Minimum knuckle support?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the middle of my front end rebuild but I have a question before I continue further.

I currently have the LCAs, shocks, and sway bar links disconnected. Can I disconnect the UCAs too, or will that be too much strain on the CV axles? I wanted to get everything off at the same time so that I could take it all in one trip to my friend's house to use his press.

Thanks

Just pull it all 'while you're in there' and refurb the CVs. It's not that much more work and maybe $150-$200 in oem parts (diff seals, boot kits, not including bearing repack items of course). You'll be good for another 150-200kish.

I would not want the weight supported on the CV's. The metal parts would probably be fine but you risk damaging a boot which is a very messy job to fix.

You could remove the snap ring on the CV shaft, remove brake caliper, then pop the tie rod end and upper ball joints and remove the hub/knuckle entirely.

I would not want the weight supported on the CV's. The metal parts would probably be fine but you risk damaging a boot which is a very messy job to fix.

You could remove the snap ring on the CV shaft, remove brake caliper, then pop the tie rod end and upper ball joints and remove the hub/knuckle entirely.
Uff sounds like a lot of work. I balanced a block on wood under it for now and removed the UCAs. If I'm lucky and can get all my joints and bushings pressed out/in tomorrow, I'll reinstall.

Uff sounds like a lot of work. I balanced a block on wood under it for now and removed the UCAs. If I'm lucky and can get all my joints and bushings pressed out/in tomorrow, I'll reinstall.

Use some tie wire to secure it in addition to teh block supporting most of the weight

Use some tie wire to secure it in addition to teh block supporting most of the weight
Good idea. I'll try to find something tomorrow. more than likely I won't get everything pressed tomorrow and it'll end up sitting for a week..

Edit: Just realized I have some ratchet straps. Those should do the trick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom