Mirror base screw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Damn, when it rains it pours. I’m headed up to the hardware shop this morning and my mirror fell off. Does anyone know off the top of their head, what size screw is in the base of that mirror housing?

Thanks

Robert

Tied up with work this morning and probably wont get to it. Bor a beter explanation, it is the screw that goes up through the mirror housing on the bottom and holds the mirror it. If I don't hear back, I can always take the mirror on the passenger side and remove the screw but I was worried about it breaking the mount due to age so I was wanting to avoid that approach.

Thanks

Robert

Iirc it's the same screw as the 4 that go into the back of the mirror housing. You can pull one to size up a replacement or use in its place

Iirc it's the same screw as the 4 that go into the back of the mirror housing. You can pull one to size up a replacement or use in its place
Correct. All five screw are the same 5mm (not M5) x 12 mm long. The thread form is not a machine screw, or a sheetmetal screw. It's one of the special JIS threads for plastic.

Side mirror hold down screw.jpg

@Herrett did the screw actually back out, or did the plastic break off where the screw should be?

Some double-sided foam tape fixed the latter issue for me for the last couple of years.

FYI, this is a common know issue with the power mirrors. The manual ones are more robust, but the power mirrors have a poorly designed bracket that always breaks. I'd suggest doing some reading here, it most likely matches your problems:

I just ordered and received your Shakey mirror fix bracket. I’ll check the box for screws.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom