Modified Garage Door for new vehicle lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just putting this out there for people who may be contemplating a vehicle lift and may have to modify their standard door lift.

The standard garage door looks something this. As you can see the door trolley and lift motor need to be raised.
standard.JPG

In my case (on the other bay where the lift was installed) I recessed the trolley track into the ceiling to maximize the lift height. I left the door track where it was and extended the lifting arm using perforated angle. Two things to note are that the lift trolley must be moved back to maintain the proper angle of the lift arm and recessing into the ceiling can only be done if the ceiling joists run in the same direction. The trolly was boxed in with plywood and plastic edging added to clean things up a bit.
recess 3.JPG

Two problems with this is that you cannot have the door open when their is a car on the lift and extending the lift arm meant I lost about 6-8" of door opening height which limits what you can get in the bay. Also note that by sheer dumb luck I was able to remount the lift motor above and just behind the equalizer cable tray. I did have to remove the light on the motot to make it work.
recess 1.JPG

This all worked but with nice weather I wanted the door open while working on a truck and I wanted to reclaim the full opening height of the door. In my case I have 10.5 in ceilings, an 8ft high door and have installed an old-style 7000lb Rotary brand hydraulic lift I picked up at a divorce clearance price.

So this is how I modified the existing track... (a construction laser helps with alightment)
hi-lift 1.JPG

Basically I removed all the track above the 90 degree bend. cut the 90 bend into 2-45s, removed 34" of horizontal track and put it into the 45 deg section, joined together all the new track sections with suitable hardware and reinstalled. If you do the math 34" at 45deg adds 24" of vertical height. The existing lift spring can also remain in place.

hi-lift 2.JPG

A couple things to note:
- A little trigonometry comes in handy to design the new track before cutting.
- I forgot about the recessed trolley and it's going to tight for the door to open
- check if there is handle on the outside of the door to be accounted for
- this may require adjusting the spring tension to account for the added lift but I haven't figured out how to do that safely - will call a technician for that

Regards and be interested to see pics or threads of similiar/alternative solutions.

A few afterthoughts
- track alignment was tricky
- motor pull had to be increased
- travel and resets were needed
All simple s***, just ideas for ppl adding a lift
IMG_9803.JPG
IMG_9805.JPG
IMG_9806.JPG
IMG_9807.JPG

Looks like u got it figured out !
It's nice to be able to have the door open with a vehicle on the lift. So mission accomplished. Just throwing my solution out there for other MUD users in the same predicament.

Why not just get wall mounted openers? Not greatest photo but only one in my phone at moment

View attachment 2723137
Exactly what I was thinking. Large arc tracks and sidewinder Liftmaster openers, I have at least 10' of clearance when the door is open. I just had these installed in April and I love them. Very quiet, fast. And I can check on them and remotely open/close with my phone. They weren't really that expensive.
PXL_20210825_000752541.NIGHT.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. Large arc tracks and sidewinder Liftmaster openers, I have at least 10' of clearance when the door is open. I just had these installed in April and I love them. Very quiet, fast. And I can check on them and remotely open/close with my phone. They weren't really that expensive.View attachment 2768484
100%. They are faster and more quiet than my regular opener in middle bay. If doing a vehicle lift to park an extra vehicle that you don’t use that often you can spare couple hundred more to give yourself another foot or two in space by mounting wall opener. Not trying to flame but I need all the room I can get so if it means I can park that car above or I can’t I’m spending an extra $3-400.

You’ve actually got some room to go higher. My tracks go inches from the ceiling.

I have 2 lift masters mounted to wall they are great 1 if for the 2 door garage other is for the 1 door and yes they are quiet . 12 ft ceelings I plan on putting the lift in the far 1 bay garage

Last edited:
Liftmasters were definately an option I considered. For an existing installation you need to raise the torsion bar, extend the vertical track, install new lift motors and power supplies, add track supports. Great stuff, really and the way it should be done. I just said hey why can't I just cut up what I have and make that work? I think I spent about $40 for a bit of hardware. But I'll admit it was still a PIA.

Liftmasters were definately an option I considered. For an existing installation you need to raise the torsion bar, extend the vertical track, install new lift motors and power supplies, add track supports. Great stuff, really and the way it should be done. I just said hey why can't I just cut up what I have and make that work? I think I spent about $40 for a bit of hardware. But I'll admit it was still a PIA.
Not saying ur mod is bad .. just sayin what I did

Not saying ur mod is bad .. just sayin what I did
I also bought insulated doors as I have heated an cooled garage with intercom.where I can page for a cold drink lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom