MOAB 2018!!! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ I'll blame that on the tent.:beer:

Talked to Woody at SCC about Sand Hollow. The last two weeks in September are good for him, if you decide to go in October you will need to be out a few days before trail hero ( I have already reserved an RV space for SCC).Also talk to him about the trails and as this a rare area where there is no designated trail requirement and the area is fairly open most of the trails can be ridden by groups with varied capabilities.

Talked to Woody at SCC about Sand Hollow. The last two weeks in September are good for him, if you decide to go in October you will need to be out a few days before trail hero ( I have already reserved an RV space for SCC).Also talk to him about the trails and as this a rare area where there is no designated trail requirement and the area is fairly open most of the trails can be ridden by groups with varied capabilities.

So the big take-away from this post is that you, and therefore your trailer, are ONLY available for the earlier (Sept) dates?
(What are the SCC dates for next year; same as Trail Hero: Oct 10-13ish?)

Personally, I would really like to go to Trail Hero. Partly to see the Trail Breaker event but also to participate in the "Hero For A Day" Veteran's / Wounded Warriors type run. I do really want to go to SCC as well, but even though I haven't been in a few years now, making it back to Trail Hero is much less likely than making it back to SCC, which is certain. That's even more true for all the east coasters.

SCC dates are 10-13, 2018.
Basing out of Woody's is not available during Trail Hero. Not sure about others, but I want to go to Moab to wheel and see the country, not watch a race.

SCC dates are 10-13, 2018.
Okay, so same as Trail Hero. That was my guess.
Basing out of Woody's is not available during Trail Hero.
I didn't even remember that as an option, so I hadn't planned on that anyway. We'd have to be able to drive the trail rigs there every night I think cause loading up every night and off again in the morning would not be fun.
Not sure about others, but I want to go to Moab to wheel and see the country, not watch a race.
I totally agree. The Trail Hero event is all about trail riding, which I would be doing 90% of the 2-4 days there. The Trail Breaker event is only a few hours (half day maybe) of one day. No reason that a trail ride can't happen during that time; just might not include some of the hard core guys. And that could even be a good thing for those that want to hit milder stuff.

Just to be sure I'll check again:
Roger, you ARE going to SCC, therefore are not available to go during the October dates, right? So if the majority still somehow votes on the later dates for the trip, they'll be on their own for getting their rigs out there.

Going to put it out there for us Canadians to try and make it down for some fun as well. Really need to get my ass in gear and get my truck together.
FB_IMG_1508257649695.jpg

Okay, so same as Trail Hero. That was my guess.

I didn't even remember that as an option, so I hadn't planned on that anyway. We'd have to be able to drive the trail rigs there every night I think cause loading up every night and off again in the morning would not be fun.

Woody lives few minutes drive from trail head but we would have to be out the weekend before Trail Hreo. Of note he has a shop with a lift.

I totally agree. The Trail Hero event is all about trail riding, which I would be doing 90% of the 2-4 days there. The Trail Breaker event is only a few hours (half day maybe) of one day. No reason that a trail ride can't happen during that time; just might not include some of the hard core guys. And that could even be a good thing for those that want to hit milder stuff.

How large of crowd does Trail Hero draw?
The original plan as I understood was to go to there first see how much we wanted to ride there then go to Moab but Trail Hero is in the end of proposed dates?

Just to be sure I'll check again:
Roger, you ARE going to SCC, therefore are not available to go during the October dates, right? So if the majority still somehow votes on the later dates for the trip, they'll be on their own for getting their rigs out there.

I would really prefer to do both. The idea of stopping st SCC on way back has may issues, person/persons riding with me may not have time and with the larger crowd (170 this year) maneuvering the 4 car and parking it will be a large issue.

I did something wrong, my comments above are in the quote box.

Well I don't think it'll help a whole lot in the "big picture", but the dates for Trail Hero have changed which will allow more leeway with people making it to SCC. Just as you said though Roger, it may not help a lot since SCC would just end up being a stop on the way home. But it still alleviates SOME of the obstacles at least, and that's a start.

I would think that being able to hit SCC on the way back would be desirable for you Roger except that you won't have the camper. The big trailer shouldn't be a major issue since you'd be getting there so early. I doubt you'll have many or any others [with rigs on the trailer] that will be able to take the extra time off to wheel SCC though. I REALLY want to make it to SCC too, but I have a feeling that if I'm able to come at all after having two weeks off, it may only be for the weekend.

Last edited:
3 Days ago Woody told me Trail Hero dates were the same as SCC. Have you heard a recent change ?
Also SCC has really grown, we got there Wednesday and the big parking lot was full and and people were having difficulty finding spaces to leave their 16 ft trailers.
I hope to again have a co driver for Moab and it is very likely he will not have time off to do SCC on way home.

Last edited:

From the TH FB page:
Save the Date! October 3-6, 2018... I know we just finished but I also know many of you can't wait to come back! We will be releasing a full event itinerary in the coming weeks, until then make sure you spread the word to all your friends and family about celebrating freedom out on the rocks with us and the Rock Sports Lifestyle!

From Woody a few hours ago (quoted from another TH source):
"We will release more info as we move forward but we were granted the ability to move to the third through the sixth due to other events in the off-road industry the new dates posted reflect this change. Sorry for the inconvenience"

Last edited:
Last edited:
I've now read this "Page 2" half a dozen times and can't find any hard decisions having been made, only a back and forth of thoughts, ideas and wishes.

Unless I'm missing something I'm pretty sure we're zeroing in on the 9/15-9/30 dates short something unforeseen. That said I'll just to kick the can around a few more times for fun.

@4xsteve , are you trying to hit all 3 events? Moab 2018, Trail Hero and SCC? That would be impressive. Guess I should become a Seaman. :flipoff2:

Maybe you guys do but I dont see a solution that accomplishes the goals of hitting Trail Hero and getting Roger +3 (Co-Driver and trailer riders) out of dodge by 9/30 for personal issues, work schedules, etc...

One possibility (I suppose): Go to Moab first then go to Sand Hollow retaining the dates of 9/15 to 9/30. This gets Roger (and company) home a solid week to 10 days before SCC but also puts Steve in SH on Oct 1 (just 2 days before Trail Hero.) This could actually be pretty cool as I suspect a lot of those guys will be out there doing prep runs the wkend of 9/28-30 ahead of the TH event.

Steve, I guess you could also bump your arrival time back one week behind the rest of the group and extend it beyond the group by 1 week if TH is that important but this comes with it's own version of the suck! Yeah, I recognize this would force you to make some decisions but nuthin I can do.

The other option is to Kill off "Moab 2018" and everyone do exactly what we did in 2017, sit around pissing and moaning about how we didn't go. FARK That!!

Meant for this to be a little more diplomatic but I'm tired of re-writing the post. You guys are my friends and this is supposed to be fun. We'll figure it out.

Ted
Your dates are really good for me, there is some flexibility if needed for others. Going to Sand Hollow last has a couple issues. If we want to base out of Woody's we can't be st his place the weekend before TH and Sand Hollow is an unknown for most of us, if we go there first we can decided how many days to ride there after seeing the area.

Soonest I can make it there will be late on the 28th. Might be able to catch you guys for a couple days and then make my own adventure with some other guys.

This may clinch it for us whether we do Sand Hollow first or last. About the only option will be Woody's as base camp which obviously forces our hand.

Camping at Sand Hollow State Park, UT

EDIT: Upon further review the below might be a little misleading. If so, we'd better set a calendar event to call the morning they do become available.

EDIT #1
Screenshot-2017-10-20 Sand Hollow State Park, UT(1).png

EDIT #2 FYI-- 4 group sites available now
Screenshot-2017-10-20 Sand Hollow State Park, UT(2).png

Screenshot-2017-10-20 Sand Hollow State Park, UT.png

Last edited:
Hey @4xsteve , we may not have to go all the way to Grand Juncton to find a "21 Road" type trail. Below is a newly opened trail in Moab called Rear Steer, previous name was "Big Balls". :wtf: this is the big boy stuff that may be worth checking out.

directions below, it's close enough to Grandpa's we can trail rig to it.

Traveling past BFE, the road turns and goes up steeply to a mesa. Continue until you see the road branch and stay left. (You will start seeing the signs now). You'll come to the trail exit first and then on, following the signs, towards the entrance.

Last edited:
Hey @4xsteve , we may not have to go all the way to Grand Juncton to find a "21 Road" type trail. Below is a newly opened trail in Moab called Rear Steer, previous name was "Big Balls". :wtf: this is the big boy stuff that may be worth checking out.

directions below, it's close enough to Grandpa's we can trail rig to it.

Traveling past BFE, the road turns and goes up steeply to a mesa. Continue until you see the road branch and stay left. (You will start seeing the signs now). You'll come to the trail exit first and then on, following the signs, towards the entrance.

Holy crap! Since it's close, I'm all for checking it out, but that looks like the obstacles of 21Rd combined with the steepness of Black Flag. I don't think we'll make it through that.

**Edit** - Just got done with an hour of research and I have come to a couple of conclusions:
1) Although we COULD drive there, probably worth the time just to trailer down due to the distance (31 minutes via Hwy191, so 60-90 minutes via back roads and dirt) and for conclusion #2.
2) I think our Toyota axles aren't going to hold up on that trail....among other parts.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think since we're pushing for a stay at Sand Hollow, we probably won't have time for Grand Junction anyway. Probably best to table that side trip and just see if there's time after we get there.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say it, I think since we're pushing for a stay at Sand Hollow, we probably won't have time for Grand Junction anyway. Probably best to table that side trip and just see if there's time after we get there.

I didn't want to be the one to say it but I came to the same conclusion when the Sand Hollow discussion came up. I think a more than fair trade though.

I think our Toyota axles aren't going to hold up on that trail....among other parts.

Probably but can make that call when we actually lay eyes on it. I'm not going all the way out there just to break but this is far more accessible than Pritchett Canyon in the event of breakage and thus I'd be more willing to take a few more chances than before.

That said, I'd like to spend a couple days at least wheeling BFE, seems I barely touched it last time (truck repairs) and we missed a lot of the best parts. I do not want to make that mistake again.

Although we COULD drive there, probably worth the time just to trailer down due to the distance (31 minutes via Hwy191, so 60-90 minutes via back roads and dirt) and for conclusion #2.

Trailer is always preferred over black top for me even if it does mean a little extra hassle so you'll get no argument here.

In fact, it's a little over 11 miles from Grandpa's mailbox to BFE gate. I'm sure you remember the "roads" (more like goat trails) we took to and from BFE, Between the Rocks and the end of Pritchett,

Unbelievably Google maps actually recognizes it as an option, obviously they have never laid eyes on those "roads".

Google Maps

Screenshot-2017-10-23 4061 Thurman Ct.png

Last edited:

Trail rigging from Woody's is not an option for many of us, it's 15-20 miles from Woody's to Sand Hollow. Not only is the distance an issue but the bigger problem is that we would be forced to traverse "Barret Pkwy" for a lot of it which then changes over to highway just outside of town.

Screenshot-2017-10-25 Toquerville.png

Screenshot-2017-10-25 Toquerville(1).png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom