Moisture inside of a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I seem to remember that some time ago someone stated that the inside of a 60 was very prone to a higher than normal moisture situation. Also someone said that the reason that the roof sometimes rusts is the interior. Is that true that the 60's do have a higher than normal moisture numbers? If so why is that ? How does one take care of the problem?

Zack

I can verify it. Mine has had vapor lock all winter. Also seems like the heater /defroster doesn't kick out enough heat to adequately dry out the interior. We need FJ40 kick vents. ;)

Last edited:
"moisture" ? ? ?
Foggy windows or water sloshing on driver's floor after a rainstorm ?

Foggy windows "could" be a very small weep of coolant from heater core.

Slosh on floor is most likely rain-gutter leask where gutter meets "A" pillar.

Foggy windows can be helped by turning the vent to take in fresh air from outside instead of from the cab when you have the heater on.

oldman said:
???????? I have no idea what you mean by this.

Not to be confused with Vapor lock in the fuel system.

Vapor lock in the cab of your vehicle. If there is too much moisture in the cab then the windows will fog almost immediately every time you get it.

Open the fresh air vent to let in outside air, this cured the foggy windows in my 60.
Jonathan

The BEST way to dehumidify is run the heat AND the A/C at the same time. You get dry warm air which sucks up moisture nicely!

I believe the rubber seals seal so well it locks in moisture laden air after its rained.
When the sun comes out and warms the car the moisture rises to the inside of the roof and condenses keeping ther roof damp and causing rust.

I can feel the moist air when I get in my 73 series but lucky I have a FRP top:D

Open all the windows and go for a drive when its not raining.

I dont believe this is common to just 60 series as it also rust out the metal roofs in the 70SWB,75 cab chassis and troopy.

I get water on my driver side floormat after a rain. Could someone go into more detail about the cause of this problem?

Thanks

another line said:
I get water on my driver side floormat after a rain. Could someone go into more detail about the cause of this problem?

Thanks

Places to look:
1) reseal the windshield gasket - they will leak like a sieve in the lower corners if not sealed and seated properly
2) rain gutter caulking - if cracked and/or missing it can cause leaks in interior
3) worn out door seals
4) worn out window sweeps
5) plugged drain holes in doors/body

BTDT, and all of the above were in need of attention on our truck to solve a similar problem.

HTH,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

rear louver vent check

Check and see if your weather seals are intact on the vent run behind the rear vent louvers too. Water can possibly seep there too and into your rear quarter panels. There's a rubber drain plug just behind the rear wheels if you want to check for water there. Also the vent runs have a little flapper up top. Mine actually were dry rotted and no longer functioning - I think they're for dust and a condensation trap. I think I'm going to cut piece of inner tube and use a hefty stapler to attach.

Also, the carpeting has a laminated backing that's great for repelling moisture but if you've got small tears and rips, water can infiltrate and get into the underlying felt. The laminate doesn't let the water evap out that easily. That happened to my rear cargo area and it took forever to dry out.

If I get my interior really wet from playing in the water or the rain, I throw a bucket of Damp-Rid from home depot in the cab. It's sucks most of bulk moisture and keeps any funk from starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom