Modify Badlands Fairlead? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new Badlands (Harbor Frieght) 12k winch with spacers. However, when I mounted the fairlead I found that it's not centered. It's too low. The cable would rub against the lower edge of the ARB opening instead of riding the lower fairlead roller.

Has anyone modified these fairleads to get them to be centered? I'd rather modify this than get a new one. If so, how do you modify it? I don't have a drill press, just a handheld drill.

Thanks,

pics

Sorry for the pic at night, I can retake it tomorrow if it isn't clear

20181202_205034.jpg

Don’t have an ARB, but why not just get a cut off wheel and take the 1/4 inch of metal out and bolt it back up?

Would a Dremel be strong enough to do that?

If you bought your bumper new, the hardware kit should have 2 large bolts/nuts that replace the pins holding the vertical rollers on the fairlead. The bolts also go through the gusset on the bumper above the fairlead. Once the fairlead is held in place by those bolts you can mark and drill the bumper, or mark and drill the fairlead. The bumper was made for a warn(sorry I can’t remember the p/n), and it will bolt right up. I don’t think it was that expensive...

Last edited:
Doubt you would want to try and cut the bumper steel with a dremel, sounds like a PITA.

Looks like drilling some new mounting holes on the fairlead lower than the current ones will solve your problem, should move the entire unit up enough. I doubt you would need a press for that, its probably pretty thin, just make sure your drill bits are new/sharp.

Some other posts I found while searching said it was a Warn 5742. The cheapest I found them for was $115..

2A0B9E3E-871D-4378-AE01-548D7448BC42.png

The purpose of the bolts going through the gusset is to spread the load across the bumper when side loading the fairlead...

Doubt you would want to try and cut the bumper steel with a dremel, sounds like a PITA.

Looks like drilling some new mounting holes on the fairlead lower than the current ones will solve your problem, should move the entire unit up enough. I doubt you would need a press for that, its probably pretty thin, just make sure your drill bits are new/sharp.

I think I'll try drilling the fairlead tomorrow, looks like that's my best option. Thanks !

If you bought your bumper new, the hardware kit should have 2 large bolts/nuts that replace the pins holding the vertical rollers on the fairlead.

I didn't buy it new but I'm sure I can pick up some good hardware locally. Anyone have any idea what size the bolts are?

Get a HF grinder, $20 and some grinding wheels $10, 10 minutes of grinding and youre good to go. Seems like a pain to drill new mount holes vs the grind method.

How was the install of the winch? Im looking to get one of those cheapo 12k badlands too.

Get a HF grinder, $20 and some grinding wheels $10, 10 minutes of grinding and youre good to go. Seems like a pain to drill new mount holes vs the grind method.

Do this if you want an improperly supported hack job fairlead install...

How so? Isnt his issue the cable is impacting the lower edge if the fairlead hole? What would trimming steel off that lower lip to match up with the badlands?

Don't cut the bumper. Move the fairlead up. Replace the pins for the vertical rollers with bolts that will go through the bumper gusseted fairlead holes and drill two new holes in the fairlead for the other mount. I had to do the same thing for my Smittybilt winch fairlead. I'll try to snap a picture tonight if you need one. Easy / cheap mod.

Last edited:
Wrong fairlead for that bumper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom