Missing spare tire tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had this truck over a year and recently put new wheels on it. When I went to change the spare tire, I realized the PO decided he didn't need the entire kit. I'm missing the all important hook and one of the straight pieces. This looks very familiar to my 2nd or 3rd gen 4Runner kit (no longer have either).

If I were a fabricator, I'd make one if I had an example, but I'm not a fab. Any suggestions on finding one, or a similar one from a junk yard. Thanks.
spare tire tool.JPG

I bought mine from Scott Clark Toyota, wasn't that much dough, less than $10 as I remember. And just in time too, since the first time I went out with the club, blew a bead and Rafael jumped in and changed the tire before it completely deflated.

I bought a complete kit with a jack from a salvage yard for $100. Came out of a 2006 Tundra.

I bought mine from Scott Clark Toyota, wasn't that much dough, less than $10 as I remember. And just in time too, since the first time I went out with the club, blew a bead and Rafael jumped in and changed the tire before it completely deflated.
Thanks Izzy, I wish you would have bought 2 while you were at it. The local dealer quoted me a list price of $25 each for the straight pieces and $27 for the jack hook. How many beers did you owe @Roxx ?
I bought a complete kit with a jack from a salvage yard for $100. Came out of a 2006 Tundra.
I suspected they were universal for Toyota trucks, but the part guy at the dealer told me the hook (just the hook, not the extension) is only for the '91-'97 LC. So the '06 Tundra tool works fine? If so, that's a big help.

Thanks Izzy, I wish you would have bought 2 while you were at it. The local dealer quoted me a list price of $25 each for the straight pieces and $27 for the jack hook. How many beers did you owe @Roxx ?
I suspected they were universal for Toyota trucks, but the part guy at the dealer told me the hook (just the hook, not the extension) is only for the '91-'97 LC. So the '06 Tundra tool works fine? If so, that's a big help.

Correction:
I got it from Carney Auto Parts (Ebay) from a 2001 Toyota Tundra. Total cost w/ shipping was $108. It was a complete tool kit with jack. It was literally brand new and had never been used. I researched the parts on one of the Toyota parts sites and gathered the dimensions and discovered that most were the same. I did find that the interconnecting parts varied from year to year, and the ones for cars were too short. So I looked a the Tundras and they looked like a good fit and had comparable sized tires. I have used it quite a few times and am very happy with it. The Tundra jack actually goes about 4" more than m factory LC jack, so bonus there for larger tires.

I'm putting a aux tank into my fj80. I won't be needing my tool anymore. PM me if you're interested.
I'm taking it on an off-road trip Friday, so coast to coast shipping in this time frame may not be worth it. Thanks for offering to help.

The dealer is correct that the 91-97 tools are the same. That's why I wanted to find a complete set of tools from another year. The handles and interconnecting long sections varied from year to year. The "C" (or "J") end of the part appears to be the same for most years, the the part NUMBER is different because they change how the sections go together.

Check out your local club board forsale/wanted section. Someone is very likely to have a parts rig with these tools lying around rusting.

Alternately, look for a pick-n-pull parts yard or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom