"Missing Air Injection System"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Colorado emissions just combed thru my NTM '94 1FZ-FE, like a drug interdiction team; engine bay and underneath. Failed me, with a CO GPM that is 3.5 times the limit of 20. Their visual inspection noted, "Air Injection System Presence: FAILED". This was definitely something they look for visually, not just a reading. they paid special attention the intake manifold and the firewall area. They would not share more information, of course.

My motor looks like all the rest, far as i can tell. It runs great. Idles smooth and consistent. No check engine light. No codes. Is this a motor component, or catalytic. I'm handy and I work on my truck. I do notice that the MAF (really a Volumetric on 93 & 94) has silicone on the seal. But, other than that it looks normal.

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7357.JPG

Well, they are complete F'n morons.

All the air injection system is there on the right side of the engine, near the front. Also the other components are hanging off the air intake filter housing.

You need to find the correct authority and gripe at them about this shop.

Attachments

• 172-173_Layout_And_Schematic_Drawing.pdf
    208.2 KB · Views: 76
Thanks, for the schematic, @BILT4ME . I'll take that in to them. But, now the harder question becomes, since the high CO level is not directly tied some missing hardware, "What's the usual suspect, on high CO levels?".

I'm looking at that green label EGR; looks pretty old. At $200, I'll have to get myself a vacuum check. If there are any other ideas, much appreciated.

Last edited:
IMG_7355.JPG

Yeah that is pretty ridiculous, it's right there in plain sight. You didn't even use the special Wits' End key chain to "pay homage" to PAIR Keychain- Model 05. :rofl:

Last edited:
View attachment 2402355
Yeah that is pretty ridiculous, it's right there in plain sight. You didn't even use the special Wits' End key chain to "pay homage" to PAIR Keychain- Model 05. :rofl:

Good to know. It was such an out-there statement that I didn't even know how to respond to the kid at the end of the production line, who just parrots what's written on the paper. xAll the "experts" had evaporated by then. There were 4 guys huddled under my hood all with flashlights; wish I took a picture. At first I was thinking, "They must really like 80s!". With this being the first inspection on a truck I purchased private-party, out of state, and of lady of a certain age, I was in a shame spiral. Now I think I just need an EGR and maybe the EVAP canister. All the other hoses check out. Feel free to point me to a dark corner I'm not looking at, based on your good experience. My only real concern is that VAS.

Thanks, for the schematic, @BILT4ME . I'll take that in to them. But, now the harder question becomes, since the high CO level is not directly tied some missing hardware, "What's the usual suspect, on high CO levels?".

I'm looking at that green label EGR; looks pretty old. At $200, I'll have to get myself a vacuum check. If there are any other ideas, much appreciated.

I would start with the normal stuff:
Check for any stored fault codes. Some codes may not turn check engine light on
New spark plugs properly gapped and proper heat range specifications
Check plug wires for proper resistance and general visual inspection. Replace with OEM Toyota. Those blue wires are something other than that
New cap and rotor, again OEM parts
Set engine timing to factory setting of 3 degrees before top dead center
Check for vacuum leaks
93-94 models are know to need new O2 sensor replacements more frequently than other years
Check condition/functionality of the EGR system (normally more related to high NOX readings)
Exhaust system leaks before O2 sensors
Catalytic convertor blockages

Some good info in search as well. Here are a couple:

Good to know. It was such an out-there statement that I didn't even know how to respond to the kid at the end of the production line, who just parrots what's written on the paper. xAll the "experts" had evaporated by then. There were 4 guys huddled under my hood all with flashlights; wish I took a picture. At first I was thinking, "They must really like 80s!". With this being the first inspection on a truck I purchased private-party, out of state, and of lady of a certain age, I was in a shame spiral. Now I think I just need an EGR and maybe the EVAP canister. All the other hoses check out. Feel free to point me to a dark corner I'm not looking at, based on your good experience. My only real concern is that VAS.
Read up on passing emissions tests on here.

First and foremost, take it for a 30+ minute hot drive to get it good and warmed up.

Fill it with ethanol fuel (E10), Pour two or three bottles of HEET fuel additive into the tank before you go on this drive.

Keep the engine warmed up well before you get tested so try not to wait in line.

If you have no codes, make sure you check and clear them ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom