Mirrors for Trail Rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last outing smashed my DS mirror on a tree, currently duct-taped together. Both mirrors tabs have been broken for a while (the glass is wobbly in the mirror and won't stay where put). Has anyone replaced these mirrors with cheap aftermarket, easily removable mirrors (maybe like Jeep mirrors)? I'm looking for something to get me to the trail and back that can either come off at the trail or if I smash it up it's cheap enough to replace that I don't care... any thoughts?

OK so I figured this one on my own. I bit the bullet and spent $54 on Amazon for a pair of Rugged Ridge 11025.12 Black Rectangular Quick Release Mirrors, which I believe are for a TJ or JK. I figured if it didn't work, I'd just return them and be out a few bucks for shipping. Turns out they fit well with a little bit of effort. Have not had them on the road yet (only have one side mounted) but the cool thing is they are easily removable so if you want to take them off when you hit the trail, you just use the thumbscrew to remove one bolt and throw them in the trunk.

mirror2.jpg

mirror1.jpg

Parts/Tools Needed
  1. QTY 4 5/8" x 2" stainless steel bolts with 4 flat washers, 4 lock washers, and 4 nuts. Don't quote me on the bolt diameter... I THINK it's right, but check for yourself first.
  2. Gasket maker material (the nasty black stuff)
  3. At least 6" x 6" of sheet metal
  4. Spray paint (primer and top coat)
  5. Jigsaw with metal blade or cut-off-wheel and a hand file to clean up the cuts
  6. Appropriately sized metal drill bits

Installation
  1. Disconnect mirror electrical: You will have to actually disconnect the wiring inside the door, so remove the door card and peel back the portion of the plastic wrap nearest the front of the truck. If you look on the inside leading edge of the door, you'll see a little black plastic fastener popping through from inside the door... this is where the mirror harness connector is. I disconnected it (you will have to release the plastic fastener as well to remove the wiring) and then zip-tied the remaining wire to the door crossbar to keep it out of he way of the window mechanism.
  2. Remove mirror housing (3 bolts inside the truck behind triangular panel), remove the exterior triangular plastic part as well (you will need this out for the wiring to come out too).
  3. Make a cardboard template of a triangular piece to cover the hole. Leave enough room on all sides to apply a layer of gasket maker so you can properly seal the opening with your plate.
    plate.jpg

4. Cut the plate to size.
  5. You can re-use the top mirror bolt hole, but you will need to drill a forward lower one since the mirror bracket sits at an angle (I used the A-pillar angle of the window to determine). I temporarily bolted the mirror's bracket in through the top hole (sans custom plate) and marked the hole on the body. I then drilled and test fit everything.
  6. Hold the plate on the outside, mark the two holes for the mirror bracket from the inside, check them with the bracket itself for accuracy, then drill out the two holes in the plate.
  7. Test fit everything then prime and paint the plate.
  8. Assemble with gasket maker between door frame and plate and tighten mirror bracket.
One thing I didn't do, which I may determine is necessary later, is drill a third hole in the plate for the lower rear hole in the door to allow a third bolt. I didn't think this was necessary since the sheetmetal I used seemed strong enough to create contact all the way around when the mirror was tightened down, but we'll see how things go down the road.

Here's a photo with both sides installed:
final1.jpg

final2.jpg

Last edited:
So the mirrors pivot in the mount - you can tuck them closer to the body, but that will move the mirror face further back in the window. If you are tall and sit towards the back of the seat rails, that's fine and might achieve what you are looking for. I can't judge until I get the other one on, but it does seem to match well with the black window surrounds and honestly doesn't look THAT out of place on the truck. Makes it look more NATO special than mall cruiser haha.

I bought a cheap oe replacement set through eBay. The brand when they came was Kool Vue. Oe power replacement mirrors. I think they were about $55 each. Seem to be holding up just fine. Not removable but they do fold flat just like the originals.......

I did the exact same thing with the Rugged Ridge round mirrors. You rectangle ones look better.

I did the exact same thing with the Rugged Ridge round mirrors. You rectangle ones look better.

My only concern is the rectangular ones are bound to be more noisy. However, I'm not DDing this rig anymore, so it may not be an issue.

So the mirrors pivot in the mount - you can tuck them closer to the body, but that will move the mirror face further back in the window. If you are tall and sit towards the back of the seat rails, that's fine and might achieve what you are looking for. I can't judge until I get the other one on, but it does seem to match well with the black window surrounds and honestly doesn't look THAT out of place on the truck. Makes it look more NATO special than mall cruiser haha.

yeah, sorry not trying to be critical, I think they look great! was just wondering if the arm needs to be shortened. Nice work and ingenuity!!

Stock on my old patrol.

mud4.jpg

They fold back when they are pushed against trees/scrub, no tools/removal required.

Of course you would need to drill a few holes and bolt them on :)

cheers,
george.

Uploaded some final install pics of both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom