MiniTruck axles for a '79 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

phishtaco

Cincinnati
Threads
I'm looking to buy a '79 Fj40 and the owner says it has a bad rear pinion. Would swapping mini axles into this be a good or bad thing? Would the knuckles still have to be rotated on a SOA?
thanks.

Like Gumby mentioned, the mini rear axle is centered, not a good optinon with the offest rcruiser t/c.

The front axles arn't bad... but not as beefy as the Cruiser one, they do have more rotation than a stock FJ40. Why not just replace the rear 3rd with a complete used one? I sell them all the time form $50-100... easy swap, under 2 hrs...

Kurt's got it-just buy a used 3rd member and swap. Man-a-fre has used 3rds for $50 on their website right now!

I say it is a bad thing because your front diff will be 3.70 and the mini diff would be 4.11. Get a 3rd from an 81-84 FJ60 and it will fit the driveshaft bolt pattern, gear ratio (US), etc.

Dave

Uh, the axles are identical, but the Cruiser diff is larger.

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=1;threadid=10025;start=msg89455#msg89455 date=1073971595]
Uh, the axles are identical, but the Cruiser diff is larger.
[/quote]

What?

mini axles fit in a Cruiser diff. Same spline count and diameter.

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=1;threadid=10025;start=msg89475#msg89475 date=1073972342]
mini axles fit in a Cruiser diff. Same spline count and diameter.
[/quote]

Only the short side inner and both outers are the same dimensionally...

Front end.

-Steve

Thanks for the info :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom