so good. The NLGI #'s shows the Mobil 28 is a little thinner, but it should not thin as much when warm so might be about the same at operating temp.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...NLGI_Grade+NLGI++grade&hl=en&client=firefox-a

The bearings it was designed for are very similar tapered roller bearings, they are just larger, more heavily loaded, higher speed and exposed too much wider temperature extremes.

Aircraft supply store like Aircraft Spruce will stock both but about twice what you can get them for elsewhaer. I got both at a commercial lubrication distributor, Get the phone book and call around one of them was more expensive than the other cant remember witch now, but still in the range of syn grease at a parts store. I am using both of these at my own risk because I think they are good greases but the question remains how compatible they will be in this situation, it is still early yet.

long term I had good success with Aeroshell 17 in my birfs to 260K miles when my 80 met an untimely end, unfortunately i don't think it is made anymore.

Aeroshell 33 came out about ten years ago and replaced many other types making my job easier, but the stuff smells awful, 33MS with the moly additive would be correct for the birf and should work but i don't have any experience in automotive use.

Holy thread resurrection scoop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom