MOAB 2018!!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Sputnick and MMCINNIS. its Jeff i have not read through all the details but would love to come out and see you guys again . will be in a semi built FJ cruiser . i will be coming from Oregon . let me know if i need to do anything .

Last edited:
Hey Sputnick and MMCINNIS. its Jeff i have not read through all the details but would love to come out and see you guys again . will be in a semi built FJ cruiser . i will be coming from Oregon . let me know if i need to do anything .
That would be great! I just did a solo trip thru kane creek and lockhart basin basin last week. Go check out my pics on the 70 series what did you do with your truck today. Lots of pics. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Mike

Mike that looks like a really fun trip . do you still have your blue FJ ? well i should say blue FJC . i am sure you still have your 40 .

Jeff (Firemedict831) - glad you found the post. Everyone meet Jeff - he's a former Florida club member living out west. He used to own a playboy bunny themed zebra stripe 4-runner, but now lives out west and has a new FJ Cruiser that I'm hoping he'll have modified in time to be part of the moderate group.

Now if I can just get Mike (MMCinnis) to understand dates for 2018 are for mid/end of September AND we want you to join the hardcore group with your FJ40 (not the moderate group with whatever other Cruiser you still have stashed out west).

In other news - I've scored a new hood (so I don't have to pull down the mint spare from the loft) but am still on the hunt for an affordable price on 14" ORI's.....

We are planning our annual family trip out west. Looks like june/july. May drag my 40 out there then and stage it at proffitts? Western slope, co. What i cant run the 200 series on 35's? Hahaha. I can make this trip my annual guys trip out west!:steer:

Awsome ! Look forward to seeing you guys again . This will be a great trip .

am still on the hunt for an affordable price on 14" ORI's.....

this statement is a contradictory of terms, either you get affordable or you get ORIs but not both.:moon:

good to see a crowd gathering, seems this year's attempt has a lot more validity to it than 2017s. Now, if we can just hold it together...

Day 1 of FJ. Let's see what she looks like in Sept

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4880.JPG

I obviously have little knowledge about the ORIs, and will just run the waggy springs and new shocks, or coils with the 4 link if need be. Just tired of the loading I get on steep agressive climbs.....

this statement is a contradictory of terms, either you get affordable or you get ORIs but not both.:moon:

good to see a crowd gathering, seems this year's attempt has a lot more validity to it than 2017s. Now, if we can just hold it together...

"Loading"???

Primary reason I'm linking my rig:
- Going through too many parts (bending leaves, breaking leaves, shearing pins, blowing out bushings, bending shackles, etc)
Primary reason I'm going with ORI's when linking:
- Cure the instability on side hills & off-camber situations

I may have a guy that will tow 3 trucks out. 500 each 1 way. From Mobile, Al. Can leave our personal trucks and trailers at his house in Mobile. Just an idea. Let me know if theres interest. Mike

"Loading" probably isn't the right term, but it's the easiest way to summarize the combination of squat, stress on spring packs, etc. etc. that happens when I've got the 40 standing on it's tippy toes....if that makes sense.

Have worn out bushings and broken pinions, springs, spring pins, etc. etc. Have resolved those issues through sourcing higher quality spring pins (checking them religiously), adding leaves with stronger spring pack wraps (and keeping them wrapped), replacing bushings more frequently, etc. AND knowing when to back off (which is a big negative).

I "want" the ORI's but in addition to cost, need to spend some more time understanding the maintenance/expense of being able to tune them.

As to side hill stability - just watching Mike in his linked 40 with coils/air shocks is enough to tell me there's no way I'd go that route. His "buggy" just leans all sorts of sideways and he mostly just gasses it to stay out of a roll (sometimes unsuccessfully). While I'm ok with flopping on many trails in the East, that's almost never an option out West (understand there aren't as many trees to break your fall ;).

Someone point me to the ORI beginner's thread!

"Loading"???

Primary reason I'm linking my rig:
- Going through too many parts (bending leaves, breaking leaves, shearing pins, blowing out bushings, bending shackles, etc)
Primary reason I'm going with ORI's when linking:
- Cure the instability on side hills & off-camber situations

Bill, the bottom line is this: The more flexy your suspension becomes, the more "floppy" your rig will be [without outside help]. With anything other than ORI's, some sort of anti-sway apparatus will be needed (as well as limiting straps and bump stops, which are also not required with ORI's). Upper mounting points are also a big factor in stability. A linked suspension with proper link geometry and proper suspension setup will be exponentially more stable on side hills than a leaf-sprung rig.
A cheaper and faster way than ORI's is to go with air shocks and have front and rear suck-down winches. Still not as good as ORI's IMO, but a way to do it on a slightly lower budget.

@Sputnik40

Fully understand the multi-purpose value of struts - versus the costs of coilovers (or coils and airshocks) + airbumps + anti-rock + suck down winches, etc. etc.

Just haven't read up what's needed $$$ to be able to tune/play with them.

My bad. Thought you were still in the early stages of research.

All you need is the nitrogen tank and the regulator with fill hoses. I recommend the dual fill setup. I think you can get it all for 200-400 depending on tank size and new or used.

Great video - but definitely missing the east coast elements that help mitigate rollovers.

Re-affirmed I have coverage for trip (and maybe even a back up plan), but am woefully behind on much needed mods (do hope to order struts this month though).

Ordered a pair of 16" ORI's and the dual fill. Have major plans but no time to implement - with another boy due in March, and a re-org/promotion at work, I'll have to miss GSMTR - which means I shouldn't have any excuses to be ready for September....

Ordered a pair of 16" ORI's and the dual fill. Have major plans but no time to implement - with another boy due in March, and a re-org/promotion at work, I'll have to miss GSMTR - which means I shouldn't have any excuses to be ready for September....

well look at frosty go. congrats all many accounts.

Missing GSTMR sucks but also means that Sand Hollow will be the shakedown run for an entire new suspension, remember Steve's shakedown? :flipoff2: I'll bring my welder this year!

Do not want to pull (pun) a Steve - suspension will definitely be done and tested, but the purty resurrection build to replace the cowl and tub panels may have to wait.

Narrowing down the design - and found this for inspiration (acknowledging I'm about 10 years behind most other folks when it comes to linking).

well look at frosty go. congrats all many accounts.

Missing GSTMR sucks but also means that Sand Hollow will be the shakedown run for an entire new suspension, remember Steve's shakedown? :flipoff2: I'll bring my welder this year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom