Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'GA- Georgia Cruisers' started by BGarcia88FJ62, Aug 15, 2017.
I'm still in for October 2018!!!!!
IN!!!!! Gonna be LOTS of moving parts to this one.
Technically still in - sold off a uber rare NOS FST door and some other bits to get a jump start on my travel expense account....I will however, likely miss GSMTR for other reasons.
Is this an annual trip? Should I read the details of this year's trip to get my answers (how long is the trip, where are we staying, events etc)?
a few friends an I are planning a trip next year and I knew we couldn't make this year's trip with y'all so maybe this one.....
No, not annual. Got planned for 2017 but that fell apart and got pushed back to 2018 instead.
I'd vote for the same time frame as always: First two weeks in October. This would be Oct 1-13.
in all fairness planning for these trips is becoming an annual event though the trip is not, boo. In any case, 14 months out and really no clue who is going, how we're going to get there or what we're going to do.
I do know this from lessons learned, for this to be successful ride we need 2 groups of rigs.
1) a wagon group that wants to do some of the more scenic trails.
2) a hardcore group that's s a little more interest in doing the things you see on YouTube.
These groups ought to be made up of guys (or gals) that know each other, know how to wheel and that have confidence in one another. Moab can get remote pretty easily. With that said, if you are truly (and I do mean truly) interested in going put forth the effort now to go on trail rides and get know each other.
Can someone put me in touch with the guy "Merlin" with the linked 40 on ORI's? Briefly spoke with him at GSTMR and he offered to provide me with the contact info. for the shop that did his link conversion. Still don't think I can afford to "pay" someone work on my junk, but would like to at least follow up and see what it would cost me.
It's a time/space versus money thing - don't have enough of either and really think I need this upgrade to safely spend two weeks at Moab.
This is Sid's, isn't it?
Hmmmm, yeah - maybe the name was Sidney, not sure where I got to thinking it was Merlin.
have to see how things play out and what's going on: moderate group, OCT time period.
We're still on Grandpa's list of attendees. I think I'll call him and let him know not to hold his breath for a big group.
Let's start throwing out ideas. Like Ted mentioned, gonna be a lot of logistics.
Being that I'll be coming in the same way, from east to west, as most people are, I'm thinking maybe plan for Sand Hollow and Trail Hero as the first stop for a few days prior to Moab rather than trying to make it a side trip. Then maybe depart Moab and spend a few days in Colorado on the way back. Two days in Grand Junction and a day around Buena Vista for Carnage Canyon. Carnage Canyon looks to be shorter and at least as rough as 21 Road.
Sand Hollow and Moab both sound great, Junction not so much first not the kind of wheeling I want to do and I am not going to do l-70.
Next topic The when , l am thinking last 2 weeks in September.
So I'm good with any of that including the date range but I usually have a little more flexibility than most of you so figure it out and let me know. Sand Hollow is looking better and better but think we need to set allowances for both SH and Moab. I suspect SH will keep the hardcore group busy for as long as we want but the wagon guys might start to get bored after a few days, I dunno just thinking out loud.
Would like to hear from @Sputnik40, @FL cruiser and Dennis on the matter since they are also very gung-ho on this years trip. I think they are primed for October but I'm sure with enough notice that can change.
Here's my off-the-top-of-my-head thought process, spend 4 to 5 days at SH - don't need major carnage early in the trip and the more time we spend there the more likely someone will have a major issue. Then, caravan to Moab for the remainder of the trip whatever that is.
Looking at the calendar below theoretical dates could be 9/15 to 9/30. (Remember, a few of these guys are coming from central/south Florida so they have 2 more full days of travel to factor in.)
Actual tires moving :Wheeling time":
Sand Hollow: 9/16 to 9/20
Moab: 9/22 to 9/29
I should be good with most dates in that range, just need to know sooner than later, so I can put in for the time out. Next year will be wonky as I'll be out for 6 weeks starting around March when son #3 arrives).
I like the Sand Hollow idea - before or after, makes no difference, will rely on those who know best. As mentioned, Florida folks will likely drive out, so won't have a full 14 days to wheel....
Interested, last year did Moab with a small group of Fla guys. Was in the troopy, did most of the trails with no problem. Dodged the nasty bowls. Im headed out again this year with a couple guys. Nov. 10. Mike
Anyone is welcome to join in. But I'm a little confused by your post. You said you are interested in joining for our trip, which will be late September or early October, but also said you're planning to go in early November. I can't imagine anyone driving from Florida to Utah twice in two months....especially in a Cruiser.
Mike owns several Cruisers but has neglected his trail rig for several years now. He needs to be convinced to skip the expedition stuff for a year and join us on the dates that get picked. He also runs 39" Red Labels and is fearless....would be a good fit to the hard core group.
Yeah what Bill said. Haha. We will have a good time even ir im in my troopy. Last year in Moab.